Eco-Friendly Family
Options

insecticide?

Does anyone know of something natural and non-toxic that works as an insecticide? The last two winters have been really mild so bugs have been more of an issue in the spring. I keep my house really clean but with multiple kids learning to self feed there is frequently food on the floor during mealtimes. I watch some kids in addition to my own. Two are crawlers so I can't have any bugs on the floor but I also can't be using harsh chemicals. What does everyone else use?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: insecticide?

• Options

In this case...a good offense is your best defense? I don't think I'd treat insects without there actually being an issue. Clean floors each night. Don't leave fruit or compost sitting out long. Seal up anywhere outside where bugs could get in (caulking, gaps, broken screens,etc).

We get ants really easily in our mild environment, so you might consider an outside barrier around the house. Diotemacious Earth (sp?) is also something you can sprinkle down if needed to treat bugs.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I agree with PP that Diatomaceous Earth [sp?] is a good way to kill buggies, but it is not good to breathe in as it is made up of silica. also very important to find FOOD GRADE only b/c the kind you use for pools has toxic chemicals. I would probably save it for outdoor use since you have crawlers, cause its not good to breathe in.

i live in a heavily wooded area, so no matter how much i  was sweeping/mopping/dusting there was always cobwebs, ants and *shudders* roaches. EEK.

Here is a link to a homemade multi-purpose cleaner: https://happyhomemaker88.com/2009/05/02/recipe-for-homemade-citrus-enzyme-a-natural-cheap-effective-all-purpose-cleaner/
    (i should add- its super easy. all you need is a jug, citrus peels, brown sugar, water, and time)

You can use leftover citrus peels, old apples, whatever you have/use. (the best smelling stuff i had was pineapple rind and a lemon peel or two)

The worst part is waiting three months to use it, (and making sure to open it every day or you will have spewed it everywhere as it is fermenting) but i cleaned the entire bathroom and kitchen with it, then poured the dirty leftover water down the drain for good measure, and we've had no buggies since. No harsh chemicals, so its super safe. (even read a related post where people used glass and a more sanitary method to make a drinkable detox- personally wouldnt go that far with it. lol) 
    Hope this helps!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Rosemary oil and peppermint are really good insecticides.  You can apply it to your baseboards to keep bugs out.   Or, you can try getting the premade stuff at Home Depot.   I don't remember the exact name, but it's all just essential oils, no funky chemicals.   They have it in aerosol and in a regular spray bottle if you're not into depleting the ozone.  lol...  

They also make an insect repellent for your skin, as well. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"