Maryland Babies

Talk to me about moving out of the crib

How did you make this transition? How did it go? Did your child sleep with a blanket and/or pillow in the crib before moving to a bed?

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This

Re: Talk to me about moving out of the crib

• We moved DD into her big girl room about 5 weeks ago, and it has gone so well!

She did use a blanket in the crib, yes.   Sometimes a pillow too,  but sometimes she would just push it to the side.  In her new bed, she sleeps with a pillow and the comforter that came with her new set

We had a full size bed in our spare room, so we just moved her to that.  I worried it might be too big, but it doesn't seem to be.

We got these rails, and they have worked well.   Plus, we can break them down and take them places with us (i.e. to visit in-laws, weekends away, etc.) so that she can sleep in beds when we travel to (prior to now, she's always been in PNPs when we travel)

https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Bumpers-Portable-Child-Safety/dp/B003KEMMNG

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Just re-read your post.   As far as actually making the transition, we just did it one night.   We told her that she was going to sleep in her big girl bed now, and she said ok.   She has never tried to get out (knock on wood), even though we know she can (i.e. in the morning when we go to get her, and she wants to get out of bed herself).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We moved A to her big girl bed at around 20 months. We moved her from the crib to a full size bed with bed railings that I got from Walmart. Before we moved over to the big girl bed, we started to let her sleep with a blanket and a small pillow. We also painted her new room, bought a dresser and a small bookshelf. We definitely talked about moving to her room for a few days before actually putting her in the bed. She did so well with the new room. We moved her three months before C arrived.

She also has a small stool that she uses to get in and out of bed. 

Good luck with the transition. 

• We converted the crib to a toddler bed right around his second b-day when he figured out how to get out of the crib. Yeah, that didn't go so well......he would cry, get out of his bed in the middle of the night....

He actually did better when we switched him to a twin bed with a bedrail. I am crossing my fingers that B will not have the sleeping issues that S has, he is in our bed from about 3 every morning until we wake up.

Good luck.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Lilly will eventually go into a big girl bed but in the mean time to move smoothly into it we converted the crib...then will make the transition soon before baby arrives. She's doing very well so far and still won't get out until either we tell her too (because we're too lazy to get out of bed ha!) or we go get her.
    image DD#1-Lillian (Lilly) Grace BabyFruit Ticker BLOG:http://lifeasweknowitkelly.blogspot.com/
  • I'm keeping Lucy in her crib forever.  I like her contained Smile
    bumping from my phone. please pardon any typos and missing punctuation
  • We didn't switch B until this past summer when he was almost 4 and night trained for potty training. We felt it was time to switch him. He was getting too big for the crib. He never tried to climb out or anything. Obviously, he was sleeping with a blanket and pillow by then.

C started sleeping with a pillow and blanket last year about this time. We just switched her this past weekend to a bed. She was climbing out of her crib in the morning using her stuffed friends and I just thought it would be easier for her to get out of bed and not hurt herself.

We have toddler beds for both right now since Brendon's was free from a friend and Cecilia's is her crib(and B's old crib) from Ikea converted. They're also in a room together due to space in our condo so toddler beds are easiest right now. 

We just made the switch with both and they were fine with it. I think that may be because they're in a room together. They have been since we moved B to his bed. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • imagecamdenfaithful:
    I'm keeping Lucy in her crib forever.  I like her contained Smile

Haha! I like having DS contained too, but I don't want to get another crib, so we'll give this whole bed thing a shot! I am going to have to think about how to keep him in his room, or at the very least, upstairs. Our upstairs is like yours - a small hallway and a bunch of doors - so shouldn't be too hard.

Pregnancy Ticker

• imageSarahKate31:

imagecamdenfaithful:

Haha! I like having DS contained too, but I don't want to get another crib, so we'll give this whole bed thing a shot! I am going to have to think about how to keep him in his room, or at the very least, upstairs. Our upstairs is like yours - a small hallway and a bunch of doors - so shouldn't be too hard.

Bailey is staying in the crib as long as possible. I like knowing she's contained and can't get into anything in her room. I just feel like she'll prowl around at night and not sleep! She does well in the crib, so I'm not rocking that boat for a while. Eventually, maybe at 2.5 and definitely by 3 we'll convert her crib into a toddler bed.

We got an Ikea Sundvik crib for baby #2 for $120. This too turns into a toddler bed eventually, it's really cute and meets all safety standards, etc. I'm really grateful to not have to feel forced to move B out of her crib anytime soon. The $120 is worth that, for sure!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Someone's getting a little brother!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageMella&T:
    imageSarahKate31:

imagecamdenfaithful:

Bailey is staying in the crib as long as possible. I like knowing she's contained and can't get into anything in her room. I just feel like she'll prowl around at night and not sleep! She does well in the crib, so I'm not rocking that boat for a while. Eventually, maybe at 2.5 and definitely by 3 we'll convert her crib into a toddler bed.

