April 2012 Moms

Feeding Help

I am having some feeding concerns.  Currently my LOs diet consists of the following:

Oatmeal

Purees (store bought and home-made)

Puffs

Baby Cheetos

Cut up small apples (occasional -- just started this)

I'm just not sure what to give him.  He gags a lot (not sure if this is normal or just a strong gag reflex that he has) on solid foods.  if I give him something that doesn't slide right down -- it seems that he will gag and cough and choke.  He did this with puffs at first - but now he can eat those like a champ.  I see people who talk about giving their 9-11 month old kids waffle sticks, cheese cubes, bacon, etc.  I could never give Rob a waffle stick because he would shove the entire thing down his throat and choke.  He only has 2.5 teeth (3rd *top right*) is only half way through....just don't feel like he could chew up cheese cubes or bacon!!  Any advice?

BFP #1 - 04/11/2011 - EDD: 12/22/2011 -Natural MC 5/18/2011 @ 8w6d BFP

BFP #2 - 08/12/2011 - EDD: 04/21/2012 1st U/S 9/12/2011 - Healthy baby seen -- Heartbeat at 166!

BFP #3 - 08/02/2014 - EDD: 04/09/2015 ---Prayers for a take home baby

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Feeding Help

• Gagging is totally normal and a part of the learning process. Choking only happens when the airway is constricted and he stops breathing. Hopefully that hasn't happened yet. Continue to offer things that you eat and let him experiment with it. His gag reflex can't improve if he never gets the chance to... well.. gag on things. Micah has 2 teeth and can eat quite a bit of cheese. Has your Lo bit you yet? Their jaws/gums are strong and can get the job done. Do it at your own pace, obviously, but try adding something new every now and then. Bread, toast, cheese, chicken, etc.
    Micah Leonard
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Have you tried yogarts, any of the Gerber Graduates, eggs, mashed bannas, meatballs, beans, potatoes, chex, pasta, maybe shreaded cheese (instead of cubes).

Just make sure its cooked really soft or mashed and he sould be ok.

• Loading the player...
  • THis is my third baby (14 years later) so I am pretty relaxed about food, but its my DH's first baby and he has flipped out about everything!

Honestly, healthy babies will take what they can handle and spit out what they cant.  I will give Evelyn entire slices of apples and let her chew (gum, cuz we did this toothless too) and suck on them.  Yes she will also cough and gag, and if she can't break down the chunk she spits it out.  I did only purees and soft foods with my first two children, this baby I wanted to try the BLW but was nervous at first and my husband was down right PANICKED but she has done great and so will your LO. 

I like to give her strips of meat to gum (this feels great on their teeth) even if she doesnt get any meat of off it she will get the juices/flavor

I like to give LO sauteed zucchini (this is softer) steamed cauliflower and broccoli

we give LO greek yogurt for  a snack almost every day.

scrambled eggs (but no under cooked whites allowed.  Either use only the yolks, or make sure you really really really cook the whites and only give in small portions until you know if your baby has an allergy)

good luck!  And enjoy its fun to watch them try :-)

Aug 15 April Siggy challenge: Baby Shower fails:

BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We were in the same boat, I never thought DD would eat solids! She would spit everything out! Finally she decided she really likes soft fruit, especially peaches, manderine oranges, or pears. I like to buy the ones in cups since they aren't really in season right now, and i usually cut them in half. It took her a while to get used to the texture, but once she figured it out she couldn't get enough. After she got used to these she started eating other table food like a champ. It doesnt matter about the front teeth, they dont use these to chew. I am still suprised at what those gums can chew up! She still gags occasionally when she gets a bite too big, but it doesn't bother her. It took me a while to understand she was gagging and not choking. Good luck!

• C pretty much eats whatever we eat, and I normally just cut it really small. She has no teeth, but her gums work wonders. I have recently even given her crusty bread and she will work on it for a good 5 minutes, pulling at it with her gums. I would just cut everything up really small. Start with bananas, shredded cheese, peas, that kind of things.

• R eats pretty much everything we eat, he doesn't like purees. If you think about it they/we don't chew with our front teeth, they use the gums to mash food up. 

DS1 9.24.2010      DS2 4.18.2012        DS3 12.15.2013

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (fyXz)

Lilypie - (28Zf)

• We were so nervous about finger foods until one day at daycare LO grabbed some cheerios from the kid next to him and ate it like a pro.  Since then, we still have been taking it slow, but with just two teeth he can easily handle cheerios, grapes cut in half (I take the skins off, probably unnecessary), blueberries cut in half, pieces of peach and bananas, and cooked sweet potato.  We gave him little bits of chicken with some tomato sauce and his eyes got really wide and he immediately tried to shove all of the chicken in his mouth at once.  That was harder for him to chew, but he just spit out what he couldn't handle.  The gagging gets better as LO gets used to how to chew and swallow.  I'd give him whatever you're comfortable with and let him practice, and don't worry if he's not up to "bacon level" yet. :)
  • juniper has only 4 teeth. she is able to use the back of her jaw to mash up cubed sausage, cubed cheese, steamed veggies, shredded chicken, cooked fruits (those little cups of peaches or pears that come in clear cups), scrambled eggs, omlettes,... you name it.

she had chili with us last night, big meat pieces and beans cut in half were placed on her tray to pick up. she LOVES it.

her favorite is meatloaf.

tonight we had chicken curry.

your LO can totally manage what you are eating.. you don't need to buy packaged foods for LO, it isn't healthy!! so many preservatives, little nutrition, and LO will NEVER get a palate for tasty foods that grown ups eat!

he can do it! just be persistent, and keep an eye with the gagging. it will pass, if he can handle cheerios, he can handle meatloaf!

ps that baby is super handsome! what a doll!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"