Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Most important purchases going 1 to 2 kids?

Hi!

I have a 20 month old little girl and am due with LO #2 this Halloween.  (So my DD will be 28 months when LO #2 is born).  Can any parents of two tell me your must have purchases for going from one to two kids under 3?

Many Thanks! 

Mom of one perfect toddler. Just found out #2 is on the way! Whoa! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Most important purchases going 1 to 2 kids?

• Options

Right now my focus is finding a good baby carrier to wear DS2 and I just got my new double stroller, the Valco Snap Duo which I LOVE.  It is lightweight & can be used with newborns-so I'm hoping to get out for walks this summer/spring with the boys. It was much nicer than I expected (although pricey)...since your DD is older you might be able to do a sit-n-stand.

My other big project is making sure I have my house childproofed more before DS2 gets here.  Other than that (& another crib ) I think we will be good, other than baby basics you always have to get.

TTC January 2010
    BFP #1 10-11-10 ectopic discovered 10-22-10, 10-23-10 methotrexate & emergency surgery, lost right tube BFP #2 12-1-10 Found to be tissue dropped from salingectomy or missed heterotopic pregnancy from BFP #1 BFP #3 1-30-11 DS arrived on due date 10-10-11 BFP #4 Surprise 9-3-12 EDD 5-9-13 DS2 arrived 5-5-13 BFP #5 5-14-14 Emergency D&C 6-16-14 9 weeks
  • Options

Other than getting a stroller that works for you and car seats that fit, no. I don't do tons of gadgets and gimmicky baby things, so there wasnt much I added when adding kids. I usually had a big enough diaper bag to begin with and replaced them when they got worn out anyhow. 

My first answer was going to be earplugs, but not sure if you shared the same sense of humor. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    A BABYSITTER!!!

Ha Ha ;-)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options

Like pp, I got a baby carrier so I can run after a toddler (went with an ergo). I have replaced bottle nipples and pump parts. I got a few outfits, as our seasons are off a bit, but other than that, not much!

Oh, and we debated getting second crib, but opted to go ahead and transition DS1 to a bed, so we bought a twin bed, mattress and dresser. Those were important purchases!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My first was 21 months old when my second was born so for me having a good baby carrier loved my Moby and a good double stroller we got the Phil and teds double . We also replace the bottles with each kid not sure why we just do. A good diaper bag is a must too. I know with having my third I made up some little bags of activities my oldest could do so if she needed something to do and I couldn't really give her my attention I could pull one of those out and it kept her busy for ten minutes or so which is amazing with a newborn in the house.
  • Options

This is what we have purchased or will be purchasing soon.  DD2 is due to arrive when DD1 is 22m.

Double stroller

2nd camera for our video monitor

2nd sound machine

2nd humidifier

2 more seat protectors for the car seats (we both have leather seats)

New nursery decor (crib bedding, changing pad cover, curtains, wall hangings, clock, etc.)

New furniture for DD1's room (all her furniture will go in new nursery, so she needed a toddler bed, dresser and bookshelf) 

2nd crib mattress (DD1 got a toddler bed which takes a crib mattress)

2nd contoured changing pad (DD1 is not PT so we will put her pad on her dresser and DD2 will get the changing table with 2nd pad)

Lots of diapers and wipes

Baby toiletries (more lotion, bubble bath, diaper cream, etc)

Another brush/comb set

2nd diaper pale (so we will have one upstairs between their bedrooms and one downstairs) and refills

Another waterproof crib mattress fitted pad

Big Sister, Big Girl Bed and Potty Training books for DD1 :)

Larger diaper bag (Ju Ju Be Be Prepared and accessories since I will have 2 in diapers)

Eventually will need 2 more convertible carseats since DD1 will still be in her's once DD2 is ready to transition 

Newborn size clothes.  We have tons of clothes from DD1 but we didn't buy much in newborn size bc everyone told us she won't wear them long.  But DD1 wore them for 2 months.  So we bought maybe 6 more outfits/jammies and a new take home outfit for her (say Little Sister on it).

Big Sister shirt for DD1 :)

That's all I can think of :) 

• Options

Thank you so much for sharing this great list!  

And Congrats on DD2!

Mom of one perfect toddler. Just found out #2 is on the way! Whoa! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Thanks so much for such a great list!  

Congrats on DD2! 

• Options
    Thank you!
  • Options
    earplugs and a baby sitter!  :)
  • Options
    We needed a second camera to go with our baby monitor. We just have one base that toggles between camera. I leave it on the nursery most of the time and switch to the toddlers room as needed. A lot of people just take it out of the toddlers room but I have found it useful to be able to check in there, too.
    m/c March 2009 @ 5 weeks ~ m/c June 2009 @ 10 weeks ~ m/c February 2012 @ 4.5 weeks Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"