Maryland Babies

New to Baltimore and first pregnancy

Hi all,

I moved to Baltimore one month ago, so I am quite new in the city. Three weeks ago I realized that I'm pregnant and now I'm in week 8. I did not yet tell anybody except my husband and we are very excited. As this is my first pregnancy, I would love to tell everybody family and friends about it. But we decided to wait until the first doctors appointment end of February or even end of week 12. Now I feel a little alone with our secret and I just want to tell somebody :

How did you feel the first weeks of your pregnancy? Did or do you have morning sickness and things like this? I do not feel very pregnant, only a little tired... so I started to go jogging to get fresh air, but it would be much more fun to not go alone...

I will have the first appointment at the Johns Hopkins Hospital. Do you have any experience with the ob/gyns there?

Re: New to Baltimore and first pregnancy

• First off congratulations!

I know with both my pregnancy, I never really felt pregnant until I started to feel movement or saw the baby via U/S (at around 12 weeks). I didn't really have MS, but did have some food aversions though, which made it feel more real. 

• No suggestions/recs for Johns Hopkins but I did want to say welcome and congrats!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi Julia!

We are also brand new to Baltimore County, 8 weeks, and at Hopkins (main campus, not Bayview)!!

I had my first appointment a couple of weeks ago- I am having some problems that put me in the 'high risk' category.  The doctor and fellow were amazing, Yale and Harvard grads, etc.   

My one giant negative - the nurses were  AWFUL from my telephone conversation and during my first appointment, they were extremely rude and callous.  For this reason we considered switching to GBMC- everyone on this board seems to have had amazing experiences with the docs there....but in our research the docs education and training wasn't quite as stringent.  Since I am high risk, we're going to err on the side of caution with this one, stay with Hopkins, and just grow thicker skin with the nurses. : /     If I was having a typical pregnancy, honestly, we would switch hospitals. 

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Hi and welcome.  Both of my pregnancies were farily easy.  I had zero m/s with my son, with my daughter I didn't feel sick exactly, but had some serious food aversions and lost 15 pounds in the first trimester becasue I couldn't bring myself to really eat much.  In the first few weeks I felt relatively normal, I didn't "feel" pregnant until I started feeling both my kids move.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageTNB82:

Hi Julia!

We are also brand new to Baltimore County, 8 weeks, and at Hopkins (main campus, not Bayview)!!

I had my first appointment a couple of weeks ago- I am having some problems that put me in the 'high risk' category.  The doctor and fellow were amazing, Yale and Harvard grads, etc.   

My one giant negative - the nurses were  AWFUL from my telephone conversation and during my first appointment, they were extremely rude and callous.  For this reason we considered switching to GBMC- everyone on this board seems to have had amazing experiences with the docs there....but in our research the docs education and training wasn't quite as stringent.  Since I am high risk, we're going to err on the side of caution with this one, stay with Hopkins, and just grow thicker skin with the nurses. : /     If I was having a typical pregnancy, honestly, we would switch hospitals. 

I had a high risk pregnancy, including a stay in the high risk unit, as well as a preemie.  My son and I got nothing but the best care at GBMC.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Welcome!! I hope you manage to get through 1st tri relatively symptom free!

I still have morning sickness on and off and I'm still pretty tired, but it's not too horrible. I had it until 18 weeks with my son, but that's not the norm.

I delivered my son (and will deliver this LO too) at Howard County which is affiliated with Hopkins.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • Thanks for the many replies!

It's like a curse! Since yesterday I'm sick all the day. I don't like meat or fish anymore, I only want to eat cereals and apples and really like hot chocolate, which I didn't like before... I hope this doesn't last long...

I think I will go to the first appointments at Johns Hopkins and then we will see... I have an appointment with a nurse first and the next day I will see a doctor. What does the nurse do and what does usually happen at the first doctor's visit? I haven't been to a ob/gyn in the US yet, so maybe it is different to what I am used to?

• imagejuliaba:

Thanks for the many replies!

It's like a curse! Since yesterday I'm sick all the day. I don't like meat or fish anymore, I only want to eat cereals and apples and really like hot chocolate, which I didn't like before... I hope this doesn't last long...

I think I will go to the first appointments at Johns Hopkins and then we will see... I have an appointment with a nurse first and the next day I will see a doctor. What does the nurse do and what does usually happen at the first doctor's visit? I haven't been to a ob/gyn in the US yet, so maybe it is different to what I am used to?

This will vary by practice, but generally the first appt is a bunch of paper work (family history, etc) and some baseline blood work. The doctor may do a pap if you are due for one, and they may do an ultrasound if you haven't already had one. Again, this varies by practice.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • Congratulations and welcome!

I don't have any direct experience with JHH, but I delivered at Howard County General which is part of the Hopkins system and had a really great experience. The nurses and staff were outstanding and really went out of their way to make me feel welcome and comfortable. 

In regards to first tri symptoms, I was lucky in that I only had low-grade M/S until about 13 weeks, but I found that saltines and sour candies really helped to curb the nausea. I kept lemonheads and sour patch kids at my desk and pretty much sucked on those all day long. Hopefully you get a break soon! It's so tough to feel sick all the time and not be able to tell anyone why you're feeling so crappy.

• Hi,

today I feel much better and I am not sick until now. Maybe it's because of the lemon ginger tea? I think it helps a lot!

• Julia, when is your first appointment?  I have appts. on Wed afternoon and Thurs morning this coming week.  Will I possibly run into you?

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Unfortunately, you will not run into me. I have appts on Thurs afternoon and Friday morning... Good luck with your appts and I'm excited to hear about it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"