Adoption

i talked to an agency

i talked to an adoption agency and they were nice. i picked out a couple to meet with. we're meeting at the agency on friday. when you met with a mom what kinda questions did you like being asked, what kinda questions didn't you like being asked?
I'm Holly Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: i talked to an agency

• The more questions, the better IMO :)  
    I also think that there's little, within reason, that should be off-limits.  If something is important to you, ask.

FWIW-  our meetings were very informal and conversation flowed.  It was more of a "first date" feeling... general life questions.
    image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • I agree with pp. our first meeting was very laid back and informal. We talked about BM going to school a lot and about DH and I's families. Good luck! Let us know how it goes! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC since June 2009
    01/10- Femara
    03/10- Femara
    07/2010- Clomid with injectables and IUI #1
    08/2010- IUI #2
    06/2011- IVF #1 BFP!
    09/2011- Miscarriage at 10 1/2 weeks
    11/2011- FET
    01/2012- Start Home Study process
    03/2012- Home Study approved and now waiting on our child to find us!
    07/2012- matched with a BM who is due in October!
    11/10/12- our son is born!
    11/13/12- court grants us custody!
     12/28/12- finalization! Always ours in our hearts, but.now also ours forever

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

http://keepingupwiththejoneses-dana.blogspot.com/

• Loading the player...
  • We havent even had the opportunity to meet eps yet so I have no advice. I am pretty open about everything. If people ask questions I usually tell them more than they want to know. Lol!

I just want to wish you luck and please keep us posted :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our expectant parent asked us about what we did as our jobs, what our interests are, they asked us what level of openness we were interested in and how we think that might work. They asked us about our families, and our holidays and traditions. They asked us what brought us to adoption.  They told us why they were interested in our profile. If felt like an exceptionally high stakes blind date. But we absolutely clicked right away and didn't want the meeting to end- any of the three of us. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Not an AP (yet), but I am a BM. I think it's important that you ask about things that were important to you.

For example, it was kind of important to me that M's parents be sensitive people, since M's BD was, I think, probably a sensitive little boy who wasn't ever handled with any sort of care. So he had a hard time expressing any emotions, which was really sad. We also both are very musical, so I wanted APs who loved music and would encourage that if he wanted to learn. I wanted APs who either already had a child or wanted more than one bc I didn't want M to be lonely, and I wanted APs who were Christians and very involved in their church.

They were older than I would have preferred, but the other things were more important for me. No one's priorities should be weighed more heavily than yours. Entrusting your child to others is hard; it helps to be certain of some things that are important. M's parents are totally not perfect, and they do some things I wish they didn't, but I know that he's thriving with them, and making them a family was my doing. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
    Application approved Dec '11
    Mar '12: Homestudy interrupted by change in Uganda requirements - where do we go from here?
    After searching and searching, back with Uganda but with our homestudy agency's program.
    Homestudy complete July 19
    USCIS I-600A submitted July 20. Biometrics appointments arrived Aug 17; fingerprinted Aug 21; 171H received Sept 25th. On the wait list Oct 1st: #18. By Jan 25th, we're #13!
    Come home, baby A!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"