Dads & Dads-to-be

5 Thing Thursday

OK, here we are again.  I'm coming up a little dry on questions... so just list 5 things going on in your life currently that you don't mind sharing.

Re: 5 Thing Thursday

• 1) My wife is contracting.  They've gone from about 20-25 minutes apart on Monday to about 8 minutes apart as of last night.  She's currently at the OB for her last appointment for the pregnancy (she is scheduled for a repeat c-section Tuesday).

2) My wife is hoping to have him early, but preferably not today.  Today, or rather, this date is not one of my wife's favorites by any stretch of the imagination.  22 years ago, her father died in a Black Hawk crash in Iraq during a sandstorm.  He was part of the unit of helicopter pilots featured in the movie Black Hawk Down... the Nightstalkers of the 160th Special Operations Air Regiment.  Today has such negative feelings for her that she's been dreading the idea of having him today.

3) On a lighter note, Indiana beat Michigan State again.  This makes 7 ranked teams they've beaten this year, 3 losses for the season and 2 of those were to ranked teams and of the 3 losses, 2 were on buzzer beaters.  Definitely primed for a Big Ten regular season title and a likely #1 overall seed in the tournament.

4) My son loves the movie Wall-E.  Requests it by name and sits still through the whole thing.  I don't understand how a movie with such little dialog can keep him so engrossed for such a length of time, but I'm glad it does.  He loves Pixar in general, but Wall-E just really floats his boat for whatever reason.

5) I know I have zero control over when son #2 comes but I'm kinda hoping he holds on until Tuesday.  Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to meet him, but I set my floaters and vacation up for Tuesday to be the day and it works out if he goes then, I can get the most time off without losing any pay and I want as much time as I can before I have to go back to work.

• 1) I finished painting the ceiling in the nursery last night.  The previous owners had painted everything lavender.  We left it before because we just wanted to get moved in and settled.  It is surprising how difficult it is to cover up the lavender paint.

2) We have our birth class this weekend.  It is an all day affair on Saturday and Sunday.  I'm not looking forward to it.  I know it will come in handy later, but right now I am invested in getting the nursery finished and the class is going to take all my time this weekend.

3) I've been getting a non-stop stream of Reds spring training updates.  I thought I was at my peak level of excitement leading up to spring training, but I was wrong.  I'm more excited now for baseball season to start.

4) I got a new card game recently.  It's called Munchkin.  It is kind of a satire of D&D, but its fun and has a great sense of humor.  Managed to get a couple games together with some friends and I'm having a lot of fun with it.  I am trying to not get completely sucked in though because there are a lot of expansions for it and I could easily spend a lot of money on it.

5) My group at work has been understaffed for over a year.  We finally got a new employee, but it takes awhile to train them to be productive.  We had a guy pulled out of our group for a special project and another guy is leaving.  I am now stuck doing 2.5 people's job and training a new employee.  Good times.

• Loading the player...
  • imageColtsdad:

3) On a lighter note, Indiana beat Michigan State again.  This makes 7 ranked teams they've beaten this year, 3 losses for the season and 2 of those were to ranked teams and of the 3 losses, 2 were on buzzer beaters.  Definitely primed for a Big Ten regular season title and a likely #1 overall seed in the tournament.

I still don't know how we beat you guys at Bloomington, but Bo Ryan just owns Crean...always has.  As primed as you may think Indiana is right now, remember, Wisconsin has won 11 straight against the Hoosiers.  The Badgers, when they score, can compete with anyone in the country at this point in the season.  Indiana is a strong, strong squad, but this conference tournament is going to be a rumble this year. There could easily be two 1 seeds out of the conference. 

There are still some games to be played before calling out an overall #1 seed at this point.  But Indiana will certainly be a 1 seed in whatever region they wind up in.

• 1) My wife is sick.  We have not gone one week in my house without someone getting sick. She actually stayed home from work today and is going to the doctor's....something she never does.

2) The Bucks are in their post- All Star Break nosedive.  It is very sad to see my once proud franchise be reduced to the laughing stock of the league. 

