Maryland Babies

Special Beginnings?

I was wondering if anyone has any experience or reviews/info about Special Beginnings Birth Center in Arnold, MD?  I am possibly transferring there for my birth and was hoping to hear from others.  Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Special Beginnings?

• I am also switching to Special Beginnings. 

Some people in this thread talking about special beginning some.  Hopefully some people will post more of their experiences!

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/68586463.aspx

• I switched to SB around 20 weeks for #2.  I am trying for a VBAC and my formerly VBAC friendly OB turned very negative about it as soon as I got PG with #2.  I was actually just there this morning for my weekly visit.  I actually know 3 other mom's who have had babies there and it was on their recc that I switched.  While I haven't yet delivered with them, the care I have recieved there has been much differenet than it was with my OB (which was a local popular Annapolis OB practice).  I feel like the MW's take more time with me, ask more questions and I know that they consult with each other a lot, which I really like (they all seem to be on the same page).  I will not be able to deliver in the birthing center because I am a VBAC, but they also can deliver at AAMC if you are more comfortable with that.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks!  Good to know! It makes me feel a little better that others are choosing a birth center since it seems like almost everyone I tell freaks out and thinks I am crazy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love Special Beginnings! I went there when I was pregnant with my daughter and I will be going there for this pregnancy as well.

The midwives are all wonderful. David ended up delivering my daughter and he was great! I loved laboring at the birth center - it is so nice and home-like. I did end up transferring to the hospital for an epidural (after 22 hours of my DD not dropping with contractions coming every 2 minutes and I'd been running on 3 hours of sleep - yikes!) but even the transfer went smoothly. David was with me the whole time - I never even saw an OB. I was completely happy with my experience.

During the pregnancy, I loved being able to come to Special Beginnings for prenatal visits rather than a hospital or OB office. It is just such a pleasant environment. I never waited more than 5 minutes past my appointment time and none of the MWs ever made me feel rushed. They always took the time to talk and answer any questions or concerns I had.

In case it isn't obvious, I 100% recommend Special Beginnings! I hope you like it as much as I do! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I can share more later...had a great experience there in 2009 ( switched from an ob at 24 weeks, people esp family thought I was crazy too).  Started out there w. dd. but decided that I wanted a home birth so I switched to an at home provider.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My friend delivered there last year and had a great experience!  
    4.23.12 - BFP! EDD 1.3.12

imageimage

• I love Special Beginnings!! I highly recommend them - I transferred there after being diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks. I was diet-controlled and was able to have a water birth. I HIGHLY recommend getting in the water- it completely relaxed me and helped the labor and delivery go a lot smoother.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have! 

Visit The Nest! image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm the friend referenced earlier :-) I had a great experience there. Wonderful waterbirth with Joanne. I have zero complaints and am definitely planning on returning for #2. Feel free to PM me with questions!
  • I Love the idea of Special Beginnings!!!! but can anyone tell me if they do ultrasounds? i went on the tour but did not think about this until today. Sorry if this is a silly question. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"