Parenting after a Loss

Talk to me about spoon feeding...

We were planning to do BLW with DD, and I feel like we got off to a decent start, but DH is super worried about choking, so we decided we are going to do mostly purees until she's a little older. But spoon feeding has honestly been scarier for me than letting her mush sticks of roasted sweet potato herself. The last two times I've tried to spoon feed her, she starts gagging and then throws up... a lot. Is this just normal for babies introduced to their first solids this way? I've honestly never fed a baby and have no idea what I am doing.

imageimageimageTTC since 07/11 | natural m/c 08/11 | BFP 12/6/2011 | Elinor Anna born 8/18/2012 | BFP #2 1/16/2014
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Talk to me about spoon feeding...

• Depends on what you are giving her.  Msybe she does not like it?   Have you used www.wholesomebabyfood.com as a guide? It helped us tremendously with DS.  DS ate pretty much everything but gagged at this fresh green bean puree I made...and to be honest, it was gag-worthy.   I think we started with the boxed Gerber oatmeal/banana with actual fresh bananas mashed in and moistened with BM.  He gagged with the rice cereal that we actually tried first.
    DS born 2009
    BFP#2 ~ 8/2/11, EDD 4/11/12, D&C 9/12/11 at 9w5d
    BFP#3 ~ 4/15/12, EDD 12/21/12 ~ DD born 12/22/12
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagemelly918:
    Depends on what you are giving her.  Msybe she does not like it?   Have you used www.wholesomebabyfood.com as a guide? It helped us tremendously with DS.  DS ate pretty much everything but gagged at this fresh green bean puree I made...and to be honest, it was gag-worthy.   I think we started with the boxed Gerber oatmeal/banana with actual fresh bananas mashed in and moistened with BM.  He gagged with the rice cereal that we actually tried first.

It's been sweet potato both times, which she's eaten herself and done fine with. I'm going to make some other stuff tomorrow from a recipe book I have. I'm just freaking out.

imageimageimageTTC since 07/11 | natural m/c 08/11 | BFP 12/6/2011 | Elinor Anna born 8/18/2012 | BFP #2 1/16/2014
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It will be ok.  Just experiment with other foods and you will find what she likes.  Purees worked great with DS and even today he is one of the least pickiest eaters I know! :)
    DS born 2009
    BFP#2 ~ 8/2/11, EDD 4/11/12, D&C 9/12/11 at 9w5d
    BFP#3 ~ 4/15/12, EDD 12/21/12 ~ DD born 12/22/12
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Sweet potatoes can be kind of pastey. I mix a lot of bm/formula when i give them to matthew. Butternut squash went over very well bc its pretty thin.

Eta neither of mine had any gagging/throwing up issues with spoon feeding. She will get it keep trying! I would try a super thin puree.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Though we didn't have any issues, I've read about others who've had a similar experience to yours and the "trick" was to just start with a really thin puree.  Good luck!! She'll get it soon :)
    Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

My blog about raising 2U2!
  • We didn't have any issues. I'm thinking it may be the consistency. I'd try thinning it out.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
  • I agree with previous posters, start with really thin purees.  It really only took about 4 days for DS to get the hang of swallowing and not just pushing them back out.  Now after about two weeks he actually does a little better with a bit of texture, but it took some practice to get there.

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• G has been gagging too. Not throwing up though. I assume it's because they're just learning to swallow food that's a new consistency. We served butternut squash yesterday, and I wanted to BLW but DH already had it mashed up. We've also opted for a combination. I'm with pp...thinning with BM should help. I just hate using any of my pumped milk unless it's absolutely necessary :]
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD gagged a lot when we first started solids. She'll still do it every now and then when we intro a new texture. She spit up a couple times, too. I just took it as a natural reflex to gagging.

At this point, it's pretty normal to gag and try to push the food out with her toung. She's still learning how to swallow something other than milk. I agree with the other ladies, try a thinner pur?e and after she gets the hang of it, you can thicken it back up. Eating right now is more educational than nutritional. Let her play with the food and get her hands in it and get it all over her face! Smile She'll get the hang of things.   

photo e9455f4d-9751-469e-a19f-460104cd2e5c.jpg photo jan15.jpg
    BFP #1 5/20/10 Natural MC at 5w4d 5/28/10
    BFP #2 11/3/10; BO at u/s 10w6d 12/16/10; Natural MC 1/7/11; D&C 4/21/11
    BFP #3 10/27/11 Please stick, LO!! 2/6/12 It's a Girl! Alexis Grace born 6/29/12
    BFP#4 4/27/14 Stick, stick, stick!! 8/11/14 It's a Boy! Evan Wesley born 1/8/15
    "Patience is waiting. Not passively waiting. That is laziness. But to keep going when the going is hard and slow, that is patience."  Let it Be (blog)My BFP Charts
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    This time I'm not leaving without you.
  • Sounds like good advice above. I have heard it can be gut wrenching to go through the gagging/chocking phase Sad

Me: 37 DH: 40 TTC since 9/09
    #1 BFP 1/10/11; missed m/c discovered 7w5d
    IF Dx: Endo, hetero MTHFR mutation, poor morphology
    #1 IUI: 1/18/12 = BFN
    #1 IVF/ICSI 4/2/12 = 2 x 7-cell and 1 x 5-cell transferred (3dt) = BFP!!
    H was born at 41w2d on 12/29/12 - be still my heart!
    #2 IVF/ICSI 1/19/14 = 2 x 8 cells transferred (3dt) = BFP!! EDD 10/09/14
    M&W born at 37 weeks on 9/18/14 - I am the momma of 3 boys!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thank you SO MUCH for all of the advice, everyone. I feel totally silly, but honestly I have no clue what I'm doing. We did a thin oatmeal this morning and she ate a little, but mostly just seemed to think we were crazy! At least she didn't throw it back up. We'll just keep trying and try to be patient.

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"