Parenting after 35

Speech Question

Many of you know that DS was in Early Intervention for a speech delay.  He caught up by the time he was 3--though he has some articulation issues.

I wondered how your typically developing children were with this.

His issues are:

Drops S's in the beginning of a word (Sneaky = Neaky; Square is Gware)

Substitutes W for L (ie. Wion for Lion) 

Substitutes B for V (ie. Berry for Very) 

Note that I am NOT that worried because I'm told it's common for preschoolers and young school-age children to have these issues. But I was curious if they were present in kids who didn't have speech problems to begin with.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!

Re: Speech Question

• DS has tongue thrust issues (in ST now) so his S's were more like "th".  So dropping it is not terrible.  There is an exercise our ST has us do which DS loves because it involves marshmallows.  You put 2 mini marshmallows on the molars, one on each side and have him bite down and then make S sounds, just the sound and with words like see, seed, and so on.  The W thing is not a huge deal.  R and L sounds are what are known as liquids and are often some of the last acquired phoenetic sounds, sometimes not until 5 or 6.  DD had that problem with R and L and grew out of it quickly enough.  I'm betting the B to V one is something he'll outgrow quickly as well.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• The Boy is typically developing and does the w for l thing as well as other things. I think I saw a list on here saying what sounds are perfected when, and l was among the latest. Like, kids are 6 or 8 before they can say it.
  • Loading the player...
  • DS is only 2, but he also frequently drops the S in the beginning of words....Spiderman is piderman.   I actually thought he couldn't make the S sound, but then realized that he can say words ending in S.   He also refuses to say the letter L.  He says, "up!"  I have no idea where he got that from.

I agree that there are many speech patterns that many children likely won't outgrow until they are 5 or 6.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • So it sounds like little man is developing normally!   DS still problems with "l", so DD's name has progressed from "schaat" to char-rot. Yellow is lello. And sometimes he will LSP when he says yes.  DD is progressing well, too. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yeah, I'm not really overly stressing this time but was curious. I mean he DID have a speech delay--even if he is caught up and then some!  I wondered if other kids truly had these quirks.

The only other thing he does, and he CAN say it properly but just forgets, is ANIMAL  often sounds like ELMO.  Most multi-syllabic words are fine... but he has problems with animal.

• she subs B for V - "Bagina" ;)

she subs L for Y - "Lello"

doesn't drop S's but maybe cuz her name starts with an S?

click the pic (blog)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagefredalina:
    My oldest nephew had some articulation issues but never had a speech delay. In fact he was pretty verbal, esp for a boy, as I recall. He did the R=W thing as well as L=Y as in "yeyyow" and a few others. He sounded a bit like Baby Bear from Sesame Street. His articulation issues mostly went away by Kindergarten except for the L/Y thing. He still had that to about age 7 when his other aunt taught him. He never had any speech services but he's also 21 so things may not have been as commonly recommended then. Oh and FWIW he has a genius IQ.
    Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking saying he used w for l, he uses y for l.

An example is when he's on the toilet and I run to check on the baby and I hear, 'heeey! I'm yone-yee.'

• DD does the Y for L thing. I mentioned it to her doctor and she referred us to speech pathology.  Her appointment was this morning.  Therapist said she says most sounds fine but the y for l thing needs some therapy and practice to overcome.  Some sounds are acquired later but she wanted to get her some therapy now.
  • Charles is super verbal... I think he came out of the womb making complete sentences.   Guess because his mom doesn't shut up.

But he also mixes up letters sometimes and mispronounces things... Sorry  I can't give you any real specifics, but I do think it's just a 3-year old thing.  I think Ls and Ms and Ns come out kind of butchered sometimes.  

We just started to work on Phonics/letter sounds and that might help Aaron a little bit.   I show him a letter and ask him what it sounds like, etc.

• I clicked on the wrong messageboard on accident, but can probably answer your question, as I'm a speech pathologist.  How old is your son?  Is he just 3 or is he older? 
  • imageDSLP:
    I clicked on the wrong messageboard on accident, but can probably answer your question, as I'm a speech pathologist.  How old is your son?  Is he just 3 or is he older? 

Hi. My son is just 3-1/2 (August birthday).

He has a great vocabulary, and most people understand him. Honestly the only times I don't are words that start with a S followed by a consonant (like sneaky; snow; scared) or L's.

He was trying SO hard to say Little Luigi the other day (the character from cars) and I was hearing Will Weegie. Poor kid was so frustrated. But I know the trouble with  L's are common. 

• Yeah, w/l and simplifying blends is not a big deal at 3 1/2.  Developmental errors.  Nothing to worry about at all.  Just model what is correct and it will most likely develop! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"