VBAC
Options

experience after csection and experience after vbac

What was your csection recovery like? ie how long in hospital? in bed? etc

What was your VBAC recovery like?

I have only ever had a csection and was wondering what the difference was like when recovering from a VBAC. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: experience after csection and experience after vbac

• Options

Birth is hard work either way, but I got back to normal a lot faster after my VBAC. 

I'll be honest, I was surprised about how exhausted/sore I was after my VBAC. I pushed for two hours with DS2 and had a second degree tear, so I was tired, and it was hard to move. But! I was only really laid up after my VBAC for 2-3 days. After that point, I was still recovering, but it wasn't hard getting up and down, etc. I felt pretty much back to normal by 2 weeks, and I never took anything stronger than ibuprofen.

With my c/s, I pushed for 4+ hours before having it, and had been in labor for a full day+, so I was really worn out afterwards. Hard to move, etc. etc., and I remember being wiped out going to the store with my MIL 3 weeks postpartum with him. I think it took the full 5-6 weeks before I felt "normal".

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    My csection recovery was terrible. I was at the hospital for an extra day, i could hardly do anything for myself for about 2 weeks, I didn't feel "normal" for over a month

With my vbac, I was easily moving within a short time, my nurse kept fussing at me. I wasn't hardly in any pain. I did have quick labor and pushed for less than 10 minutes, but I tore and had an episiotomy. Baby is 3 weeks old today, and I have felt like my self for well over a week.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My c/s was at 9:20PM, and I didn't get out of bed until 4 o'clock the next day.  I couldn't eat solid food until dinner the next day, and I spent 3 nights (including the night immediately after my c/s) in the hospital.  My recovery wasn't horrible as far as c/s go, but it was still a recovery.  I could feel if I was trying to do too much, and I swear it took me 2 weeks to have the color return to my face. 

I wound up not getting an epi with my VBAC, and an hour after delivery, I was out of bed and in the shower. I was able to eat lunch after that.  I spent 2 nights in the hospital, and when I got home, I was fine.  My bottom was a little swollen, but a few days of Advil took care of that.  I know that not all labors and vaginal deliveries are as easy as mine were, but I felt like I hardly had a recovery.  And having a 2 year old at home to take care of along with a newborn, that was a huge difference.

I had an OB appt on Friday and the OB I saw asked me if my VBAC was easier, and I answered him yes.  He replied, "from immediately after, right?" and he was right.  For me, it was easier from the moment my baby was delivered. 

"Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • Options

With my c-section, I spent 3 nights in the hospital, but wish I had stayed for the fourth.  I was in a lot of pain, but I managed to do most things with some assistance. I was about 80% healed within 4-5 weeks, and that's where it dragged on and on. I didn't feel 100% until DD was about 17months old.  I had pain, soreness and just the general feeling that my body wasn't mine any more (crazy, I know). I think some of it was mental, because I just couldn't get over how things ended up. I couldn't look at or touch my incision site for over a year.

My VBAC was amazing - physically and mentally. Yes - birth hurt like hell and I was screaming like a banshee.  But, I was up and around the next day. I could pick up my toddler immediately.  I had some tearing, some broken blood vessels on my face and some wicked hemmies. But, I'd say I felt 100% at about 3 weeks pp.  I was also ready to be intimate again so much faster with my VBAC - which you would think would be the opposite.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My vbac recovery was so much easier than my c/s. But I had HELLP w/ my first and so it's hard for me to know what a normal c/s was like. I had to have my c/s under general anesthesia because my blood wasn't clotting enough to get a spinal. I was in the hospital for 6 days. The first 24 hours after my c/s, I had to stay in my bed b/c I was on magnesium sulfate. After that, I had to go on bp medication before I could leave the hospital. And I just felt awful. So it's really hard for me to compare the two since my c/s experience was so traumatic. My vbac on the other hand was great. I had some issues with healing afterwards but emotionally I felt so much better. I rode my vbac high for some time. :) I had issues with hemmies but that paled in comparison with my c/s experience. I also don't know if this was because of the c/s or the medication or the HELLP but with my first c/s recovery, I had horrible night sweating. I would wake up completely drenched in sweat. I didn't have that with my vbac. I felt so much more "normal" overall with my vbac.
    DS1: August 2009 (emergency c/s, HELLP syndrome) DS2: September 2012 (VBAC)
  • Options

imagemargeincharge3:
    . I also don't know if this was because of the c/s or the medication or the HELLP but with my first c/s recovery, I had horrible night sweating. I would wake up completely drenched in sweat. I didn't have that with my vbac. I felt so much more "normal" overall with my vbac.

I think night sweats might be part and parcel of a c/s.  I remember having nights sweats for a month or 2 on and off after my c/s, but it never happened with my VBAC.  I think I retained so much water after my surgery - my feet and legs were puffy for 2 weeks - that my body had to do everything possible to get rid of it, including night sweats. 

"Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • Options
    I had and am still having night sweats after my vbac.
  • Options
    Oh my gosh, as I have told others, having a VBAC was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I could not believe how much easier recovery was! Personally, many of the often-mentioned discomforts of vaginal birth weren't too bad for me. And having the mobility to take care of my toddler was so important to adjusting to having 2 at home. So, yeah, my vaginal birth recovery was SO much better!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

csection was difficult.  4 or 5 days in hospital.  the birth was horrible.  i was put under.  i was on really strong meds for awhile afterward to deal with the pain.  i hated it.

with my VBAC, it was maybe 3 days in hospital.  the only pain was that it was difficult to sit for a little more than two weeks (2nd degree tear).  at three weeks right now, i am fine.  with the csection, i was still in pain for much longer.

also, i only pushed for 20 minutes.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"