Dads & Dads-to-be

Why is it a big deal

Ok so this is nothing to do with being a dad or a baby but I have to ask.
So at work late Thursday night early Friday morning which every you want to call it. I work midnights. I was doing my job and doing a round around my block I work in a jail. While on my round I notice something out of the ordinary in a cell. This happen to be a guy trying to commit suicide. So I go through the motions like I have been trained to do and the guy lived.
So now I have everyone here telling me good job and even got a call from the top sheriff in the county. Now to me I was just doing my job and I am thankful the guy lived.
My question is am I wrong for feeling that this is no big deal and don't deserve the attention? I understand what I did and everything but I feel that anyone that works here would have done the same thing. I really think that the attention I'm getting is bothering me more then the event of what I saw.
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Why is it a big deal

• I know it can be hard to take praise doing something you were supposed to do or is just part of the job.  Just because you are supposed to do it doesn't mean you didn't do a good thing.  It is a firefighters job to put out fires and save lives.  That doesn't make it any less heroic.

• I'm going to spin it this way. Think of the last time you were at a bar or restaurant or shopping. What percentage of the people working there do you think were doing their jobs at or above the minimum expected level?

Sure, you were just doing your job and in some ways going through the motions, but the fact is, you did your job well, under pressure, and a person is alive today because of your actions. That's kind of a cool thing.

There's nothing wrong with being humble about the attention you receive. You can sincerely say things like "Thank you, but it's what anyone would have done" or "I was just doing my job", and you'll come across well. Bottom line, this will all blow over in a week or two either way. Just smile and be gracious when people make a big deal and remind yourself it's much more fun being in your current position than in the dog house at work.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • Loading the player...
  • I look at it like this.  We all work very hard at our jobs and careers for a large period of time in our lives.  We are rewarded in all the other areas of our lives, so why should it be any different in the workplace, where we spend so much of our time?

I am more motivated to succeed when I am recognized for those things that provide value to the organization that I work for. I work hard for my company, so being rewarded for my efforts and time spent away from family motivates me to continue working at such a high level.

I think you should be proud of your accomplishments, and accept the rewards that come with them. The two concepts are very much inter-twined with one another.  With all the time and energy we spend on our careers, those moments when we are recognized for that should be embraced.

• Doing your job led to the preservation of a human life. Sure, the guy is in jail, but that doesn't mean he won't make a change for the better and go on to be a really productive person. You might have saved someone who does go on to help others or be a great dad himself, or any number of positive things. So yes, you deserve the praise. If the guy is a child-raping sonofabish then maybe you could have let him go about his business... but it doesn't sound that way from your post.

And yes, I think those types deserve to die. 

• I think the same way about the child rappers being a dad of four. That's why I make sure I try not to find out what they are in for.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"