Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Toddler sleep

My son will be 3 in March and has always been a great sleeper going to bed without a complaint, sleeping through the night, etc. Recently though, he's started manipulating us by request more and more books at bedtime then screaming when we leave. I've tried letting him cry briefly, but then he gets so worked up he can't settle down and I end up going back in there anyway and reading "one last book". Tired of the battle each night. Recommendations anyone?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Toddler sleep

• Options

Congratulations - you have just taught him that screaming will get him that next book that you said no to.  Frustrating, isn't it?  I've been there, done that, and I know I'll be doing it again in the future myself.

BUT!  It's important that you recognize what happened there - you were not consistent in your behavior and you rewarded his behavior that you wanted to get rid of.

So, rather than rewarding the bad behavior, reward the good.

When he asks for another book, and you say no, that's the end of it.  No more conversation about it.  Continue with your routine.  When he starts to scream, leave the room, and wait for him to be quiet.  (I did not say calm; I realize that's a whole different thing. :) )  Then go back in (the reward) when he's able to be quiet.  Keep extending the length of time he needs to be quiet (over days, weeks if necessary).

(Why yes, I do behavior modification training.  Why do you ask? ;) )

Maybe this *exact* approach won't work for you - every kid and parent is different.  But I encourage you to look at what you are all doing, decide exactly what (reasonable) behavior you want, and then make sure NOT to reward the bad behavior (keeping in mind that means whatever is rewarding TO HIM) and DO reward the good behavior.

IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with the previous poster. DD tried this same thing with us a few months ago, but we knew we were being manipulated so we put our foot down early and it stopped pretty quickly. Of course you are going to have a bigger battle since your LO learned that tantrums get him/her what they want. PP have good advice for what to do. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"