Food Allergy

2 year old just diagnosed with mild milk allergy

My 2 year old daughter has been getting a monthly fever since July. There have never been any other symptoms until this month. She was diagnosed with tonsilitis today, She was also diagnosed with a mild milk and gluten allergy. The doctor thinks that the milk is causing reflux causing the tonsilitis. I've removed milk from her diet, but she is a fussy eater and I'm at a loss as to what I am going to feed her now. Any advice or suggestions?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 2 year old just diagnosed with mild milk allergy

• Huh, this sounds like a bit of a stretch to me, but I don't have an md!  My DS had a pretty solid milk allergy that's become much milder as he's grown older.  Still, his only reaction at this point, *might* be some external hives.  Is the theory that bacteria from her stomach is refluxing up the throat somehow causing tonsillitis and in turn the fevers?  That's just the part I'm confused about.  The monthly fevers would bother me MUCH more.  Has the pedi done a cbc panel on her to check for other infections?  If it's really an allergy, I'd head to a pediatric allergist, but more quickly, I think I'd get a second opinion from another pedi.  Not to say it can't happen, but this just is not a typical milk allergy response, at all.  Best to your DD and you.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They've run numerous blood tests during all these fevers and the only thing that comes back is a mild milk allergy. 
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelogoz80:
    They've run numerous blood tests during all these fevers and the only thing that comes back is a mild milk allergy. 

Glad that's all that's popped up.  I'd definitely consult with an allergist in that case.  It's just very atypical for a milk allergy.  All the best to you!

• And sorry, I guess I could have been more helpful on the food ideas.  Baked milk is generally better-tolerated in kids that can have small amounts of milk.  This would mean in baked goods like muffins and such.  My DS also loves soy yogurt.  I think that Stonyfield makes the best - 6 pack with strawberry/peach. That's always a win for us.  He's eaten soy cheese but it's not my favorite.  For a treat, there's a brand of ice cream that's made with coconut milk that's pretty yummy.  (The brand escapes me but most groceries carry it.)

• My biggest problem is that Emma is so picky. I tried whole grain mac & cheese, she took 1 bite and spit it out because she tasted the difference, lol
  • Amy's makes a delicious frozen dairy free mac and cheese! 

Our LO also likes grilled cheese made with tofutti slices. The tofutti ice creams are pretty tasty too.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks all, I'm just frustrated with this whole situation. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"