Adoption

What do you think of this? --agency related

DH and I are in the process of choosing an agency. I have been emailing/calling to get some information etc on pricing and general feel of the agency. This agency is so far my first choice as it has a good reputation in the area, however my contact with them so far hasn't been the best.

The first time I called and left a message with the director. No response or return call. The second time I emailed the director. I heard back a WEEK later. When I got the information I requested in the mail there were large chunks missing that I had specifically asked for that I think is pretty generic ( detailed agency fees). I emailed them back requesting this information and was told they have no written literature regarding this, ( Can't anyone just email me this information?) and I would have to call the director. I was given specific times she is in and directions on speaking to her.

My concerns:

Why won't they share what is included in this cost? How can they not have any literature to share about this? Their website is very sparse as well. Also, it was pretty hard to get a hold of them. Would a EM go thru all those hoops ?

Thanks if you read this far! Any thoughts? Should I keep looking for an agency?

Re: What do you think of this? --agency related

• What makes them your first choice???

Personally, I had a bad first three weeks w/our chosen agency.  Bad communication.  Our assigned SW was gone on vacation for three weeks and no one picked up her messages and we fell through the cracks, etc.  Fast forward, my concerns w/communication continued to be seen through our experience w/them.  Although they had a stellar program and reputation, they didn't live up to my expecations.  IMO I'd move on to find someone that you connect with since it's an important relationship :)

As for fees, I think you are being reasonable wanting information. 

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • Thanks for responding silliest! Sorry, I should clarify that they were my first choice to research based on their reputation. We have in NO WAY narrowed it down to them. I feel this weird obligation to go with them as they have a good reputation and maybe I am reading more into things, but more and more I feel that they are not living up to what I expect our agency should be.

Thanks for validating my reaction!

• Loading the player...
  • I agree with silliest--keep looking. Transparency in fees and reachability were must-haves
  • I crossed agency's off my list after the second time of poor response. Once is possibly a mistake, but more than that is just I professional
    Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • I chose not to go with the "best" agency to adopt through from Peru.  They are known as the best because they are the oldest processing adoptions from that country (over 20 years), and they have long, established relationships with the authorities in Peru.  As a result, they get quicker referrals and often can ask (and are granted) that the rules are bent to meet their clients' requests.

I chose not to use them because I had heard stories about some situations in which they acted in a less than ethical manner.  Two Peruvian adoptions and four years later, my opinion hasn't changed.  Sure they are "the best" when everything goes well, but I know that they aren't the agency to stand by you when things go wrong--and that's when you need an agency most.

Keep looking until you are completely satisfied with the agency you chose.  There are too many options available and the process is long and can be difficult; you shouldn't already feel trepidation before you even begin.

• If you are having these issues before you have even choosen then I would say move on.  They obviously are not that capable of giving you information or even responding back to you.  I would look elsewhere and not bother with them escpecially since they are being very vague about fees, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"