Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

HCG Levels 4 wks later - natural miscarriage - no ultrasound

Hi all,

I've seen several posts on here about HCG levels being stubborn and not going back to 0. Its 4 weeks past my natural miscarriage and mine are still elevated. 

My question is, did any of not have an ultrasound after your miscarriage? My doctor says that its not necessary and she will just monitor my levels. However I feel like if my levels are still high after 4 weeks, then shouldn't an ultrasound be necessary to make sure that all the tissue is gone?

What were your experiences with this?

Re: HCG Levels 4 wks later - natural miscarriage - no ultrasound

• Options
    I would think they would want to check it out too. But all drs are different. Maybe you need to ask for an ultrasound, make sure to voice your feelings. 
  • Options

How high is 'high'?  My most recent loss was early, so they are following me down to 0 and no ultrasounds are scheduled.   However, I did have a later loss where I didn't need follow up ultrasounds but they did need to do a hysteroscopy to ensure tissue was all gone (it wasn't).

Me-42 DH-43 TTC #1 since 3/11
    HSG 7/11 showed possible blockage
    8/11 BFP, then early m/c  (Natural)
    9/11 blood tests reveal Factor V Leiden (heterozygous)
    11/11 Hysteroscopy revealed uterine septum, which was repaired
    12/11 1st round of Clomid (100mg)=BFN
    1/12 2nd round of Clomid (100mg)=BFN 
    2/12 Repeat HSG=All clear 
    2/12 IUI with injectables #1=BFN 
    3/12 natural cycle=BFN 
    4/12 IUI with injectables #2=C/P 
    7/12 IVF #1=30ER, 9F, 3T, 1 Frostie 7/29=BFP! 
    8/27/12 No Heartbeat. Waiting to M/C 
    9/13/12 D+C
    12/12 Operative Hysteroscopy 
    1/31/12  IVF#2 ...BFP 2/6 m/c 2/12 methotrexate due to presumed ectopic
    July '13 IVF #3: 13R, 10M, 8F=BFP
    1st Beta=549  2nd Beta 594 3rd Beta 422. M/C #5
    IVF#4 in November=BFP…TWINS!!!!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

4 weeks ago it was at 4K, she hasn't checked them again since then - just told me to keep taking home pregnancy tests and they are still coming up positive. 

I guess I'm just concerned that an early loss (missed miscarriage at 6 weeks - confirmed at 9 weeks) my levels should have evened out enough by now to at least have a negative hpt? 

• Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. With my first miscarriage, possibly ectopic, but passed naturally, it was an early loss. By the time we looked at hcg levels, mine were in the 50's and going down. I believe that mine were down to zero within 2 weeks, and I menstruated within my normal time frame.

With this last pregnancy, ectopic, surgically removed, my levels were up in the 1000's, so I'll be interested to see how they go down. I'm only at a little over a week postop and don't see my OB until later this week. My hcg levels were caught when I went in for a 2 week f/u after what I believed to be a natural miscarriage, however I was still bleeding. We drew levels to make sure levels were going down, but instead they had gone up. My OB insisted on an US to check for retained material and for an ectopic. I did not have "typical" pains with my ectopic, so I am glad that I went in as she told me to. I ended up having bleeding into my abdomen, and a tube that was in the process of rupturing.

That being said, if your levels are dropping, even slowly, you are probably ok. However, if you're concerned, or bleeding/cramping/having pain, you should call your doctor. I think the worst part is, is that there is no "normal" for your body after a miscarriage, so it's difficult to figure out what's ok and what's not.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic TTC since 4/12 BFP #1 11/15/12, MC/possible ectopic 11/20, natural MC BFP #2 1/15/13, ectopic discovered 2/15, surgery, R tube removed
  • Options
    imagejenw80:
    4 weeks ago it was at 4K, she hasn't checked them again since then just told me to keep taking home pregnancy tests and they are still coming up positive.nbsp;I guess I'm just concerned that an early loss missed miscarriage at 6 weeks confirmed at 9 weeks my levels should have evened out enough by now to at least have a negative hpt?nbsp;

Does she want you to come in for blood draws at all to follow you down to zero? I'm not any type of expert, but my OB is very insistent on blood draws to make sure levels are going down appropriately. While hpt's are terrific for detecting hcg when you want to see it, it is not quantitative, nor do I think it should be a way to follow yourself down to zero, IMO.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic TTC since 4/12 BFP #1 11/15/12, MC/possible ectopic 11/20, natural MC BFP #2 1/15/13, ectopic discovered 2/15, surgery, R tube removed
  • Options

She did a urine test this past week and said it was a faint line so she believed they are going down and didn't think a blood test was necessary. I've been taking hpt every other day since then and the line is not faint...its pretty dark. 

