Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Stuffed Animal Troubles

DS1 is completely obsessed with this stuffed pig he's had since birth. He walks around with is all day and chews/sucks on it, it's gross. I wash the pig every chance I get (mainly because he doesnt let his chubby little hands let go of it more than 5 minutes) but it still smells and its slowly deterierating.(sp?) So my questions are:

1. anyone know of what to use to clean it to help the stink go away?

and/or

2. How do i begin to break him of the piggy habit? I mean homeslice is only going to make it a few 19838 more washes until he comes out of the dryer in pieces.

Thanks! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Stuffed Animal Troubles

• Options

I don't have anything to offer for the second question since DD still walks around with the blanket she got from the hospital when she was born.  I went back to the hospital to buy another one to replace it but she only accepted the new in addition to her old one (the thing is starting to look like a long piece of yarn rather than a blanket)

As for cleaning you could try the same method that I use to freshen up towels.  It works for towels and bedding so I would think it would work on teddy bears too.  I looked it up on-line and I found a few places suggesting the mix for teddy bears.

https://lifehacker.com/5383447/top-10-time+saving-macgyver+style-cleaning-tricks

Scroll down to vinegar and baking soda for funky smelling towels.

• Options
    Baking soda in the washer can help pull out some of that stank. My LO has a bear named Broccoli, since birth that thing has been by her side. Little does she know when she started getting really attached to it after about a year old, I bought three more of the SAME bear. I am terrible, I know. But I am not going to take away her lil buddy, I would feel terrible. So we have gone through one bear, and she is on her second, has no idea I switched them out. I just washed bear #2 before I gave him to her to give the look of wear and tear, and now I don't deal with the stink and yucky germs anymore. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Add vinegar into your wash cycle...  and make sure he dries all the way through.
  • Options

Can you find the same pig somewhere and pop him into the pig rotation?  New pig for awhile, wash, old pig for awhile, wash... 

Vinegar does well to get rid of smelly smells in the wash.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

No advice but I am lmfao that you call the pig homeslice.  

My ds doesn't have a lovie which I am ok with but now at 4 yrs old he's sucking on his fingers.  Ugh, tough to take those away!

my niece had bunny and was about 10 when he finally went away.  It was traumatic for her.  Seeing the attachment at that old was crazy compared to a couple days of a whiny toddler that will soon forget.   But my kid sucks his fingers so take my story for what it's worth.  

• Options
    imagepitterpatter129:

Can you find the same pig somewhere and pop him into the pig rotation?  New pig for awhile, wash, old pig for awhile, wash... 

This. Both DSs have Jellycat bunnies that they adore. I bought them both a second one so they get rotated every few days and put through the wash. Neither kiddo minds at all. 

imageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

I would wash it in a lingerie bag- that should help keep it from getting so beaten up in the wash. Try spraying down with something before washing. 

I would also find some replicas ASAP and start incorporating them into a rotation.

• Options
    imagepitterpatter129:

This seems to be the obvious choice, but part of me feels like he eventually (hopefully?!?!) needs to give up the pig, so I'm hoping he will just watch piggy dearest slowly get smaller and scrawnier(again with the spelling) and maybe realize its time. Yes I know, I'm coo coo for cocoa puffs. But really kid... It's a stuffed pig.

Mother of the year right here.  

• Options

my dd is totally addicted to her bunny (jelly cat soother)

so we have 6 :) (originally had 3 - but got another 3 recently - we call these the 'nice babas' and those only stay at home!!)

they get gross at daycare, cause she carries it around for most of the day, so I take it off her when we get home and give her a clean one. She knows that there is more than one (sometimes sleeps with 3 lol)

I figure it's a comfort to her - especially at daycare - and I'm not going to take it away any time soon, so I just keep them clean! I've heard it's a good thing at daycare IF they feel like they need one - makes them feel secure.

only thing is bunny used to equal thumb in her mouth (as she rubs it with one hand while sucking her thumb to get to sleep)

I told her NO thumb sucking when we're not in bed (leaving baba in bed just wasn't an option for us - WAY too addicted - the screaming all day wasn' worth it for us....) Instead I just said you can have baba with you - but no thumbin your mouth, or I'm putting baba back up in your crib. She's starting to be MUCH more concious of it - and not thumb sucking as much - I'm hoping it'll continue to the point where she only thumb sucks to sleep then eventually not at all!

• Options
    We started having this problem a couple of months ago, and once her 'baby' (little stuffed pink bunny) started really getting dirty and gross, I tried a few times to ninja the thing away from her before I went to take it from her at bathtime. BUt, instead of throwing it in the washer, I decided to give her 'baby' a bath right there in her old baby tub, and she was excited to help scrub the thing clean. We actually washed it through very well, it smelled like a newborn after that, all nice and pink, plus it didn't damage the already deteriorating fur (it was a hand-me-down from MY grandma, so it's getting pretty raggety). Anyway, we just made that our new 'thing' whenever she started getting too dirty, and it works great!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"