Maryland Babies

St. Agnes c-section rate?

Hi everyone!!  I am new here (both to this forum and to MD in general) and I hope this is the right place to post.  I just found out the C-section rate at St. Agnes is 40%. At 32 weeks pregnant, this worries me.  I am going to the Columbia Women's OBGYN group, but now I am considering switching because I don't want to be pressured into a c-section...

Has anyone delivered through Columbia Women's OBGYN at St. agnes and had a positive experience?  The reviews i'm seeing on google aren't very encouraging.  Any rec's on what doctor to switch to in Howard County/Anne Arundel area? 

Re: St. Agnes c-section rate?

• Somethings to look at with C-Section rates is do they have specialized care that the surrounding hospitals do not. GBMC has a high C-Section rate, but they have a really good high risk ward that many women choose to use. It many not be a "pressure" thing. Talk to your doctor, your doctor will be the one to recommend the C-section. Makes sure you are clear about what you want in a delivery and be open and honesty with your OB. 
  • imagemdharris29:
    Somethings to look at with C-Section rates is do they have specialized care that the surrounding hospitals do not. GBMC has a high C-Section rate, but they have a really good high risk ward that many women choose to use. It many not be a "pressure" thing. Talk to your doctor, your doctor will be the one to recommend the C-section. Makes sure you are clear about what you want in a delivery and be open and honesty with your OB. 

This. 

FWIW, both women I know who have had babies at St. Agnes had c-sections and then repeats with babies 2 and 3. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I personally switched from Columbia Women's Group because I didn't want to deliver at St. Agnes. We live maybe 4 miles from Howard County General and 15 from St. Agnes. DH also knows a bunch of people at Howard County through his job. I moved to John's Hopkins on Steven's Forest Rd. They've been fantastic so far. 

Me:27, DH:28 - DX: MFI, varicocele repair Nov 2011 
    Post-Op SA: Count- 15 million, Motility- 75%, Morphology- 3% 
    IVF with ICSI - Stimming 10/4/12 - 10/13/12, Lupron Trigger
    ER 10/18/1212 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 5 fertilized
    5 day transfer 10/23/12, 3 frosties
    Beta #1 11/5/12: 453, Beta #2 11/7/12: 1,013, DD born 7/19/13
  • Honestly I would check with your Doctor...it's generally them who preassure-not the hospital!
    image DD#1-Lillian (Lilly) Grace BabyFruit Ticker BLOG:http://lifeasweknowitkelly.blogspot.com/
  • Yeah, I will give them a call tomorrow.  As some others have said, it might be a good idea to get their percentages for low-risk, first time mothers.  Thanks for the insights!
  • imageBunintheOven311:
    Honestly I would check with your Doctor...it's generally them who preassure-not the hospital!

Exactly this. it's more the practice's rate than the hospital. Hospitals in and around urban areas will almost always have higher c-section rates because of the populations they serve. Poorer women, on average, have more c-sections and riskier pre-term births which may need inductions that lead to c-sections.

I personally don't want to deliver at St. Agnes because they are a Catholic hospital and I know I want my tubes tied with the next one. I've heard nothing but good things about Howard County General for deliveries. Signature and Johns Hopkins OB/GYN practices get good reviews, too.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • I am not familiar with that hospital.  If you do not want a c/s, educate yourself.  Talk to your doctor.  Often times hospitals will pressure women into c/s for things that are a totally normal part of labor, such as baby's heart rate dropping.

I had a VBAC with my second child, and it was successful in part due to the fact that I educated myself and made my intentions very well known to my doctors. However, I was offered a c/s several times during my labor (contrax stalled, heartrate dropped).
    Laura & Jim ~ July 10, 2004
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    miscarriage on 11/26/09 at 5w6d
  • I have heard some questionable things about their postpartum practices ( separation of babies from mom, etc).  Have you looked into a midwife group?  Kathy Sloan ( or is it Slone) out of Mercy and the midwives at special begiinings are good places to start.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I delivered at St Agnes with my 1st and will soon again with #2. I go to the women's group and do not feel like I have to worry about a c section any more than I would with any other Doctor or at any other hospital. I also had a wonderful experience wit the post partum care and kept my baby in my room the entire time. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I know this is late, and not sure if you will see it, but I had my LO at St. Agnes.  I was induced and started from O.  I did have a csection, but they let me go as long as I wanted and as long as was safe for my LO.  They didn't push me.  However, my OB wanted to, but in the end, the docs on staff there were wonderful.  I was pushed for over 3 hours and was in labor for 2 full days.  Finally at almost the 3rd day, I asked for the csection.

Just food for thought. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"