November 2011 Moms
Options

Survived our first trip to the ER

Last weekend, right before we were about to leave for our anniversary dinner, LO took a few steps and tripped and went face first into the windowsill and got a bit cut on his face. It stopped bleeding after about 15 minutes and he stopped crying but we were unsure if it needed stitches or not :(  It's hard to know as a first time parent if you are being overly worried or not and it was at night so we could not just swing him by his pedi.  In the end we canceled our plans, and took him to the ER to be looked at just as as precaution.. luckily he just needed some glue to help it heal and no stitches. He seemed more curious about everything in the ER that was a potential new toy to play with, LOL

I feel like I am always holding my breath with my super active toddler... he has energy like no other is so fearless!!  Have any of you had trips to the ER for bumps, cuts, falls, and what is your "threshhold" for deciding to take them in?    

Re: Survived our first trip to the ER

• Options
    DS hasn't been to the ER for any bumps or bruises but has for illness.
    Unless he hits his head hard and is acting strange or he's bleeding and it doesn't stop, I don't think I'd take him in.
    He falls and hits his giant [93rd percentile] head constantly and doesn't even cry. Although he currently has a black eye from one of his recent bumps and I'm pretty sure everyone that sees him thinks I am the worst parent ever for that one!
    But what can I say, toddlers are bound to get some bumps and bruises. Glad to hear your LO didn't need stitches!
         Lilypie - (2Lt7)      Lilypie - (WFOL)

Jonah Stephen born at 39w on 11/3/2011                Naomi Isabel born at 37w 5d on 5/27/2013
  • Options
    Glad he's OK!  We've never been to the ER or had a reason to question whether or not to go ::knock on wood::
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Aw, no! Glad everything turned out ok. I think if it gives you a peace of mind, then take him. You never know! I'm sure people have been in for worse...haha
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am glad your LO is okay!  Thankfully neither of my kiddos have had any ER worthy bumps or bruises.  DS did have an ambulance ride and ER visit  once because he choked (turned blue and stopped breathing).  That was a pretty clear cut decision, but I don't know what my ER bumps and bruises threshold is.

BFP #1 10/13/09 EDD 06/20/10 DS Born on 06/26/10
    BFP #2 03/08/11 EDD 11/16/11 DD Born on 11/04/11
    BFP #3 08/29/12 EDD 05/06/13 M/C on 08/30/12
    BFP #4 11/01/12 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C on 12/28/12
    BFP #5 04/30/13 EDD 01/03/14 DS Born on 01/02/14
    BFP #6 01/11/15 EDD 09/22/15 M/C 03/09/15
  • Options

Only for illnesses.  DS1 has had multiple goose eggs on his forehead.  We just keep a close eye on him and make sure he doesn't show any signs of a concussion.  He has also split his lip and bit his tongue; those so far have been the only bleeding injuries.  

I think our threshold is if he showing signs of a concussion, acting strange, or the bleeding won't stop. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    So glad LO is okay!

DS is a lil daredevil. He is always testing the limits. It results in bumps, bruises, a bloody mouth,a bruised toenail and 2 blackeyes. Wow, I sound like MOTY!

We haven't had to take him to the er just yet. I watch for signs of head injury or if he had bleeding that can't be stopped.

Baby Boy #2 is on the way!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    DD pulled her elbow out of the joint one night, that was our only ER visit thank goodness. Glad LO is ok!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"