Military Families
Options

crying causes "flash back"....

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Re: crying causes "flash back"....

• Options
    It sounds like he needs some counseling. Baby's cry. He should not be getting mad at you or your LO because she's crying nor should he expect you to make sure she never cries. That's unreasonable. 
    Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'm sorry you're dealing with this. But there is nothing you can do to mitigate this problem. Your husband needs counseling ASAP. He can get it anonymously through Military One Source. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree - he needs to get some help.

• Options

While its important to know that his reactions and feelings are not his fault, he also at this point needs to take control and get some help. Different things work for different people there is no one size fits all for this, but he needs to do something, anything. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Wow.  That is so scary.  He needs education and counseling.  Education on what is normal for babies/toddlers and counseling to deal with his anger and stress.

For now, I would not leave him alone with your baby.

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• Options

If he's overreacting that badly to a bit of age appropriate crying, then you need to worry first and foremost about the safety of your DD. if that means never leaving him alone with her, do that. If it means living separately until he is under control, do that. Her safety trumps all else.

Secondly, you need to DEMAND he seeks help, period. It isn't an option. It is a must.if he refuses, than it is in the best interest for you and your DD to go somewhere safe, and quite frankly, it's not with him. I know it sounds harsh, but he sounds out of control of his emotions. That can lead to disastrous results.

He needs help. I hope he will accept it and allow you to support him. You need to look at his health and well being as secondary to your DD's though, and do what is best for her. Good luck to you. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I agree that he needs to get some help, and his reactions are a major red flag. Your base should have an MFLAC available that you could talk to immediately to figure out the best strategy for moving forward.
    Saving money while raising more kids than you bargained for! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

If he is having "flash backs" and had that type of reaction the other night, I don't suggest you be harsh or even too direct with him. Chances are he hates that he can't be near baby when she is upset and probably feels guilty. I am not in your shoes, but I suggest you LOVE on him. Give him a hug, kiss, hold his hand, look him in the eyes and tell him how much you love him and support him. How much you and LO love and need him (even if he is not helpful with baby). He probably knows what he's feeling is not normal; you need to also verbally acknowledge that it is not normal but that you will support him through this challenge. Allow him to take a break or have some "free time" w/o baby around to give him a break. See if he would do any type of counseling or "vets for vets" event or anything where he might be able to socialize with other vets.

You don?t want to push him away or make him feel even worse for the way he's feeling/reacting, so play it safe. Love him, encourage him to seek help/friendship, and support him through this. You will likely have to take on most of the parenting responsibilities until you and he both are ready, but it is a sacrifice that will improve your marriage/family forever. Work together to get through this; you don't want him to feel alone...he probably already does.

I will say a prayer for you all. You can get through this.

KEEP CALM and LATCH ON!

dee & bee
    mom & dad to 3 boys!
  • Options

Talk to your family readiness officer (or your branch's equivalent) or chaplain. They should be able to direct you to help him get the help he needs. Have you asked him if he would like to seek outside counseling? It is offered through military one source for free and he wouldn't have to let anyone know he was receiving it. Maybe get a babysitter for a night and have a heart to heart with him? I know the Marine Corps offers a FOCUS program that is for families, maybe you guys could do something like that together?

TTC Since Summer 2011
    BFP #1 11/5/11 EDD 7/22/12 MC 11/14/11
    PGAL/PAL Always Welcome
  • Options
    I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this.  It has to be a scary thing to deal with but there is help.  I agree that he needs to get some type of help and we know that is not an easy thing for anyone in the military.  You need to let him know that you love him and support him but he needs to talk to someone about his feelings towards your LO when she is loud or crying.  He may not want to see BH for this and there are other problems available.  I don't know what branch you are but there is a program called RESPECT-Mil and it was created to detect depression and/or PTSD.  If this program is available in your area suggest it to him.  He will not speak with anyone in BH it is a program that is sit up in the MTF and he will get referred to a care facilitator from his PCM.  Even if this program is not for him he needs to find a sounding board that works for him.  I wish you all the best.
    I can't wait to be a mommy! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I just thought of something else, if he has recorded PTSD he qualifies for programs through wounded warrior project. They have all kinds of fun retreats where they are around other veterans it doesn't at all feel like therapy but it really is. They can see that they are not alone, and there is not something wrong with them for the way they are feeling. Sometimes just feeling less alone is a huge help. They also just do retreats for fun, sometimes just for the military memeber, sometimes for the whole family. They also have caregiver retreats for you, so you can learn to cope with PTSD and how to live with someone who has it. I really hope he finds help, I am pretty convinved just talking to a counselor does not help these guys. Unfortunately this will be a lifelong battle for him, it may not ever go away, but it doesn't have to be debilitating or pull apart his family if you can both just learn ways of combating it. Best of luck to you!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"