Hop flights — The Bump
Military Families

Hop flights

Has anybody had any experience doing a hop flight? My husband has only done it once before, and it was a nightmare for him, as he flew out days before 9/11.

We're considering doing an international hop. I suppose the flight out is weekly, and there have been several open seats continuously. This would end up saving us thousands of dollars if everything worked out, but it could end up costing us thousands more for last minute flights. Would you risk it? Our plan would be to try each week for a month to get out there. I guess there are several return flights each week. We aren't booking any hotels, etc. We also don't need to be there on a specific date. Obviously, returning wil be a much bigger priority, as my husband will need to be back from leave.

Anyways, I've never done a hop. Any tips?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hop flights

• imageIgoo0304:
    If you can afford to be very flexible, it's great. Do you know about pepperd. com? People track flights there and post what the current schedule for the hops at their bases. It's also good for figuring out alternatives, like if the flight you want is cancelled, figuring out how to get to another base for a different flight.nbsp;My son and I hopped once when we were stationed overseas, and it was pretty easy but time consuming with waiting around the terminal so much. We didn't have this issue, but we saw people get turned away for packing too heavily, so try to pack as lightly as possible. nbsp;

Thanks for the website. Do you know what the weight requirement are? My husband mentioned he thought it may be 150 lbs for the three of us, and that they may weigh us individually.
  • Loading the player...
  • AHHH Thank you so much for posting this question. My DH just got excepted into the army and leaves for basic in three weeks. I am a navy brat who just lost military benifits a year ago when I turned 23. So I know all bout hop flights ( I used to call them Mac flights) Anywho, My parents just moved to England and my dad is working Alconbury base there so I am hopping to eventually catch some Hop flights over. I will have the flexibility so I am super excited. Just have to figure out the rule for traveling with my 7 month old. Any way thank you. That website should help!
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't recommend using them if he's on leave due to the unpredictability.  If you're not active duty and you want to use it them go for it.

That being said, please do not do this going to Europe/Turkey.  I cannot tell you how demoralizing it is to be on a plane to Afghanistan, thinking about how long it will be till you see your family again or what might happen, and sharing plane space with families who are excited to be going on vacation.  Talk about totally different mind sets. 

• It is my understanding that you can NOT hop flight from the states unless your husband is deployed for more than X amount of time.

I would hop flights from mildenhall UK to Travis AFB in California quite a bit. I would NOT reccomend doing it while your husband is on leave because of the possibility he may not get back in time. I always hopped flights by myself with my kids because my husband was gone so I went home and my flexibility was a non issue.

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageCarnation77:

I wouldn't recommend using them if he's on leave due to the unpredictability.  If you're not active duty and you want to use it them go for it.

That being said, please do not do this going to Europe/Turkey.  I cannot tell you how demoralizing it is to be on a plane to Afghanistan, thinking about how long it will be till you see your family again or what might happen, and sharing plane space with families who are excited to be going on vacation.  Talk about totally different mind sets. 

???  You have to be on leave in order to even get on the flight.  I have taken 2 flights within the last 6 months back and forth twice to Europe and no, they are not completely full of deploying people.  We live in Europe so it is a cheaper means of getting back home for a funeral, in my case.  Not a vacation.  I'm assuming you have never been on the rotators to/from Europe.  They are full of PCSing families and members going on/returning from R&R.  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards