Natural Birth
Options

hypnobirthing or the mongan method

This looks really intriguing to me. I like the testimonials I've seen but I'm wondering if the websites say all there is to say about it. Does anyone know of this not working for someone?

Engaged 10/2/1202
BFP (a lil quicker than expected) 12/7/2012
Married to my best friend 12/24/2012
Beautiful baby girl arrived 8/15/2013
BFP #2 3/13/2016

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: hypnobirthing or the mongan method

• Options

I have the Mongan Hypnobirthing book. I met with a certified Hypnobirthing instructor also. When I was researching though, I ended up figuring out that Hypnobabies was a better option for me. 

https://www.hypnobabies.com/

There's a home study course, and there are also classes offered, but probably limited based on geography.

It's really well reviewed, and for the people who have experience with both Hypnobabies and Hypnobirthing, they seem to believe that Hypnobabies is a better system.  After a comparison of the two, I settled on Hypnobabies and am taking those classes.  

As for your question about it not working, yes, I have seen posts here and I've heard in real life from people who say that any of the methods (Hypnobirthing, Hypnobabies, Bradley, Lamaze) were not effective for them. There are no guarantees. One thing all of the different courses suggest is that if you plan on doing them, you practice the techniques frequently.  

• Options

I think if you study the method and put enough time and practice into it, it will be effective.  It's just a question of how effective.  With my first I took the class, read the book and practiced a lot.  I had a birth that was calm and relaxed.  So much so that after DD was born my MW asked if I had felt anything.  For the record I had felt everything, but it was always manageable and never registered as 'pain', just discomfort.  For my son, I didn't read the book or take a class, I practiced a little, but not that much.  His birth was more challenging and towards the very end I felt a mild sense of losing control and panic.  

I think if you invest the time and energy you will find it helps.  But it might not be what you see in the videos.  Hope this all makes sense!   

• Loading the player...
  • Options

HypnoBirthing practitioner here!

from my perspective, there is MUCH more to HypnoBirthing than what you will find in the book. Mickey Mongan intentionally leaves out a lot of the program because she wants moms to take an in-person class. There are several techniques that are merely mentioned in the book and still others that are not discussed at all - you'd only know about them from taking the class. Plus, the CD that comes with the book is not the CD that is intended for daily listening. You have to either order that (it's called Rainbow Relaxation) from the HypnoBirthing website or get it from a practitioner.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I just finished my last hypnobirthing class and have 2 months until my due date so obviously don't have experience using it in labor yet. My instructor is awesome.  She is a wealth of information and I have gotten so much more from her than just what is in the book.  I think taking the classes helped my husband be more supportive as well.  The "rainbow relaxation" CD is very calming, and I'm able to use it after a stressful day of work to unwind, hopefully all the practice will help in labor as well. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm doing hypnobirthing because my midwife said she had seen more success with that method than with hypnobabies or bradley.  I agree with pp that the class is what makes this method great.  I've gotten a lot from the instructor and my DH is much more on board now.  As an added bonus, our instructor is a doula, and even though we haven't "hired" her, she has made herself available to us if we have any questions before or even during the birth.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"