LGBT Parenting

anyone cloth diapering?

So our little boy will be here in about 6 weeks. We have decided to cloth diaper him. I have become slightly obsessed with it.

Anyone else?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: anyone cloth diapering?

• We cloth diaper our twins. It's great. We aren't 100% CDing - we started using disposables at night once they got older and weren't being changed overnight, and we use disposables when we travel or we're going to be out of the house all day. 

I wouldn't say that the actual cloth diapering is quite as fun as the planning and buying was ;) but the laundry really isn't a big deal (I just throw them in the dryer and they still look/work great after 9 months). And they're cute, cheap and green.  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I'm sure the thrill will wear off once he is here and we are CD'ing daily. 

We have a ton of disposables we got for the shower. We plan on using those as you described; long days out, traveling etc.

My DP keeps telling me a perk of CD was to save money (as well as be green), but that?s not true if I keep buying every CD I see!

So do you use AI1 or AI2? I?m not 100% down with the lingo yet lol. We are using covers with pre-folds, so Im pretty sure that is AI2?s!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagejrtmom:
    Are you sticking with any particular brand(s)?  

We have bought some of the workhorse diapers from greenmountaindiapers,com we were told they are the cadillac of CD's. 

We have some ecobumz,rumparooz & a couple thirsties.

My favorites are from a local lady who makes them. She has so many really cute prints etc. I've got some OSU ones, dino print, little skulls, little owls....all kinds he will probably hate me for when he is older!  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We clot diaper our 7 month old and I love them.  Very easy to use, and it feels great to be "Green" and I'm sure that we're saving money. We do use disposables when we travel, and I occassionally sneak one in when we leave the house. But using cloth diapers out of the house has been easy too.  I even love cloth wipes and think they keep K much cleaner then the disposable wipes which are too soft to handle big messes easily. 

My favorite disposables w/o chemicals is by Naty.  And my favorite cloth diaper is by BumGenuis.  E spent hours and hours researching cloth diapers before K was born, but in the end we just use the odd mix of diapers we own.  Right now I love BumGenius for overnights because they hardly leak.

• I have almost all AIOs - BumGenius Freetimes, with a few Elementals and some Flips. I did a newborn cloth diaper trial which confirmed my suspicion that I would dislike pockets and fitteds (and I didn't even try prefolds - I wanted simple, simple, simple). We also live near a Cotton Babies (the brick-and-mortar BumGenius store), so it was a pretty easy decision. 

I won't be able to tell how much money we saved until after they are both potty trained (since that determines how many disposables we would have purchased), but I estimate we'll save $2-3,000 by using cloth.  

• Our plan is to use cloth as much as possible, but where its more convenient to use disposable, we will. Probably travelling mostly. 

We've been given a big pile of prefolds, will buy lots of flats too, I grew up cloth diapering my sister and cousins with flats, so I'm a folding fool and most comfortable with flats. For day care and grandma's house, we'll be doing all in ones. We've bought some Grovias, some Bummi's Tots Bots (which I think might become my faves) and we're planning on buying some Swaddlebees, Kissa's and Thirsties. We're looking at some kawaii and ecoposh diaper covers to cover the flats and prefolds. Its going to be a big investment, but I think that it'll work out in the end, and I'm a huge fan of not filling landfill with poop and pee gel. I'm also a big fan of flushable liners for big messes, it just makes the diaper cleaning process easier.

IUI #1 - 10 April 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #2 - 05 May 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #3 - 05 July 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #4 - 30 August 2012 medicated and monitoredLetrozole and Ovidrel Trigger 
    IUI #5 - 27 September 2012 Letrozole 
    BFP! 9 October 2012 Betas:- 12DPO 16; 16DPO 96; 18DPO 315

Baby Alarico born on 28 June 2013!!

