Military Families

active duty moms

Two questions

One, when did you tell your command you were expecting? I'm not in the biggest hurry to tell them when 1. I dont have a formal profile to hand them. 2. we had a recent loss so I want to wait until the second trimester if at all possible

Two, when did you change over into your branch's maternity uniform?

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: active duty moms

• The navy rules state as soon as you find out so that is what I will be doing. I wont change uniforms until mine start looking tight> Mine are kind of big so as long as i look good in them i wont change

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• I told my unit at 6 weeks and they got me a profile. I know this is different because I'm Guard, but I would still tell them soon. I think by regulation you're supposed to tell them as soon as you know. I got some maternity pants around 12 weeks but still wear my regular top. My next step is going to be wearing DH's top since he's a size up from me.

CJ 05/29/2013

• Loading the player...
  • imageBacon+lettuce+tomato:
    I told my unit at 6 weeks and they got me a profile. I know this is different because I'm Guard, but I would still tell them soon. I think by regulation you're supposed to tell them as soon as you know. I got some maternity pants around 12 weeks but still wear my regular top. My next step is going to be wearing DH's top since he's a size up from me.

With  my first pregnancy i was told unless I had a profile in hand the unit wasnt going to recognize the pregnancy. I love being one of four females in this all male unit. Anyway, I know I am pregnant bc I have done blood test confirmation and U/S with my RE doctor. But the OB on my base has yet to call me to "inprocess" me. I wont have any of the documents my unit needs until I see the OB. I'm not in the hugest hurry to tell them about the pregnancy if they arent even going to acknoweldge it at this point.

Right now I am considering wearing DH pants (one size up from mine) until I actually show enough for those classy elastic pants.

• image*HiS ChAmAoLe GiRL*:

imageBacon+lettuce+tomato:
    I told my unit at 6 weeks and they got me a profile. I know this is different because I'm Guard, but I would still tell them soon. I think by regulation you're supposed to tell them as soon as you know. I got some maternity pants around 12 weeks but still wear my regular top. My next step is going to be wearing DH's top since he's a size up from me.

With  my first pregnancy i was told unless I had a profile in hand the unit wasnt going to recognize the pregnancy. I love being one of four females in this all male unit. Anyway, I know I am pregnant bc I have done blood test confirmation and U/S with my RE doctor. But the OB on my base has yet to call me to "inprocess" me. I wont have any of the documents my unit needs until I see the OB. I'm not in the hugest hurry to tell them about the pregnancy if they arent even going to acknoweldge it at this point.

Right now I am considering wearing DH pants (one size up from mine) until I actually show enough for those classy elastic pants.

Yeah, see, my unit has medics so I gave them the note from my OB with my EDD and they wrote a profile for me. *shrug*

DH's pants were too big. The pants are so much more comfortable. My top is just to the point where it is too snug.

CJ 05/29/2013

• I'm not AD anymore, but I was when I had DS. 

I told my supervisor right away.  I got a profile within a couple days.  The only people who knew were my supervisor, commander, and PTL until I was ready to go public. 

I needed maternity uniforms around 20 weeks. 

ETA: My MTF had walk in pregnancy tests at the lab.  Once you tested positive there, the paperwork started rolling.  Public Health was automatically notified, and they were the ones who initiated my profile.  Can you call the lab and find out if they do that where you are?

Hilary
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had labs done last week and an u/s yesterday to date my pregnancy. But in order for me to get a referral to OB I need them to call me. I was told the call should come this week but because of the four day it may be later. I miss being on an actual base with active duty units and having medics.

• I knew I was pregnant at 4 1/2 weeks and got a profile immediately.  The PT we do is stuff I'm not supposed to do while pregnant, and I often get last-minute calls to go to a range, field exercise, month-long off-site training events, etc.  I figured it would be better to get the profile immediately.  

I'm Army and in a deployable unit and from what I've seen and experienced, they do the profile very quickly so everyone knows you're not deployable and can't do any crazy stuff.

I emailed the profile to my supervisors as soon as I got it and told them what was going on in person.  I did tell specifically tell them I wasn't telling anyone until after 12 weeks and they were good about not telling anyone.  When I announced all my coworkers were surprised.

