September 2012 Moms
Options

20 weeks and still congested???

My LO has had nasal congestion for pretty much all of his life so far ... i've talked to two family doctors and one pediatrician and they've all said it's quite normal.  our winter is quite cold up here and the air is dry, but we're indoors most of the time and the temperature indoors is always a nice room temp. I run our humidifier 24/7 and use a gentle saline spray on him -- neither seems to be helping that much.  he hates sleeping on his crib wedge (i can't blame him - it's a hard foam wedge), so i can't keep him elevated when he's sleeping.

Is anyone else experiencing this with their little ones?  I've googled to death and am just trying to get a sense of how common/normal this is.  I'm sure he's not sick - perhaps allergies?  but to what?  he doesn't have other symptoms of food allergies (like diarrhea, etc.) or other symptoms of airborne-like allergies (like watery eyes, sneezing, etc.) -- just the congestion. 

am frustrated b/c i think it's contributing to his night wakings and worried that i'm missing something that's affecting his health.  any advice would be much appreciated!

Re: 20 weeks and still congested???

• Options

Because our LO's were born right at the start of fall, it's pretty normal that they would seem to have a cold/congestion since birth.  Reid is sick yet again, with a runny nose, coughing, eye gook... it's sad.  And it's completely normal.

Just keep the humidifier on and keep up with the saline drops, etc.  Unfortunately it's just the way it is this time of year.  It will get better.

Now bring on spring! 

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• Options
    Have you tried using a nose frieda or similar snot sucker? Grace I think has a cold right now and it helps to clear her nose at least for a while.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My LO is congested on and off, but I think a lot has to do with the heater running. Even though you have a humidifier running it still can dry out your sinus, thus making more snot. This also happens to me and my two stepsons, we are stuffy almost all winter and as soon as it warms up and we can open the windows it goes away. Maybe your little one is just more sensitive? (Just a guess obviously not fact)
  • Options

image604girl:

he hates sleeping on his crib wedge (i can't blame him - it's a hard foam wedge), so i can't keep him elevated when he's sleeping.

correct me if I am wrong but I thought the wedge went under the mattress, try that and see if it helps. 

Orginal September 2012 Mom
    #1 Alice born 9/12 born after 2 1/2 years on infertility
    #2 Loss 12/15
    Ttc #3

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    thanks for the replies!!  i'm relieved that this seems quite normal for this time of the year and i'm not alone.  poor little ones just seem to have such a hard time when their noses get plugged up.  i have tried using the suction thingy (hydrasense brand) and it seems to get some of the mucus out, but i've also read that sticking those aspirators up their noses can actually lead to more congestion coz' you're irritating their little nasal passages.  and re: the crib wedge, i thought i had read that it goes under the sheets -- but either way -- i'm co-sleeping with my little one so i don't have the option to elevate my king size mattress - lol.  thanks for all the suggestions!  will just pray that spring comes sooner rather than later!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"