• We used cloth for our girls and will reuse our stash for the twins. Mosly pre folds and pockets. Am happy we do it, I didn't really even notice the extra laundry after a while and love the money savings! The cloth diaper board is helpful!
    DD 1- 7/07 DD 2 - 1/11 Twins, due 9/13
  • We are using cloth diapers through a service that drops them off and picks up the dirty ones. I thought it would be a good time saver, but maybe I should consider buying them and washing them myself. Why did you all choose to buy and wash rather than use a service? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Two reasons:

(1) The only diaper service in my area only has prefolds. I wanted to use AIOs.

(2) I have a washer/dryer at home so I didn't feel like the laundry would be a big deal. If I lived in an apartment or otherwise had to drag my diapers to a laundry room or a laundry mat, I probably would have chosen a service instead. As it is it takes me < 5 minutes to do a rinse cycle, start the wash cycle, and transfer to the dryer. It takes more time than that to fold, of course, but I just fold while watching TV or hanging out with the babies in the nursery. 

• imagejrtmom:
    Yes! We plan on cloth diapering and have become addicted to buying diapers.  We counted them last night and have 55!  Yikes!  I think we are set but some of then are so cute.  Are you sticking with any particular brand(s)?  We have mostly bum genius 3.0 and 4.0s, but also have some other brands that were too cute to pass up.  :)  
    I want a tour of your 55! ?? we are cloth diapering but I got overwhelmed by all the options and haven't gotten back to it in a while...
    Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

• I am in the camp of people who don't yet have babies but who are mildly addicted to cloth diapers.

Most of our stash so far is prefolds, but a friend of mine is also going to give us her used fitteds next time we see her, so we will have those too. We also have about 15 AIOs though I think we will have to see how they work as I am dubious about them.....

I have been doing a ton of research on it because the whole thing fascinated me and think prefolds will work for us mostly because they are so easy to clean... We have a HE front loading machine so I worry it will be hard to get the thicker dipes fully clean in it....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    queer couple - 32 (me) & 33 (my love) years old - donor sperm,

Our IF/TTC journey since Nov 2012.

Me: dx of DOR in Nov. 2012. Low AMH, AFC - 6, Normal FSH, SS-A (RO) Antibodies (Autoimmune issues), tubes clear, Sono (November 2013) NORMAL! <p>

7 IUI's - December 2012-September 2013.  Medicated, Injected, Triggered.... all BFN.

My Love:  (the amazing @Healz413)
    Normal AMH & FSH, AFC ~27, blocked tube dx'd via HSG in 2012.   Hydrosalpinx & ovarian cyst dx'd in May 2013.
    dx of Stage IV Endo & bilateral salpinectomy in June 2013.  

Partner IVF#1a- December 2013 - H's eggs, my Ute - CANCELLED due to low response
    Partner IVF #1b - February 2014 - H's eggs, my Ute - ER February 4 (10 retrieved, 3 fertilized), Transfer Feb 7 of one Grade 1 and one Grade 2 day 3 embryos.  1 - Day 3, Grade 1 frosty saved.   BFP - 6dp3dt via FRER, Beta #1 - 110, Beta #2 175, Beta #3 - 348, Beta #4 - 2222!, Beta #5 - 4255.  Ultrasound (6w1d) - 2 heartbearts!  

We lost our beautiful Twin baby girls on June 18, 2014.  Tavin Sara and Casey Elizabeth were born at 21 weeks gestation and were absolutely beautiful, precious, amazing babies.  We miss our daughters every day and love them with all our hearts.

• imagehavingaleo:
    We are using cloth diapers through a service that drops them off and picks up the dirty ones. I thought it would be a good time saver, but maybe I should consider buying them and washing them myself. Why did you all choose to buy and wash rather than use a service?nbsp;

OK, I know that this is completely irrational logic, but I feel that using a diaper service would be like sharing underwear with strangers. I know that its completely sanitary, but it would wig me out a bit knowing that many other people's babies had pood on the same diaper I'm putting on my baby. The totally contradictory thing is that I have no issue reissuing our friend's baby's old ones. I also justify buying my own by saying I'm saving petrol usage by not having them delivered and collected, but on the other hand I get a weely vegetable box delivered. Long story short, I think that its a personal choice, and if you're anything like me you'll justify one that makes sense to you.