I think when you get a profile really depends on what you do that could affect your pregnancy, and the likelihood of rapid deployment in your unit.  For me, it was necessary to get one immediately. 

For the maternity uniforms - I don't know.  I always wear slightly baggy pants anyway so I have several inches to go yet around the waist.  I've been told I'll need to get my CO CDR to sign a memo to take to CIF to get two sets issued to me.  Most of the other women I've worked with who were pregnant just kept wearing bigger regular uniforms until the end of the 2nd trimester just because they tend to look more professional.  I'm trying to do the same.

• I told them the day I found out. 

I didn't switch into maternity uniforms until I couldn't zip my pants (approximately 22 weeks). 

• I am in the Air Force and they highly encourage you to notify them as soon as you find out. Mobility reasons require notification. But, PT can affect your pregnancy. I am only 5 weeks along and I had to notify them fast so that they could schedule an ultrasound. Being on an Army installation, they immediately put you on a profile for your unborn child's safety. 

I am waiting for my Commander to authorize Finance to give me maternity allowance so that I can purchase them. In the meantime, I bought a new uniform a size larger.  

• I had to fill out a sick call slip in order to go to the flight surgeon so my command knew as soon as I went to confirm my pregnancy.

ETA: They don't issue profiles until you see the OB which isn't until 10 weeks however the command wouldn't let me do anything anyway because they had paperwork verifying I was pregnant. 

imageimageimageimage

• Congrats on your pregnancy!

I waited until I had a profile to tell my CC. Due to previous losses I just told my CC that I wasn't interested in sharing the news with anyone else until I felt comfortable. My CC respected that, and I only recently announced after my anatomy scan. I started wearing maternity pants (w/ regular ABU top) at about 16 weeks. Before I switched over to maternity pants I was able to unbutton my top two buttons without anyone noticing. (I'm Air Force, so not sure if the rules are any different)

BabyFetus Ticker
    Journey Thru the Rain

TTC Since Nov 2011
    BFP: 11/24/11 EDD: 8/2/12 MMC:12/19/11 D&C: 1/10/12

BFP: 2/18/12 EDD: 11/2/12 Chemical Pregnancy
    BFP: 10/23/12 Saw heartbeat: @8wks&10Wks / Heard HB: @15wks EDD: 7/2/13 *Stick Baby Stick*
  • You should really tell them as soon as possible.  Goodness forbid a contingency kicks off and you get deployed without much warning; this just happened at my base -- we sent folks to Mali within 24 hours.  Or suppose you are asked to do something physically counter-indicated to pregnancy. The best thing you can do is get it confirmed immediately with your MTF and have them place you on a profile. It's for your own protection and that of your baby.

As for your second question, everyone is different.  I think maybe at five or six months for me. 

• imageEpedregon23:

I am in the Air Force and they highly encourage you to notify them as soon as you find out. Mobility reasons require notification. But, PT can affect your pregnancy. I am only 5 weeks along and I had to notify them fast so that they could schedule an ultrasound. Being on an Army installation, they immediately put you on a profile for your unborn child's safety. 

I am waiting for my Commander to authorize Finance to give me maternity allowance so that I can purchase them. In the meantime, I bought a new uniform a size larger.  

The unit I am in with the job I have I will not ever deploy so letting them know for mobility reasons isnt an issue. Tomorrow I have my appt to inprocess OB here on base so I am hoping they will give me some sort of documentation to give my unit. Even when they did the u/s and confirmed pregnancy through a blood test a week prior, nothing was issued to me to change my regular duties. And bc my base doesnt have a lot of active duty there is no pregnancy PT so i will continue to work out daily with my soldiers. I'm hoping tomorrow will help bring some changes to what is expected of me.

• The day after I found out I was pregnant, I had to attend a 4 hour OB Brief about birthing overseas (Germany) so I had to tell my supervisor that day.  No other way to explain a 4 hour appointment.

If your job isn't physically intense, and you don't have any appointments that will make you miss work... you could hold off until the 2nd tri.  However you will need to tell them as soon as you have a profile, of course!

I switched uniforms about 18 weeks.  However, at about 12 I was not buttoning all of my buttons.

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"