Baby Names

Declyn

What would you say to someone who wanted this for a girl becayse the y makes it a girl name?
i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.

Re: Declyn

• Honestly, I've never heard the name before for a girl or a boy. It doesn't "read" one way or another to me.
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Ask them if Rychard is now a feminine girly name. 

• Loading the player...
  • I would say that using a y does not make a masculine name feminine. It's misspelled and used on the wrong gender and therefore looks ridiculous to me. If I read the name on a list I would still assume that the child was a boy.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageMelRC117:
    If they were ASKING for opinions I would say that the "y" doesn't make it anymore feminine, and it all sounds the same when said out loud.  If they weren't asking and just telling the name choice, I wouldn't say anything.  It will just look like they don't know how to spell.

All of this. I don't think it's a true unisex name, and I don't care for the spelling, but there are worse names out there, so I wouldn't volunteer an opinion unless I was very specifically asked.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I would say they had fallen under the common misconception that adding a "y" automatically turns a boy name into a girl one, when in reality it just makes you look like you can't spell.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Horrible. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • In person, I wouldn't say anything. I'm not brave enough. On here? Something like, "No! No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no!!!!" 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• imagejoyfullyfound:
    In person, I wouldn't say anything. I'm not brave enough. On here? Something like, "No! No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no!!!!" 

Ha! You know what I just realized? Our LO's were born on the same day! Wow, face palm...that only took about a year for me to realize.

• Tell her it looks like the brand name of an antibiotic or bc pill.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would probably just laugh at her. I'm an a$$hole.
  • No. It looks ridiculous and Declan is such a great boys name, why bother it?
  • Just be honest IF asked for your opinion.
  • imageJoy2611:
    I'd tell them that Declan is an Irish boy's name and it's rather disrespectful to both change the spelling and put it on a girl because she "thinks the Y is girly."  I'm side-eyeing this hardcore.

This. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm not sure why a female needs to have a "feminine, Girly" name. I really like that name for a girl with the original spelling. I think its a strong, nice name. She won't be 1 in 10 with the same name, and she can be super Girly with or without a Girly name.

Eta:,my phone keeps capitalizing Girly! Sorry!
  • imageHappy_Yahoo_Personaler:
    imageZimger:

I would say that using a y does not make a masculine name feminine. It's misspelled and used on the wrong gender and therefore looks ridiculous to me. If I read the name on a list I would still assume that the child was a boy.

I would also add that the random "y" trend makes the parents look illiterate.

All of this if asked. If I was not asked, I would not say anything but totally side-eye the name.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageCitrusSwallowtail:
    I'm not sure why a female needs to have a "feminine, Girly" name. I really like that name for a girl with the original spelling. I think its a strong, nice name. She won't be 1 in 10 with the same name, and she can be super Girly with or without a Girly name. Eta:,my phone keeps capitalizing Girly! Sorry!

I have to ask? where is it written that feminine == strong? In my opinion, the thinking that strength is a purely masculine trait is incredibly misguided. I'm proud to be a strong woman, and we'll raise any daughters we may have to be strong as well.

OP, personally I detest boy names on girls (primarily for the reason above). If asked for your opinion, I'd be honest but diplomatic- I love Declan on a boy, and Declyn on a girl is just horrible.

• I would say Declan is a boys name and giving it  a y does not make it a girls name.  
    I'm not sure why a female needs to have a "feminine, Girly" name. I really like that name for a girl with the original spelling. I think its a strong, nice name. She won't be 1 in 10 with the same name, and she can be super Girly with or without a Girly name. Eta:,my phone keeps capitalizing Girly! Sorry!

It doesn't need to be a frilly super girly name...just not a boys name. There are plenty of strong girl names out there. I don't see the need to use boy names on girls.

• Why am I not surprised that this name has popped up...
  • Trivia: Cyndi Lauper spelled her son's name this way, and although I dislike it, it is still a BOY name.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    I'm not sure why a female needs to have a "feminine, Girly" name. I really like that name for a girl with the original spelling. I think its a strong, nice name. She won't be 1 in 10 with the same name, and she can be super Girly with or without a Girly name.

It is a strong, nice name. For a boy. SMH.
    Birthday

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagejez_girl:

imageCitrusSwallowtail:
    I'm not sure why a female needs to have a "feminine, Girly" name. I really like that name for a girl with the original spelling. I think its a strong, nice name. She won't be 1 in 10 with the same name, and she can be super Girly with or without a Girly name.

I have to ask? where is it written that feminine == strong? In my opinion, the thinking that strength is a purely masculine trait is incredibly misguided. I'm proud to be a strong woman, and we'll raise any daughters we may have to be strong as well.

OP, personally I detest boy names on girls (primarily for the reason above). If asked for your opinion, I'd be honest but diplomatic- I love Declan on a boy, and Declyn on a girl is just horrible.

You're reading into my post and not at what I actually said . No one said girly names can't be strong as well. I have a girly name and also consider myself a strong woman. It's about the individual and their personality, not the name. That being said, I don't have a problem with what most deem a boys name, on a girl. I like them. But that's why we post on this board, for honest opinions which is great. I guess I was just surprised recently on how many people have responded with male/female name responses to people's posts. To each their own though, that's what make these boards real.
  • imagegisa886:
    What would you say to someone who wanted this for a girl becayse the y makes it a girl name?

"Are you effin' crazy??" Well, okay, I would think it, I wouldn't say it. But seriously, it's absolutely terrible. Declan is an Irish boy's name, but "Declyn" is a friggin' trainwreck. It makes me think of a prescription drug or maybe a clitoris.

Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • imageJoy2611:
    I'd tell them that Declan is an Irish boy's name and it's rather disrespectful to both change the spelling and put it on a girl because she "thinks the Y is girly."nbsp; I'm sideeyeing this hardcore.
    Pretty much this.
    SQUIRREL!!!

• imageMrsJ723:
    I would say they had fallen under the common misconception that adding a "y" automatically turns a boy name into a girl one, when in reality it just makes you look like you can't spell.

THIS. Also, I despise the name Declan and I think the way it's spelled makes it look like it should be pronounced differently. And Declyn just looks and sounds ugly. 

imagejez_girl:

imageCitrusSwallowtail:

You're reading into my post and not at what I actually said . No one said girly names can't be strong as well. I have a girly name and also consider myself a strong woman. It's about the individual and their personality, not the name. That being said, I don't have a problem with what most deem a boys name, on a girl. I like them. But that's why we post on this board, for honest opinions which is great. I guess I was just surprised recently on how many people have responded with male/female name responses to people's posts. To each their own though, that's what make these boards real.

That is not unusual for this board. It may not be something you agree with but I fail to see why you are surprised...

• You already know how I feel about this one. No. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
    imagejez_girl:

imageCitrusSwallowtail:

You said you don't know why a girl needs a feminine, "girly" name, as though feminine qualities are not to be desired. (By the way, there are plenty of strong girl names. No one was suggesting "Buttercup" or "Peaceblossom"- just not a historically male name.)

I get it- you like boy names on girls, and you have a right to your opinion. My opinion is that using a boy name for a girl disregards the name's history, reduces the likelihood that the name will stay an "acceptable" name for boys, and implies that girl names are somehow 'lesser than'. I'd also wonder if the parents wanted a boy instead of a girl.

I also like to be able to tell someone's sex by their name. I worked with a woman named Michael (she changed her name for whatever reason), and people from other branches assumed she was a man when they corresponded via email. I would hate to have my daughter go through that awkwardness and embarrassment.

You name your children how you see fit, and I'll name mine- but I reserve the right to side-eye poor little Declyn's parents.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"