3) Jake has some teeth that are starting to pop out now.  We can confirm at least 3 teeth so far, and he seems to be dealing with the pain better than we thought he would.

4) Jake will turn six months old Monday!!  It has gone by wayyyyyy to fast for us. Slow down, squirt!

5) The NFL combine is this weekend.  I might watch a little bit of it.  I will, however, watch all of the Daytona 500 on Sunday.

• imageladyjenna13:
    imageColtsdad:

I still don't know how we beat you guys at Bloomington, but Bo Ryan just owns Crean...always has.  As primed as you may think Indiana is right now, remember, Wisconsin has won 11 straight against the Hoosiers.  The Badgers, when they score, can compete with anyone in the country at this point in the season.  Indiana is a strong, strong squad, but this conference tournament is going to be a rumble this year. There could easily be two 1 seeds out of the conference. 

There are still some games to be played before calling out an overall #1 seed at this point.  But Indiana will certainly be a 1 seed in whatever region they wind up in.

Your Badgers destroyed my Buckeyes on Sunday.  It was so painful to watch.  You guys just couldn't miss!  I am definitely looking forward to the Big Ten tourney this year.  It should be a really good one.

• imageladyjenna13:
    imageColtsdad:

Wisconsin slowed the pace down enough to squeak out a win, they always seem to.  IU hadn't won in East Lansing since before all but one of the current players were even alive, so streaks do end.  Wisconsin does seem to have our number though.

I'm just saying if things hold true, the #1 overall seed should be in sight.  I'm not taking anything for granted in the Big Ten this year though, I figured that the regular season champ could very well have 4 losses this year, and with still having to play Ohio State and go on the road to Minnesota and Michigan, I know running the table is not a guarantee.  I figure the tournament should be an absolute blood bath, with any of almost 7 or 8 teams with a shot to win if they get hot... only teams I don't give much of a shot to are Northwestern, Iowa, Penn State, Purdue and Nebraska... any of the remaining teams could take it and make things really interesting up in Chicago.

• 1) Where have the last 5 and a half weeks gone?  It feels like she just got here.

2) Fiona's definitely getting more pronounced features.  She's got my nose, eyes, and high cheekbones, and she has Mrs. Willicus' ears, mouth, and chin.  She's also starting to mimic our facial expressions, which is just adorable.

3) Mrs. Willicus is going back to work soon, which means I'll be in full stay at home dad mode.  I'm excited and nervous about it, but I think it'll be great bonding time with the small one.

4) My dad and step mother were up this past weekend.  He instantly fell in love with her.  I jokingly said to his wife "And as soon as y'all get back to NC, you're going to be asking your kids where your grandchildren are."  She replied with "You're damn right I am," which I found amusing.

5) The Braves are looking like they'll be good this year.  I'm excited.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm loving how good the Big Ten is at basketball this year overall.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • imageWillicus:

3) Mrs. Willicus is going back to work soon, which means I'll be in full stay at home dad mode.  I'm excited and nervous about it, but I think it'll be great bonding time with the small one.

How long are you going to be Full time Stay At Home?

I'm kinda jealous, to be honest. DS can exhaust me on weekend days I have him all day, but I do wish I got more face time with him during the week.

• imagePrime:
    imageladyjenna13:
    imageColtsdad:

Your Badgers destroyed my Buckeyes on Sunday.  It was so painful to watch.  You guys just couldn't miss!  I am definitely looking forward to the Big Ten tourney this year.  It should be a really good one.

The Ohio State and Michigan State games were the two games I wanted to travel to Madison to see this season.  Guess I will have to wait for next year....

Kraft is an odd cat.  I think he is overrated at times.  He can be a lock down defender against guards his own size, but Traevon Jackson owned him in Sunday.  State could really use some guys who can score and create on their own.

• imageLuckyDad:
    I'm loving how good the Big Ten is at basketball this year overall.

