April 2012 Moms

little to no interest in food

My EBF 10 month-old has never really had much interest in food. She is dairy, soy, chicken and beef intolerant, so I have excluded these from my diet since she was a month old. We started purees at 6 months, but she has never finished even half a jar in one sitting. From 8-9.5 months she pretty much refused food all together. Now I can get her to eat bits of avocado, sweet pot, blueberries, pears, bananas, squash, but usually only once a day and she wants me to feed her with my fingers. She will feed herself puffs like a madwomen, but that is about it. Her doctors say she needs to start eating more meals, but I have no idea how to get her to consistently eat one meal let alone 3. I'm a little hesitant to give her whatever we eat, because she has had such bad GI issues. Btw, she has no teeth yet. Is anyone else going through the same feeding difficulties? What does your ped say? Are they worried? Thanks!

Re: little to no interest in food

• My lo was a great eater until her GERD got out of control. She refused all solids except puffs. She loves puffs! After we got it back under control we slowly started back up. I followed her lead. We tried twice a day and at times she ate nothing but a few puffs. Over the last month she just started to want to eat more and we increased to 3 meals. Our GI dr was more concerned about not eating solids than her normal pedi. She is formula fed and he had us decrease the amount she was drinking to 16-24 oz a day. He hoped this would make her more hungry for solids. Her pedi felt we should just wait and see a bit. He brought up the fact that solids before the age of one is cultural. As long as baby is growing and healthy he was ok with it. She is still not a big eater but its getting better. I feed her a mix of jar and really soft fruits and Vegs. She also will eat better if I use my hands to feed her. Our GI dr said that might be because she developed food aversions due to GI distress. When we first started back up she would scream if I tried to feed her with a spoon. She has slowly started to let me spoon feed again. It's has been a very slow and stressful process. I am always worried about what and how much to feed her. It's hard to know what to do. 
  • gosh if Ihad all of those intolerances/ allergies I am  not sure I would want to eat either!  poor LO. 

I don't think its a big deal if they don't want to eat yet.  All babies do their own thing in their own time.  As long as she isn't losing weight or too off of the charts thin, I think you are just fine feeding her whatever she likes at her own rate.

Aug 15 April Siggy challenge: Baby Shower fails:

BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I feel your pain.  DS will not eat anything except purees and it has to be by spoon.  He gags and throws up on puffs, 3rd foods, even semi chunky sweet potatoes that I tried yesterday.  He has zero interest in table food and I have never seen him pick up a piece of food and put it in his mouth.  It always ends up on the floor.  I have tried jello, yogurt, ice cream.  Nothing will work.  Let me know what works for you. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"