LGBT Parenting
Options

Telling the family

Oh ok as you all know we as women don't like to tell all our business but, when family start asking questions how should you handle it? I get my first iui with frozen sperm tomorrow its just me and my partner who are going. But, a lot of my friends family feel left out of this process. How should I handle this? Mind you I just lost my mother 9 months ago so me andt the family are still taking very hard this is a very emotional time for me because she wont there to hold my hand.

Re: Telling the family

• Options

I'm SO sorry for your loss. I would choose who ever you want to be there so that you feel comforted.

Honestly, the only family member that knows is my Mom (I wanted her medical history) and my wife's brother/sister-in-law (because it was their kid that prompted us to consider a family). Other than a few, VERY close friends, no one else knows. 

We chose not to tell anyone else because we don't want to deal with the constant questions or dealing with everyone else's needs. Truthfully, this is YOUR journey and you should feel free to take the journey any way you want! Put yourselves first!!

That is just IMO, of course :D Fingers crossed for tomorrow!! 

Married my soulmate on 10.1.11; One furbaby, Emma the cat; Madly in love and Just starting our journey on the TTC path! Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    We told our families we were TTC because we were so stressed out at the news of my fertility issues and it totally changed our TTC plans.

We wanted support in the process but also to give our people a heads up that if we do get pregnant and it seems a bit ahead of an ideal schedule it's because it IS! Well, not so much anymore but in the beginning we were about 5 months of our planned timeframe when we had the "now or never" talk with our RE.

It's been good so far. We update people casually as we go along and they seem to keep any questions to a minimum and with much respect.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    queer couple - 32 (me) & 33 (my love) years old - donor sperm,

Our IF/TTC journey since Nov 2012.

Me: dx of DOR in Nov. 2012. Low AMH, AFC - 6, Normal FSH, SS-A (RO) Antibodies (Autoimmune issues), tubes clear, Sono (November 2013) NORMAL! <p>

7 IUI's - December 2012-September 2013.  Medicated, Injected, Triggered.... all BFN.

My Love:  (the amazing @Healz413)
    Normal AMH & FSH, AFC ~27, blocked tube dx'd via HSG in 2012.   Hydrosalpinx & ovarian cyst dx'd in May 2013.
    dx of Stage IV Endo & bilateral salpinectomy in June 2013.  

Partner IVF#1a- December 2013 - H's eggs, my Ute - CANCELLED due to low response
    Partner IVF #1b - February 2014 - H's eggs, my Ute - ER February 4 (10 retrieved, 3 fertilized), Transfer Feb 7 of one Grade 1 and one Grade 2 day 3 embryos.  1 - Day 3, Grade 1 frosty saved.   BFP - 6dp3dt via FRER, Beta #1 - 110, Beta #2 175, Beta #3 - 348, Beta #4 - 2222!, Beta #5 - 4255.  Ultrasound (6w1d) - 2 heartbearts!  

We lost our beautiful Twin baby girls on June 18, 2014.  Tavin Sara and Casey Elizabeth were born at 21 weeks gestation and were absolutely beautiful, precious, amazing babies.  We miss our daughters every day and love them with all our hearts.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

First, I would say that the choice to share information about "all our business" is an individual one, not based on gender.

Second, I would figure out how you feel about family/friend involvement and then honestly share how you feel with those people. For me, I would be perfectly comfortable saying, "most other families don't have anyone else there when they conceive their babies" or "this is a medical procedure, not a public event." You can also remind them that it is much more fun to share in an achieved pregnancy (via showers, etc) than a the first step in what may be a long ttc process. Ultimately, it's your choice, discuss with your partner and then clearly express it to others in your life. Hope you find a way that works for you!

