January 2012 Moms
Options

bad mommy award...feeling terrible

DS fell off the stairs today.  Not just down, but also off.  Our basement stairs are L shaped and open on the sides.  We normally have the door closed, but I brought DS in from outside and didn't realize I had left the door open a crack.  I took his coat off and let him go while I was taking my coat off (and grabbing a cookie...makes me feel even better).  I heard a thud and immediately realized what it was.  I got to the top of the stairs just in time to see him rolling down the second set of stairs and head-first off the side.  Praise God there were some boxes below the steps and I think they helped break his fall.  He screamed for about 10 minutes then calmed down.  He has a few scrapes here and there but nothing else.  I was hysterical...I think I cried longer than he did.  I called my mom sobbing asking what I should do.

I have felt sickened all day. I know, I know, it's happened before...nobody's perfect...we all make mistakes.  I just can't get the image of my little baby rolling helplessly down those stairs out of my head. And I can't get rid of that sinking feeling I felt when I realized what was happening.  And I still feel guilty that I didn't notice the door was open.  I feel so awful!

Anniversary

Re: bad mommy award...feeling terrible

• Options
    I'm so glad he's ok! Hope you are able to shake that awful feeling.
  • Options
    It's so scary! I'm glad he's alright. Asher climb and fell down a few stairs a couple weeks ago, they are wood and he had a good bruise on his head. I felt terrible too.
    Mom to Emma, Noah, Isaac, Asa, Asher, Jonah and expecting baby Alice 7/16

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Aww hugs to you mommy. I can only imagine I would feel the same way. I left DS on the couch when he was a newborn and ran downstairs for a second. I heard a thud and immediate crying. Felt like the worst mother ever. These things happen they will have accidents. You didn't know the door was open. Try n

• Options
    Damn iPhone...I was going to say try not to be too hard on yourself. He's ok. It probably scared him more than anything even though he did get a few scrapes. He won't remember this, promise. ;

• Options
    No one is perfect and sometimes these things happen. The good thing he wasn't seriously injured and you can bet you'll probably never forget the door open again. I'm glad he's ok! Try not too be too hard on yourself. I understand what you mean about not getting it out of your head. When ds was about 3 months I put him on the couch with the boppy around his waist. I bent down to take the dogs collar off and he drove head first off the couch. Luckily my leg broke his fall and he only cried a few minutes but he had a lump on his forehead. Thinking of the sound of him hitting the ground still makes me sick to my stomach.
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• Options

Glad your son is ok! It's certainly scary and us moms feel awful when something like that happens but it does happen and in no shape or form are you a bad mom because of it. We are human and can't avoid all of tumbles.

Hugs!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It happens.  When she was about 1 my oldest was standing right beside my mom at the top of the stairs at my parents house.  She took a wrong step and went head over heals down the stairs into the wall at the bottom.  It all happened so fast that my mom couldn't even reach her as she started to fall and my mom was literally right beside her.  I'm fully expecting my youngest to take a tumble at some point too because stuff like that happens sometimes.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Options

Definitely have my share of feeling like a bad mother.. we have a gate at our house that separates the kitchen from the attached living room, and we use this instead of locking the cabinet doors. Well, when I'm home alone with DS, he usually wails and cries while grabbing onto the gate. So, sometimes, I let him explore around the "safe" cabinets while keeping a watchful eye he doesn't go into the other ones, because this will keep him occupied while I do stuff around the kitchen. But one day, he went under the sink and pulled out the Cascade dishwasher soap (forgot all about the soap being in there!) I caught him trying to pull open the plastic cover with his teeth (that melts in water!)... but he already got a few detergent in his mouth...

I got so upset at myself for being such a careless mother... but important thing is DS was okay, and we're mothers but we're also human. I always like to think our LOs have guardian angels and say a quick thank you prayer after he's dodged a big one.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"