Babies: 6 - 9 Months

LO choked on puffs today :(

So DS is 8 months old and has been eating puffs for awhile now.  Well today he choked on one.  I had to grab him up out of the high chair and pat his back and then he threw up because of his gag reflex.  It was awful and one of the scariest moments for me since he has been born.  He was full on desperately trying to breath and all I could see was panic in his little face :(  I thought those dang things were supposed to dissolve. 

I really wanted to start trying more solids but this has just made me a nervous wreck.  This post is pointless I guess but I just needed to vent.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: LO choked on puffs today :(

• Oh no! Poor little guy!
    m/c 2013
  • Vent all you want. I would have been scared to death too. Glad he is okay. My LO turns 8 months today and he too is eating puffs. I will definitely keep a closer eye now. Thanks.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageLalaMama81:

Most kids will gag a lot though. Remember, if they are making any kind of noise or cough they aren't choking.

So scary, I know.  

This! I know it's scary, but (when you're comfortable), try again. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • This is my biggest fear. I'm so sorry.
  • That is so scary! I had that happen once when I worked at a daycare. The little girl was probably 8 months and she choked on a puff or something that was supposed to be age-appropriate. Thankfully,she threw it up. But it still scared the crap out of me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I completely understand everyone's fear and I know how scary this can be so I don't mean to be insensitive at all but it sounds like the good news is your LO and his gag reflex kicks in just like it is supposed to. They aren't truely choking unless their airway is blocked and they are turning blue, otherwise its gagging and its part of the learning process as they figure out how to manipulate food and move it around their mouths. 

Still scary though and I know how nerve-racking it can be.  What makes me more comfortable is to have a food only in the high chair sitting straight up with adult watching rule and going through some baby first aid training (you can take a class or even watch videos online as a start).

• So scary!! Glad your LO is ok!
    Sparrow Fae 3/9/10 Levi Roy 6/17/12 Sparrow January 20
  • Very scary but it's a good thing you were right there! 

Anniversary

• I'm not offended or think you are being insensitive but he was chocking not gagging.  He  has had other solid food such as toast, carrots that were not pureed and some others and he has gagged on those.  When he chocked on the puffs he wasn't making any noises except a gasping type thing and was turning bluish it wasn't in there long enough for him to turn completely.  I think he did gag after I managed to get it out of his airway.

And FWIW he was in an upright highchair while I was watching him and I was cpr certified  but it expired last year.

• Also thanks everyone for the support and listening :) I know it is very rare for a baby to choke.  That is why it freaked me out so bad I think. 

We gave him waffles this morning for breakfast and he did great! Thankfully haha!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"