24 Weeks Pregnant

crib bumpers....

So I have always been a bit leary of crib bumpers, but while watching the Today show today they had a story on about the dangers (which were exactly what I thought) of bumbers and other crib "extras". I am already pretty sure I'm going to be going woth out any of the extras in our crib, I am just wondering if anyone has seen and/or used the newer mesh bumpers and how you all feel about this.

momon0124

Re: crib bumpers....

• I saw the Today Show, too!

Here is the link is anytone want to see this very infoarmative story on crib bumpers. https://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/47414692/ns/today-today_rossen_reports/t/rossen-reports-crib-products-may-be-deadly-experts-say/#.T7P4Pr-GITl

This story is long overdue; however like you said there new innovations available for moms that are much better than the traditional bumpers. personally I prefer the Wonder Bumpers and found the mesh bumpers kind of cheap and flimsy:( The WBs are awesome because my son could his head anywhere on the crib and be protected and I swear he slept better the first night we put them on. I love them and would buy them for every new mom, if I could.

• Hi Ladies

Bumpers of any kind are not suppose to be in the crib. The fear is the child getting caught in between the mattress and the bumper. A babies head is the heaviest part of its body for a long time and their neck strength is soooo weak that once wedged anywhere it is easily stuck their. I have a 5yr old, a 3yr old and one on the way and never put a bumper pad in their beds. i really don't remember them hitting their heads that often that it was a big concern.

I say for safe sleep do not use bumper pads at all.

• Loading the player...
  • What i know is the Infants should not have bumpers in their crib because they can get trapped in between. 

As they get a little older some kids are very active and then the bumper is not a hazard anymore but actually protects the kid's head from hitting the wood pretty hard when moving around. 

I will use one for my baby when he will be a little older. (8months??)

• I can only speak from what I came across researching the topic, but from what I found, no deaths have been attributed to mesh bumpers with the velcro. In general, I've found that people indicated the mesh bumpers might be worth it if your child is prone to getting bruised or still getting stuck. Again, my information is not from personal experience, but hopefully it helps a little.
  • I have a one year old and never used one and it was never a problem. A lot of manufacturers won't even sell them with their sets anymore. 
  • I wasn't too happy with the mesh bumpers.  I purchased one and it was so hard to put on the crib.  Also, it made is really hard to change the crib sheets.  Even though they claim to be safe there is still room for strangulation in my opinion.  I got rid of mine and purchased Wonder Bumpers.  They are pads that zip over the crib bars.  They were easy to put on and really cute.  I felt safer with them, there was no room for strangulation.
  • I would avoid the extras also.  Crib bumpers have caused infant deaths.  I didn't like the mesh bumpers, they were unattractive and hard to put on.  I also felt that they could also cause entanglement.  I like Wonder Bumpers, they are a breathable bumper.  They zip up the crib pads and are awesome.  I don''t have to worry about my little one getting injured from the bare crib bars or worse getting suffocated by a padded crib bumper.  There is more information on them at gomamagodesigns.com, they also offer free shipping.  Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"