We got an Ikea Sundvik crib for baby #2 for $120. This too turns into a toddler bed eventually, it's really cute and meets all safety standards, etc. I'm really grateful to not have to feel forced to move B out of her crib anytime soon. The $120 is worth that, for sure!

If we try it and he's just not ready, then oh well, we'll buy another crib. That has always been the back up plan, but I figure it's worth a shot to see if he's ready! I will toddler-proof the crap out of his room for sure! I already have a stash of all kinds of straps and locks, etc but I have the same concerns about him wandering around.

Pregnancy Ticker

• We transitioned Kieran about 3 weeks ago and it has gone so well.  I was really nervous but he's actually proven me wrong on how he handled the change.

To prepare since he was getting  a whole new room we continued to talk up his big boy room.  We let him pick out the room color and he got to the point where he was telling his teachers at school he was going to have a red room.  (We compromised with one red wall and three grey walls).  I found super cute sheets that were rediculously expensive, but cute none-the-less at Pottery barn.  Found cute art work and got his room ready.

Meanwhile we read stories on the bed and hung out in the new room more often then the nursery during waking hours.

By the time we made the transition he was very familiar and comfortable with the new room.

We only have a dresser and his bed in the room and limit only a few books in his room so he's not too distracted when it's bed or nap time.

He has a queen bed but it's an ikea bed with no box spring so he can climb in and out really easily (this is what we had in our guest room already).  Luckily he isn't able to open doors and he sleeps with his door shut so when he gets up in the morning he'll go wait at the door and cry or tell us he's all done.

We've had a few bumps during nap time but I think it's just because he only naps at home on the weekends and also because he has the freedom to get out of bed.  By limiting what he has in his room he gets bored and falls asleep eventually, just not always as quickly as before. 

In the crib he had one blanket and a few animal friends. In the bed we have pillows along the headboard and a few blankets along with the comforter. He moves a ton so he doesn't end up sleeping with the comforter which is why I gave him a few small blankets because they are small enough for him to cover himself during the night. He doesn't really use the pillow either, but it's good so he doesn't bang his head on the headboard.

Oh and we got these bedrails for either side of his bed. He's a huge mover and is usually flush up against it in the morning so I'm glad we have them. https://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=538868&cmSource=Search

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageMella&T:
    imageSarahKate31:

imagecamdenfaithful:

That's what we did with B. We gave C his old crib and we got the Sundvik crib from Ikea because it turns into a toddler bed. It's also low to the ground so hard to climb out of :) Well, C figured it out but she had animal help. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • E was young when we did the bed thing. I think she was like 18 months. She did much more co sleeping than her bed though. She's been in her bed since 28 mos more regularly though. It was easy, honestly. I have her room gated bc I won't close/lock her door. I can hurdle gate if something is an emergency. She loved her big girl bed rather than the crib and has done great. 

I would just make a big deal out of having a big bed and try it. I'm sure he will love it. It will be more frustrating to you if he gets out constantly. 

• We moved Sydney on a whim when she was 21-22 months old and it went GREAT. She did not sleep with a pillow before going to a bed, and now its been a year and sometimes she still doesn't use the pillow in her bed. She did have a blanket in the crib and still uses blankets.

She tried climbing out of her crib one day and so we decided to let her nap in the big bed. We had a bed rail on it and the other side was against the wall. She fell right asleep and she's been in the bed ever since. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• We did a little after DD turned 2 - she had tried to climb out of the crib once and fell/scared herself and never tried again (she's been sleeping w/ a blanket since she was 1 and a pillow since 2ish).  We wanted her in a toddler bed so we could use a real bed on vacation for her.  We got a knob cover for her bedroom.  She was great for the first 2 nights - we talked it up - big girls have big beds, etc. and we got a new big girl sheets, but the 3rd night she kept getting out of bed crying/screaming, etc.

I finally left her alone to CIO (I'm an awful mother) and she fell asleep on the floor with 90% of her clothes on in another hour.  I went in, changed her and put her to bed.  That was that the only bad night.  We took her knob cover off a few months ago but she stays in her room now.  We've talked ALOT about how you can only go to the potty or to Mommy & Daddy's room in the middle of the night.  She's tried testing it a few times, but she gets a very firm "NO - go to your room" and that seems to have abated that.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"