It has been fun to watch.  The B10 tourney will be full of drama this year.  To watch Indiana go into Lansing and beat Michigan State with Magic in the house was pretty impressive.

My Badgers played 3 OT conference games in a row at one point this season (Iowa, Michigan and Minnesota).  Lost to Minnesota up there....a poor performance that saw Bucky not hit one single shot in the last ten minutes of regulation.

That is my fear, that Bucky will go on another long scoring draught at some point in March.  When they shot decent, they have a shot against anyone in the country, when they fart, a Minnesota can beat them.

• imageladyjenna13:

Kraft is an odd cat.  I think he is overrated at times.  He can be a lock down defender against guards his own size, but Traevon Jackson owned him in Sunday.  State could really use some guys who can score and create on their own.

I don't think Craft is overrated as a defender.  His offense has been on a downward slide since his freshman year.  That has been frustrating to watch.  Jackson didn't score until the second half and Craft was benched for the last 8 min or so.

The lack of a consistent second scorer is what has plagued OSU all year.  No one has been able to put it together.

• imagePrime:
    imageladyjenna13:

I don't think Craft is overrated as a defender.  His offense has been on a downward slide since his freshman year.  That has been frustrating to watch.  Jackson didn't score until the second half and Craft was benched for the last 8 min or so.

The lack of a consistent second scorer is what has plagued OSU all year.  No one has been able to put it together.

I had forgotten that Thad sat the starters midway through the second half.  The dude from Italy was flying all over Kohl Center!

• imageladyjenna13:
    imagePrime:
    imageladyjenna13:

I had forgotten that Thad sat the starters midway through the second half.  The dude from Italy was flying all over Kohl Center!

The Italian Stallion!  He's fun to watch.

• 1 wife went in to labor last night. Water broke at 11:30. Baby pushed out by 4:15

2 I have a beautiful baby girl weighing in at 7.6 pounds an 21 inches

3 the sabres fired lindy ruff after 16 years of service. Like him as a man but it was time to go

4 absolutely loved listening to my 8 year old screech and eeeek when she found we had a girl. I think she thinks she will have a play mate

5 I have been right on guessing the sex of my babies for all four kids now. Never changed my production one.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAdamant627:
    1 wife went in to labor last night. Water broke at 11:30. Baby pushed out by 4:15 2 I have a beautiful baby girl weighing in at 7.6 pounds an 21 inches 3 the sabres fired lindy ruff after 16 years of service. Like him as a man but it was time to go 4 absolutely loved listening to my 8 year old screech and eeeek when she found we had a girl. I think she thinks she will have a play mate 5 I have been right on guessing the sex of my babies for all four kids now. Never changed my production one.

Congrats on the baby girl!

I feel like it's clear you're a pro at being a dad at this point that you can mention your wife's labor and the sabre's coach in the same post :)

• imageLuckyDad:
    imageWillicus:

How long are you going to be Full time Stay At Home?

I'm kinda jealous, to be honest. DS can exhaust me on weekend days I have him all day, but I do wish I got more face time with him during the week.

For the foreseeable future.  Once she's a bit older and we're a bit more settled, I'll look for something part time, but it currently makes more financial sense for me to stay at home than to put her in daycare. 

• My 5....

1) I haven't been to the board in over 2 weeks, crazy....work is kicking my butt.

2) The kid is starting solids this weekend, I'm stoked! I already have Rice Cereal ready to go and some fruits and veggies for the following weekend. I'm overly proactive.

3) The wife and I are finally getting some "grown-up" time, not a lot...but I'll take what I can get.

4) I hosted two fundraisers at my son's school and raised $400 for the Parent's Board and $200 to repair my kid's classroom's bye bye buggy. Kind of awesome.

5) Still looking for that new gig....

• imageAdamant627:
    1 wife went in to labor last night. Water broke at 11:30. Baby pushed out by 4:15 2 I have a beautiful baby girl weighing in at 7.6 pounds an 21 inches

Dude! Congrats!

• imageDavidStamps:

Way to go bronze!  Moving on up in the Bump world!  haha

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"