Food Allergy
Options

PurAmino/Elecare/Neocate users....

Questions for any moms that are using these formulas... do/did your LO's have any constipation issues on it? My son has been on PurAmino for about a week now and is having some constipation issues. We are currently doing 1 oz. of pear or prune juice twice daily which help some, but I can tell he's still having trouble going on some days.

If you did deal with constipation issues, what helped? Did it eventually resolve on its own once LO's system adjusted? Your help is appreciated! TIA. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: PurAmino/Elecare/Neocate users....

• Options
    DD2 was on Elecare and it did cause a bit of constipation.   The GI doc said it's normal and typically their body just adjusts to it.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thanks ladies. Hopefully his little system adjusts soon. It doesn't help that he's been on Zantac for reflux also and the Zantac can also cause constipation. We haven't been using the Zantac for the last few days because of this, but now it seems like his reflux is getting worse again, so we may have to take our chances with the constipation issue until I can talk to the pedi about switching reflux meds.

Salty- good luck with the soy challenge! Hope all goes well for you guys!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Tell me about it! I've never been so intent on examining poop in my life. It's like I have to inspect every one of my child's dirty diapers hoping it passes the test. Just. Plain. Weird.
  • Options
    I'm sure it is just your LO getting adjusted to the formula change, I know for Neocate it doesn't cause constipation but it is a "low residue" formula, meaning that the time it takes for your LO to build up enough stool to pass is longer than it would be in "regular" formula, which would lead to a decrease in bowel movements, YKWIM?  Does it seem like your LO is constipated or just that he's not going as much?

Hope it all works out soon ;)
    Rachel Mom to 3 boys Augustboy02 - Sensational Sensory Kid Decemberboy04 -former reflux baby Augustboy10 - MFPI baby
  • Options

imageRachel*Neocate:
    I'm sure it is just your LO getting adjusted to the formula change, I know for Neocate it doesn't cause constipation but it is a "low residue" formula, meaning that the time it takes for your LO to build up enough stool to pass is longer than it would be in "regular" formula, which would lead to a decrease in bowel movements, YKWIM?  Does it seem like your LO is constipated or just that he's not going as much? Hope it all works out soon ;)

For us, it was definitely constipation at first...slowly, it seems to be working itself out I think. The juice twice a day (per our pedi's instructions) has been helping. We've also been doing some rectal stimulation to help it out, since at first his stools were both infrequent and very hard, poor kid. Now it definitely seems to be softening up and he seems to be a bit more comfortable now.

What you're saying about these formulas being "low residue" does make sense though. Hopefully this can account for the infrequency at least. Thanks for the help. :)

• Options
    DD is on Neocate and is far from constipated.  She has liquid BMs 2-3 times daily.  Dark green and very stinky.  GI was surprised that she continues to have diarrhea on elemental formula, but she was scoped and biopsies came back normal.  I think constipation is more typical.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    My son has been on Neocate 2 weeks today and has been on Zantac since he was 2 weeks old. He has had diarrhea and for a week and a half he was like a new baby though so I didn't mind, however he is now starting to have his screaming episodes again like he is in horrible pain. I am don't know what to do anymore will this go away again I was so happy to see a happy baby now it's breaking my heart to see him so miserable again!:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"