IUI #1 - 10 April 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #2 - 05 May 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #3 - 05 July 2012 unmonitored and unmedicated with RE 
    IUI #4 - 30 August 2012 medicated and monitoredLetrozole and Ovidrel Trigger 
    IUI #5 - 27 September 2012 Letrozole 
    BFP! 9 October 2012 Betas:- 12DPO 16; 16DPO 96; 18DPO 315

Baby Alarico born on 28 June 2013!!

• I was also worried about the AIO's coming clean enough and drying time etc. I thought the prefolds sounded simple and easy enough. We only have one diaper service in our area. I haven't checked into it but maybe I should.....
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We are definitely planning on cloth diapering.  I wish I could use a diaper service, but there isn't one in my city, unfortunately.  My mom told me she used a service for my siblings and I, and loved it.  She didn't have to worry about buying them, or washing them.  My big concern right now is I won't know how to clean them properly, or our animals will get into the dirty diapers, or I will use them too fast and run out of our stash.  My partner is way better at that kind of thing. 

We haven't gotten any diapers yet, and I am completely ignorant of the different types and brands, how they work, and what's different.  I'm going to do my best to learn fast, though!  Haha.  Nice to know others that are or plan on cloth diapers.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • We will definitely use cloth diapers. We aren't pg yet but have some friends who use cloth and we feel its the best choice for us. We still need to decide on the type we want to use but that is the path we'll take!

Queer coupled and having a BABY with the love of my life! Love my life and wouldn't have it any other way!
    First IUI 1/22/2013 BFN: 2/7/2013, Second IUI 2/21/2013 BFN: 3/9/2013, Third IUI 4/23/2013 BFN: 5/8/2013, Fourth IUI 5/24/2013 BFN: 6/7/2013, Fifth IUI 6/24/2013 BFN: 7/8/2013

C began IUI's
    7/23/2013 C's first IUI BFN, 8/21/2013 C's second IUI BFN , Took a break in September and October, 11/05/2013 C's 3rd IUI (TWW...we meet again...) BFN, Took off the month to switch to an RE. 01/01/2014 C's 4th IUI...BFP!!!!!!!! Beta #1- 17, Beta #2- 34, Beta #3-140....  6W Ultra-Sound Reveals nothing in Gestation Sack... Natural M/C at 7W, 2/3/2014

03/21/2014 IUI #10...BFP!!! Beta #1- 48, Beta #2- 416, Beta #3- 1018. GROW BABY GROW!!!

1st Ultrasound 4/22/2014 Baby Squints is PERFECT! Measuring at 6w2d with a heartbeat of 129. EDD: 12/12/14.

Ultrasound at 18 weeks on 7/14/2014. Baby is healthy and growing just as she should!

Check out my blog at: http://journeytoparenthoodandmakingmilk.blogspot.com/

• After reading all of these replies, I am still really confused about which diapers to buy and how many in which sizes. I want to avoid the ones that have polyester on the sides--even though they say the baby's skin doesn't come into contact with it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagehavingaleo:
    After reading all of these replies, I am still really confused about which diapers to buy and how many in which sizes. I want to avoid the ones that have polyester on the sides--even though they say the baby's skin doesn't come into contact with it. 

You will need a waterproof layer of some sort - that usually comes in the form of PUL (a type of polylaminate).  AIOs and pockets have this layer (usually of PUL) built in.  Prefolds, flats, and fitteds require an added cover, usually made of PUL.

Unless you're using wool covers 24/7, you're likely to encounter polyester of some sort on your cloth diapering adventures.

The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.
  • Changing Diapers by Kelley Wels, is a MUST read for anyone just starting out clother diapering or thinking about cloth diapers. It is literally the Cloth Diapering for dummies book, its awesome!

A

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"