May 2013 Moms

Epidural cost?

As a FTM, I just assumed an epidural would be covered by my insurance BCBS, but after talking to a friend, I'm now worried that it won't be covered. If I have to come up with close to an extra 1000 or more, that definitely changes my thoughts on getting an epidural...

What is your experience with extra costs I need to be prepared for? Right now, i pay a 400 deductible to my OB and a 150 hospital copay. I just don't want to be in shock when other huge bills show up...
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Epidural cost?

• My insurance covered 80 percent and the hospital wrote off part of it. I ended paying 900 out of pocket for the epidural. The Anesthesiologist came to my room 3 times though trying to fix it so that's probably why it was so expensive. You can always set up a payment plan if it's a big bill.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I want to say the bill on my first epidural was 9001000. I have bcbs and they covered it but i know theres probably a ton of plan options. Side note if u plan on pumping ask them if they cover breast pumps. They coverrd mine 100 with a doc Rx and someone i talked to said that most bcbs plans do!
  • Loading the player...
  • Have u called the insurance company yet?
  • Mine was covered by a BCBS PPO plan. Definitely call them now and ask. They may require a pre-authorization or that the anesthesiologist is in-network, which is something you would have to check in to at your hospital - you definitely want to get this taken care of now as opposed to when you are 4cm dilated about about to kill someone because you will probably not be worried about it then!

I should actually call and check, too, since I've switched group plans...still with BCBS but I'm on an HMO now. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimage
  • My bill for the epi was the same cost as my entire OB bill, but I only had a 10 co insurance to pay so it was totally worth it for me!
  • Holy eff all you are going to pay is $550?  I've already paid twice that much just for my OB (have to meet deductible) and a $350 up front fee for circumcision if it's a boy.  That doesn't cover any of the hospital fees.  Not to mention all my extra u/s I've had to have.

If I remember correctly all I had to pay on my epidural last time was like $200 or something for the anesthesiologist fee which was my insurance covering 80%.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • It would only be a percentage of the cost that you have to pay for.  IMO totally worth it.  By the time I went into the hospital I was screaming in so much pain for the epidural.  When they asked my pain level-- for the first time in my life I honestly could say 10! lol
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'd call but don't panic yet!

Mine was 100% covered as was the birth and hospital stay.

I have bc ppo 

IMG_5977lb
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

• imageKaricomo:
    I want to say the bill on my first epidural was 9001000. I have bcbs and they covered it but i know theres probably a ton of plan options. Side note if u plan on pumping ask them if they cover breast pumps. They coverrd mine 100 with a doc Rx and someone i talked to said that most bcbs plans do!

I just called my BCBS representative Friday and breast pumps are not covered under my plan. I wish I fell under the "most bcbs plans do" umbrella. :(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Im pretty sure I wont pay anything for any part of the birth.  I havent paid a cent yet and I see my Dr weekly.
    http://oi58.tinypic.com/nqv6fk.jpg

DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • One of the things on my to do list is call the insurance company and see exactly what is covered under my insurance and what is not. My husband and I were just having this discussion last week after our child birth class. Thankfully I got a supplemental insurance plan before I got pregnant and it pays out a certain amount of money to me per day in the hospital. I am hoping this money can help pay out the hospital bill balance. Also, I have a friend who had her first baby in October 2012 and when she got her itemized bill from the hospital she was furious to see she owed over 3K. She requested an itemized bill and went through it line by line only to find out the hospital owed her $100. Insane! I plan on doing the same exact thing, not just taking the hospital's word for it. Who knows what extra charges they add on. Just some food for thought.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Don't you have an OOP max or a max deductible? That should at least give you an idea of the extreme possibilities. Also, you can ask the hospital for the CPT codes and then call anthem, they should be able to give you a cost estimate. I have one of their ppo plans.
    Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • We have military insurance so everything is covered, but I will say that with my past birth experience I would have been willing to part with $$$ for an epidural.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"