I guess I just get a vibe from her that she is shrugging me off and not really paying attention. Which is weird bc she was great when I was pregnant, but now I feel like she won't answer my quesitons or really listen. She's just kind of like...its normal-it takes time-everything is fine. But my appt. this week I basically went in, talked to her for 5 minutes (no exam or anything) and took a urine test and went home...what is the point of paying for an office visit and taking my time to go there for that.  (sorry venting a bit)

I never knew this would be such a long process. And you are right, it is so hard to know what is normal and  what should cause alarm because everyone's body is different and bc its such a new and terrifying experience.

• Options
    That is ridiculous that she isn't doing beta tests on you to see if the number is decreasing! A urine test isn't going to tell you anything until there is no HCG but you could still have "products of conception" in your ute that could cause an infection. I would insist on a beta draw and if she won't, go somewhere else. 

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• Options
    imageMrs.McIrish:
    That is ridiculous that she isn't doing beta tests on you to see if the number is decreasing! A urine test isn't going to tell you anything until there is no HCG but you could still have "products of conception" in your ute that could cause an infection. I would insist on a beta draw and if she won't, go somewhere else.nbsp;

This. I cannot imagine going in to my office and having them do a urine test on me...I can do that at home. If you feel like you're being shrugged off, and IMO, it kind of sounds that way, I would find myself a new OB. There are too many great ones out there for you to settle for someone who doesn't take the time that you need and deserve.
  • Options

I'm currently 4 weeks out from a D&C and was at 132,000 at 8 weeks pregnant, and now I'm around 4,000.

My midwife seems a bit concerned that it's taking so long, but he's also considering the fact that they were so high to begin with. Personally, if I'm still getting positive tests at the end of next week, I'm going to request an ultrasound. 

Remember, it's YOUR health and body. If you feel like you aren't getting the care you need, ask for it!!

Lots of hugs. This stuff is sh***ty to deal with.

my blog - blogged bliss BFP 3/2/09 - EDD 11/10/2009 - Abigail born 10/27/2009
    BFP 12/23/12 - EDD 9/4/2013 - blighted ovum found 1/18/13 - d&c 1/25/13

My Ovulation Chart
  • Options

So sorry for your loss and for what your are going through.

I had a mmc and D & C in early December.  I had an ultrasound about 5 weeks after.  I didn't ask for it, my dr just did it.  My dr is also still monitoring my hcg levels monthly.  I was at 2 in early February, a full 8 weeks after my d & c. I have to take another blood test in 2 weeks.  I'm not sure if it will ever be zero, but I believe as long as it is in the negative range, it's ok. 

I know it's hard, but try to be patient.  It does take time for your body to go back to normal.  

If you are scared and want an ultrasound, ask for one and voice your concerns to your dr.  It's your body.  If your dr won't do it, then I would go to another dr.

Good luck to you. 

• Options
    imagejenw80:

4 weeks ago it was at 4K, she hasn't checked them again since then - just told me to keep taking home pregnancy tests and they are still coming up positive. 

I guess I'm just concerned that an early loss (missed miscarriage at 6 weeks - confirmed at 9 weeks) my levels should have evened out enough by now to at least have a negative hpt? 

I am so sorry for your loss.  IMO, making you monitor your levels by HPT is cruel. You should not have to keep getting verification that you are "pregnant".  I would request that she send you for another blood draw to see where you are at. I would also strongly consider finding another OB. 

The day the Bump died - Jasper is wise
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Yes, seeing that positive on that test when is kind of a mind f*ck (pardon the language) I've never wanted a BFN so bad.

I just want this process to be over with. I want that next positive I see on the hpt to be the real thing. 

Thank you all for your feedback on this. 

• Options
    I hope you get things figured out! Smile
  • Options

So I finally got back into the office and gave the doc a hard time and told her I want a blood test and an ultrasound. She tried to brush me off again but I insisted that something feels wrong. 

And then today...I passed the embryo. 2 months later. 1.5 months after the miscarriage bleeding started...it was still in there the whole time. And all bc she never did an ultrasound and told me I didn't need one and kept telling me everything was fine and that some peoples bodies just take time.

To those out there going through this...make sure you get the ultrasound to check that everything passed. 

I am now in pain all over again and sick and devastated that this has been going on for 2 months.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"