Baby Showers

How to go about getting addresses for thank you cards

Where I live, written invitations for baby showers are not the norm. Typically this is done by the hostess or family contacting those being invited.

I still have my address lists from my wedding two years ago, but much of this isn't up to date any more. 

To make matters trickier, many of my guests are from just outside of town where mail goes to a post box and not the house at all. 

How do I get the addresses I need for thank-you cards with out being rude?

I was going to attempt to hand deliver, but I don't think that's going to work out so well. 

BabyName Ticker

Re: How to go about getting addresses for thank you cards

• Honestly, I have had a lot of luck with whitepages.com or google. 
  • imagemsspeedymarie:
    Email or call and ask. It's not rude to ask for someone's mailing address. If they ask why, you can say that you want to send them a thank you card.

This....all of this.  However, I think it's funny (in the strange sense) that you would be inviting people that you wouldn't know how to get a thank you card to.  I don't know home addresses to people I work with, but I know how to get them a thank you card.  What do you do at Christmas time?  Where do you send them birthday cards?  Someone you know has to have an address, I use my mom or grandma as a last resource if I can't find/have misplaced an address

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Loading the player...
  • imageBallSox:

imagemsspeedymarie:
    Email or call and ask. It's not rude to ask for someone's mailing address. If they ask why, you can say that you want to send them a thank you card.

This....all of this.  However, I think it's funny (in the strange sense) that you would be inviting people that you wouldn't know how to get a thank you card to.  I don't know home addresses to people I work with, but I know how to get them a thank you card.  What do you do at Christmas time?  Where do you send them birthday cards?  Someone you know has to have an address, I use my mom or grandma as a last resource if I can't find/have misplaced an address

I'm not inviting anyone, the hostess is putting together the guest list, and taking care of inviting everyone.

I have the addresses for everyone I stay in close contact with, especially my side of the family. But for some of my husband's relations I don't have current addresses for.  I suppose I'll just have to hope that between my mother and my mother in law, I can fill in the few missing blanks in my address book.

BabyName Ticker
  • Where I'm from, it's pretty custom at any type of shower to have guests pre-address the "thank you" card envelopes while at the party.

Just buy your cards ahead of time and give the envelopes to your host. They can leave them at the placemats and then collect them or they can use it as a game and use the addressed envelopes as a raffle for a prize.

• imagelauren5228:

Where I'm from, it's pretty custom at any type of shower to have guests pre-address the "thank you" card envelopes while at the party.

Just buy your cards ahead of time and give the envelopes to your host. They can leave them at the placemats and then collect them or they can use it as a game and use the addressed envelopes as a raffle for a prize.

Honestly, some don't care about having to address their own thank you cards while others do.  That is why it is best to err on the side of caution and just find people's addresses. 

• imagehermitcrab:
    imageBallSox:

imagemsspeedymarie:

I'm not inviting anyone, the hostess is putting together the guest list, and taking care of inviting everyone.

I have the addresses for everyone I stay in close contact with, especially my side of the family. But for some of my husband's relations I don't have current addresses for.  I suppose I'll just have to hope that between my mother and my mother in law, I can fill in the few missing blanks in my address book.

Well look at that, you figured out how to get the thank yous to everyone!  If your hostess can invite them, they can help you get the thank yous out. 

Beyond that, if they "belong" to your husband, he can help you get the addresses you need. 

This really isn't that hard. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • imageBallSox:

Well look at that, you figured out how to get the thank yous to everyone!  If your hostess can invite them, they can help you get the thank yous out. 

Beyond that, if they "belong" to your husband, he can help you get the addresses you need. 

This really isn't that hard. 

I shall hope that the hostess can help. As for my husband, as darling as he is, he isn't the most reliable with these matters. 

I know it isn't hard, it will all get done, as it must be done. However this being 6 months pregnant business isn't helping the nerves any. I was an absolute wreck at the bridal shower, I spent the whole time worrying someone might be feeling left out, or my actions would somehow cause offense, or that I appeared too gracious or not gracious enough. 

I would have politely declined a baby shower, however the families seem to expect it. The woman who has kindly offered to host would be heartbroken if I turned down her offer.

I shall just have to ask those who ought to have the missing addresses, and hope I'm not causing any great inconvenience. 

The reason I posed the question was I wanted to be sure I went about this business of tracking down addresses the most tactful way possible. Now I see how silly it must look. You see, I don't want to cause any great bother. At the same time I would be mortified if a thank you card didn't reach the intended guest. 

BabyName Ticker
  • For my sisters shower that I hosted I did the address on the envelopes raffle game:) Worked perfectly.
  • imageAsbromle:
    For my sisters shower that I hosted I did the address on the envelopes raffle game:) Worked perfectly.

Unless the hostess writes all of the addresses on the envelopes do not do this.  It is rude to ask guests to address their own envelope.  I NEVER do it.  Meaning...I do not address an envelope if I go to a shower that does this...regardless if there is a raffle or not.  Why would there be a raffle anyway...a shower is not a fundraiser.  Do you really want a guest not to get a thank you just because they didn't address their own envelope?

Just ask the hostess, your DH's mother or your mother for the addresses.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"