Met 07/07/05, Wedding 07/07/07, Legal Marriage Ceremony 12/9/12, Baby Boy Born 08/09/13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't understand why anyone would feel left out. Because you're not sharing the details of your individual attempts to get pregnant or something? We told my parents and our siblings, and a few close friends. We wanted support and wanted to be able to vent and share the ups and downs. We asked those people not to mention it to anybody else, and they didn't - so we didn't really get any questions. If we had (like if someone let it slip on FB that we were trying), I would have said "I'm so touched that you're excited that we might have kids someday, but there isn't any news to share right now. I'll let you know when there is!" You know, be cheerful, but make it clear that you aren't going to talk to them about it. If they can't take the hint, feel free to lie. :)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Well thank you very much for your advice everyone that is what I can here for and I didn't mean any harm with my words I'm just so damn nervous!! But, without my mom is hard and I want to share my ups and downs with you all and my family I just don't want anyone to feel left of of what this beautiful journey.
  • Options
    We chose not to share with many people as of yet. We are only on our second round of IUIs and we wanted to ensure that we were emotionally comfortable before we told a lot of people. My concern isn't people knowing or not knowing it is more people being anxious and excited. A lot of times the emotions of others can get in the way of a time when you should be able to be selfish with your emotions but the decision is up to each couple/person!

Queer coupled and having a BABY with the love of my life! Love my life and wouldn't have it any other way!
    First IUI 1/22/2013 BFN: 2/7/2013, Second IUI 2/21/2013 BFN: 3/9/2013, Third IUI 4/23/2013 BFN: 5/8/2013, Fourth IUI 5/24/2013 BFN: 6/7/2013, Fifth IUI 6/24/2013 BFN: 7/8/2013

C began IUI's
    7/23/2013 C's first IUI BFN, 8/21/2013 C's second IUI BFN , Took a break in September and October, 11/05/2013 C's 3rd IUI (TWW...we meet again...) BFN, Took off the month to switch to an RE. 01/01/2014 C's 4th IUI...BFP!!!!!!!! Beta #1- 17, Beta #2- 34, Beta #3-140....  6W Ultra-Sound Reveals nothing in Gestation Sack... Natural M/C at 7W, 2/3/2014

03/21/2014 IUI #10...BFP!!! Beta #1- 48, Beta #2- 416, Beta #3- 1018. GROW BABY GROW!!!

1st Ultrasound 4/22/2014 Baby Squints is PERFECT! Measuring at 6w2d with a heartbeat of 129. EDD: 12/12/14.

Ultrasound at 18 weeks on 7/14/2014. Baby is healthy and growing just as she should!

Check out my blog at: http://journeytoparenthoodandmakingmilk.blogspot.com/

• Options

My wife's family are a bunch of debbie-downers, so there is no way anyone else will know until we are 12 weeks pregnant. I don't need that kind of stress!

OP, you just feel free to come here and talk/vent or anything else you need!! 

Married my soulmate on 10.1.11; One furbaby, Emma the cat; Madly in love and Just starting our journey on the TTC path! Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you very much ! I'm so excited she is at work smiling!! My kids know because I'm going the clinic where both my daughters were born and my youngest girl birthday is tomorrow and she is happy that I'm doing it on her bday!!
  • Options

I sorry to hear about your loss I know that it is very hard to deal with and that stress added in wtih TTC is a lot to deal with and if you add opinions of family members it would be that much harder.

I am going for my first IUI this week probably Friday (hoping on get my positive OPK) the only two people that know are myself and my wife. We have decided to keep it to ourselves as we have a very vocal family and really want this to be a private and intimate time for us. Once we get pregnant (being super positive) we are still going to wait until it is safe to tell family. The last thing that is needed is more stress during this whole process. I think that you and your spouse have very right to keep this moment between the both of you.

Married in September 2010, started TTC journey November 2012

Me-

7 IUI- 2 CP- 2 BFN

RPL blood work 12/27, showed a balance translocation in chromosome 11;22  

Spouse-

PCOS 4 IUI-4 BFN

New Plan: Reciprocal IVF, me as carrier wife's eggs. Just went through insurance and received partial approval, so my part will go through my IVF benefits and wife's part will be out of pocket. Now just finalizing finance plans to cover the oop costs. Doctors office is in process of moving to a new building so there are no IVF start ups until March/April 2015. 

• Options

Thank you for your kind words! Today was beautiful moment for me . I had my first IUI today and I feel so good. I shared the news with my close friends and one my family member. I will not tell anyone until i'm out the safe zone.

• Options
    Hey Everyone!!  I have a news update my daddy knows!! I'm like who told you and he said you told facebook and I figured out the clues!! he says he is happy that he will be a grandpa again!! I'm glad he is happy for me and my partner even though my mom is not here to share my joy I believe she has a lot a lot to do with this!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"