Potty Training

I screwed up what should I do now?

My son just turned 28 months. This past summer he started taking about the potty. So we got him a little potty and he loved to sit on it and read books. We didn't force out and itprobably took a good two months before he ever peed on it.By december he's consistently going pee or poo when we put him on the potty.
For the last 2 months he averages just 1 or 2 wet diapers per day. We have been putting him on the potty every 2 hours and he usually stays dry in between. However he almost never asked to go.
In the last 2 weeks he started announcing my diaper is dry or my diaper is wet. He also transferred to the preschool room at his daycare. Since this move he's been talking about which kids wear underwear and trying to.put on pants without a diaper. Today I put him in underwear fully expecting accidents.
Imstead on 2 separate occasions he went into the washroom refused pull down the underwear and refuse to sit on the potty and then stood in an area away from the toilet and peed or pooed on the floor. The first time I asked him if he knew where he was.supposed.to pee or poo and gave him the option of putting on underwear again or not. The second time he did.this I lost it yelled at him and put him back on a diaper. I know I messed up but I never expected he would intentionally go on the floor. Do we go back to underwear, go back to diapers and trying every two hours or back off entirely for a while?
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: I screwed up what should I do now?

• My number one rule in PTing is once you leave the diaper,  you don't look back. It just confuses the kiddo as to why it's sometimes okay to pee your pants, and others it's not. I can totally understand the frustration, I have yelled at my LO once, and I felt bad, but I was sick of cleaning poop off the carpet. A lot of times when kids are afraid of PTing, they will act out in these ways. We had a little girl in a daycare I worked at that would hide under the slide and poop her pants. Every. Day. She was just terrified of pooping on the potty.
    I say go full in, as long as he is acting ready. But also be prepared for these moments, they are pretty normal while a kid is still trying to figure everything out. Make an event of potty time so they get excited to go on the toilet, let them watch you go to see how it's done and try and have patience :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • I'd introduce a reward for going in the potty we did mms and put him in undies. Know that for the first week or so there will be accidents, be patient, and get some books about going on the potty and he'll get it :
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"