Natural Birth
Options

Questions for other home birth-ers

What kind of food did you make sure to have in the house? Not just for you, but did you make sure to have food/drink for your midwives?

All I took to the hospital with me for DS was goldfish and dried fruit. But since this time I am home and can have things on hand in my cupboard I am looking for more substantial choices.

Also, tea? Coconut Water? other suggestions?

TIA!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Questions for other home birth-ers

• Options

I just ate normal foods during labor.  My mother was there and she was in charge of cooking for everyone.  Since it was a 20 hour labor, she ended up cooking pancakes/bacon/eggs for everyone for breakfast, some soup for lunch, and then ordered some food from a local restaurant for dinner.  My MWs were very appreciative!  I'm planning to do the same thing for this delivery.  My mom already got all of the ingredients for her oatmeal pancakes because I tend to labor through the night and morning.

For drinking, I just made sure I brewed a pot of coffee as soon as labor started.  We have a water filter attached to our sink and everyone just drank that if they didn't want coffee.

During labor I ate a full breakfast, a couple spoons of the soup, some cheese, yogurt, and during pushing some spoonfuls of honey.  I didn't eat the dinner until after delivery, but it was really nice to have yummy food waiting on me. 

• Options

I'd like to have some lasagna and chicken broccoli Alfredo bake pre-made and possibly frozen and ready for all of us to enjoy (I'll have DH, 2 MW, my Doula, and me). Then whatever is left over, DH and I can enjoy without thinking about what to make.

(both dishes are about a 9x13 pan in size)

For water, I'll likely make a couple of gallons of sweet tea, have some lemonade mix on hand, and obviously plenty of water for everyone. 

My MW suggest that I have gatorade or something on hand for me during labor. So we'll do that and possibly have some sodas for everyone else.

I'll likely also try to have some snacks on hand that are high in protein because there's no telling how long labor will be and how much I'll want to eat at any moment.

VOTE on my Name List
    Check out my Team Green baby names! P.S. I'm not serious with any of the names
    BabyFruit Ticker
    My BFP Chart
    BFP 9/7/12, EDD 5/15/13
    MW interview said 5/17/13 and changed back to 5/15/13 after first visit
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mmmmmm your reply just made me hungry!! LOL

I am already in love with home birthing and I havent even done it yet. Any day now! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had cheese, crackers, fresh fruit, and other snacks available. I also had juice, pop, water, and coffee for the MWs. My Dh bought a bunch of bagels for us that morning, so he made bagel, egg, cheese, and ham sandwiches for us all after the birth. Which was SO good! But like PP said, if it had been later in the day, pizza or some sort of delivery would've been great. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • Options
    I just made sure to have a good variety of food in the house at the end of my pregnancy. You never know what you will need. You may have a long labor and need multiple meals for the birth team.

Or your labor might go quickly and you will need nothing. When in the early stages of labor with J., I went to the store to buy fruit. The midwives came over midafternoon for a few minutes. They left and came back early evening. J. was born not long before midnight. So we never really fixed a meal during labor. By the time they came back in the evening things were progressing so there was no eating (I would be surprised if they hadn't eaten while at their homes). 

After J. was born, DH did make some sandwiches for them (at about 1 am). 

With A. I think he offered sandwiches again after her birth. The midwives came over midafternoon and she was born just after 5 pm. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I purchased some frozen bagels and cream cheese to have around, since that would have lasted a few weeks. They weren't even there long enough to need a snack though LOL. (arrived at 4a, gone by 7:30a).

This time, I'll probably do the same and I'll also have PB, cheese, crackers, etc. Stuff that won't spoil very quickly.  Tea bags would be handy for the midwives, with the kettle being out on the stove.

For myself, I made sure there was OJ and coconut water to drink right after the birth. It was refreshing. I read recently that some midwives carry chocolate milk, that it's a great post-birth drink to have for the sugar, fat and protein. I might see about having that ready too. :-)

• Options
    Make sure to ask if any of them have dietary restrictions. If your midwife is a vegetarian you can accomodate that easily enough but if they are kosher vegans, or something really challenging maybe you can ask them to bring their own food.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"