C-sections
Options

Anyone have a rupture/dehiscence?

I was hoping to VBAC but my scar from my first c/s started to rupture (dehiscence, so I didn't fully rupture) at 38w3d when ctx started in earnest. My question - if you had a(nother) c/s due to a rupture or dehiscence, when did your dr say they would do a RSC if you get pregnant again? Or did they advise against another pregnancy? I'll ask my OB at my PP check-up, but I'm just curious what others have been told, as I've read a few medical articles online recommending a c/s a week before the rupture occurred, so in my case 37w+a few days.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

Re: Anyone have a rupture/dehiscence?

• Options
    Ask at your pp appt.  I have a friend who had that happen (she actually wasn't in labor but her scar started to rupture just from the pregnancy itself).  She was advised not to have any more children.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options
    imageMAprincess:
    Ask at your pp appt.nbsp; I have a friend who had that happen she actually wasn't in labor but her scar started to rupture just from the pregnancy itself.nbsp; She was advised not to have any more children.

Holy crap! How common is this?
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1: May 2011
    BFP: 10/27/2011 |  EDD: 6/30/12
    DS born 6/28/12 via C/S 3 

TTC #2: September 2018
    Me: 36 | DH: 39
    Mirena removed 9/13/2018 after 6 years
    BFP 11/11/2018 | MC @ 5.5 weeks on Thanksgiving
    July 2019 - Diagnosed with Secondary Unexplained IF
    August 2019 - 2.5 mg of Letrozole = Never Ovulated so Trigger and IUI were cancelled
    9/30/2019 - IUI #1 (5 mg of Letrozole + Trigger) =  BFP but Betas showed CP @ 4 weeks
    10/28/2019 - IUI #2 (7.5mg of Letrozole + Trigger) = BFN
    11/25/2019 - IUI #3 (7.5mg of Letrozole, Trigger + Crinone after IUI) = BFN
    12/24/2019 - IUI #4 (7.5mg of Letrozole + Crinone after IUI) = BFN
    1/24/2020 - IUI #5 (50mg of Clomid + Trigger + Crinone after IUI) = BFN and an Ovarian Cyst
    3/2/2020 - Taking a break to reset/NTNP
    11/1/2020 - At peace with where things are in life and are no long actively TTC. Whatever happens will happen and it will all be okay. <3

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageklasala318:
    imageMAprincess:
    Ask at your pp appt.nbsp; I have a friend who had that happen she actually wasn't in labor but her scar started to rupture just from the pregnancy itself.nbsp; She was advised not to have any more children.
    Holy crap! How common is this?

Technically I wasn't in labor yet, either. I was having contractions as recorded by the NST, and I could feel them, but my cervix was still completely closed, 0% effaced, nothing going on in terms of labor.

It's not particularly common, but it can happen.

And yes, I will definitely be having a RCS for another pregnancy, and I was told by several doctors at the hospital that it's ok to have more children (I asked specifically), but I forgot to ask them when the c/s would be done - if it would be about 38-39 weeks as is typical for a RCS or whether it would be more like 37w in my case because of when my rupture started.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP

• Options
    imageLibbyLouHoo:
    imagekelly321:

Technically I wasn't in labor yet, either. I was having contractions as recorded by the NST, and I could feel them, but my cervix was still completely closed, 0% effaced, nothing going on in terms of labor.

It's not particularly common, but it can happen.

That's scary. Can I ask what alerted them to the fact that this was happening? I know the chances are slim, but uterine rupture absolutely terrifies me. The NP at my dr's office recommended for me to check out the ICAN website since I keep going back and forth between RCS and VBAC and one of the first birth stories I see on there was a birth with a complete rupture. It practically had me running back in begging for a RCS.

What alerted them was me. I had been having sharp pains around the scar for a couple of days whenever I would stand up, but when contractions started (probably just prodromal labor - I wasn't dilated at all), every contraction felt like someone was stabbing a knife along the scar line from the inside. I couldn't imagine that that was what labor contractions were supposed to feel like, so I went to L&D.

After seeing how much pain I was in (I rated it a 7 during most contractions with some only a 5 and an occasional 8-9) and how I was holding my stomach (supporting it by applying counterpressure helped), the OB said she suspected it was at least a dehiscence, but that there was no way to tell for sure from the outside. Since I was already 38w3d, she recommended an immediate c/s. She said that we could just wait but if I did rupture then it would be an emergency c/s with an uncertain outcome for LO, and to be honest, I was in so much pain that I just wanted it to stop. She admitted that it was possible they would open me up and find that everything was fine, but there was no way to know beforehand. I agreed to the c/s, and when they did it they found that the uterine scar had started to rupture from the inside. That was what had been causing the intense pain. A few outer layers were still intact, which meant it thankfully was not a full rupture and everything with DD2 was just fine.

I think some women don't experience pain with it (maybe?), but for me, it was the really intense pain that made me know something was wrong.

Edit: typo

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"