Dads & Dads-to-be

5 Thing Thursday

OK, for all of our new dads on the board, this is pretty simple.  I ask a couple questions, you answer.  Then the other spots, you just add something that is going on in your life recently, baby related or not.  A weekly thing just to try to get conversation going.

1) It is Valentine's Day today... doing anything special for your wife/fiancee/girlfriend/baby mama?

2) Pitchers and catchers reported to spring training... baseball fan?  Team?  Outlook for the season?

3 -5 are up to you guys.

Re: 5 Thing Thursday

• 1) It is Valentine's Day today... doing anything special for your wife/fiancee/girlfriend/baby mama?

When my wife lost her job, I was specifically instructed NOT to do anything special.  I made a home made card and bought a very small box of chocolates.  I usually get off pretty light, as she isn't a fan of flowers.

2) Pitchers and catchers reported to spring training... baseball fan?  Team?  Outlook for the season?

Yes, but less so now than I used to be.  Chicago Cubs fan here, part of the decreased interest is the lack of games on WGN... used to be so easy to follow them, now they've made it much more difficult.  As far as outlook for the season... can't get much worse than last year, can only figure it'll get better, hopefully cut the losses from 101 to somewhere above 90.  Still no legit shot at a division title and the 2nd wild card is still more or less a fantasy as well.

3) My son is definitely having a vocal explosion.  The other day he told us "I don't want any more", will tell us "Not right now" if we ask him if he wants to do something.  He is starting to really communicate beyond a simple word.  It is pretty cool.

4) He is digging having my wife home, so he gets the rarity of getting to go places with the both of us on Wednesdays and Thursdays.  He got to go to the zoo yesterday with the both of us, and the Children's Museum the week before.  He loves the museum, they have a gecko exhibit which he's all about right now, LOVES the 18 ft movie prop Bumblebee (calls him by name) and just running around playing.

5) The Indiana basketball team is doing pretty well... 2 of the 3 losses were on last second shots.

• 1) Opened cards early this morning in between feeding/changing the boy. We will be meeting at Bakers Square after work for dinner....valentine's day couponParty!!!

2) I get tweet updates from Brewers camp all day long at work..  Hard to get a read on this team.  Scoring runs is not the problem, the bullpen is.  If they corrected the bullpen issues they should be a very competitive team. WIll it take 90+ wins to win the NL Central???  Hard to say. Cincy is still the team to beat, but I still think they over performed last season. This will be the first year in ten years I will not have season tickets, so I will have to adjust some to that. But I am kind of excited about grilling out every night before settling in to watch my boys with my little guy. I love baseball!!!Beer

3) Getting to that point where winter is starting to wear on my last nerve.  Milwaukee in February is like a bad dream, or the movie Groundhog Day.  It just gets real tough around now, and I cannot wait for spring to get here.

4) Jake's California grandma is coming into town Friday night, so that will be fun to see them interact.  She has not seen him in person since he was 3 months, so she is in for a real shocker.

5) I still hate the NBA product.  Just horrible!!!

• Loading the player...
  • 1)  My wife hates Valentine's Day so I have never had to do anything special.  I know what you're thinking, "she only claims she hates it, but she still wants you to give her something ."  Nope, she outright despises everything about today and I am in agreement with her.

2)  Although I was completely ruined emotionally by their 2nd straight piss-poor performance in the World Series, my Tigers still have a stacked team that is actually improving this year with Torii Hunter and Victor Martinez returning from surgery last year.  Once again, I have almost unreasonable expectations and anything less than a World Series victory, in my opinion, will be a major let down.

3) I read a report that said since 10/31/12, there have only been 10 sunny days in the Metro Detroit area, and the first one of 2013 was yesterday.  This winter is killing my soul.

4. I just want to get out of the first trimester.  My wife has been miserable with extreme nausea.  It's too early to build a baby registry and do any significant shopping.  And we are in this 2 week waiting period before her next doctors appointment and ultrasound.   Getting restless.

5)  I started P90X again last night.  Woke up and couldn't lift my arms to wash my hair this morning. Only 89 days to go! 

• imageladyjenna13:

3) Getting to that point where winter is starting to wear on my last nerve.  Milwaukee in February is like a bad dream, or the movie Groundhog Day.  It just gets real tough around now, and I cannot wait for spring to get here.

Trust me, I know how you feel.  February is always the worst month for snow and miserable days.  And lucky for me, my birthday falls in this month so traditionally no one will show up to the party because no one wants to drive in a foot of snow.

• 1) It is Valentine's Day today... doing anything special for your wife/fiancee/girlfriend/baby mama?

Got up early and made her breakfast this morning.  Steak and eggs.  Taking her out for Italian tonight.

The Reds are looking good again this year.  I expect another division win and I'm hoping to actually win a playoff series.

3) My friend and his girlfriend have moved out and the work has begun to get the nursery together.  I've started moving everything to its new home.

4) My group at work has been understaffed for about a year.  We've now lost 2 more people within a month and are under a hiring freeze.  Things could get interesting soon.

5) I've strangely found a little free time for myself lately.  I was actually able to play some games again.  Had fun playing Borderlands 2 with a buddy last night.

• imageladyjenna13:

2) I get tweet updates from Brewers camp all day long at work..  Hard to get a read on this team.  Scoring runs is not the problem, the bullpen is.  If they corrected the bullpen issues they should be a very competitive team. WIll it take 90+ wins to win the NL Central???  Hard to say. Cincy is still the team to beat, but I still think they over performed last season. This will be the first year in ten years I will not have season tickets, so I will have to adjust some to that. But I am kind of excited about grilling out every night before settling in to watch my boys with my little guy. I love baseball!!!Beer

As a Reds fan I agree that we over-performed last year.  Most of that had to do with no starting pitchers missing a start in the regular season.  Everybody stayed healthy.  However, this team is better this year with the addition of Shin Soo Choo and (maybe more importantly) getting rid of Drew Stubbs.  Pitching should still be good this year.  We are still the team to beat.  No one in the NL Central is going to win as many games this year thanks to the Astros leaving.

• imagePrime:
    imageladyjenna13:

As a Reds fan I agree that we over-performed last year.  Most of that had to do with no starting pitchers missing a start in the regular season.  Everybody stayed healthy.  However, this team is better this year with the addition of Shin Soo Choo and (maybe more importantly) getting rid of Drew Stubbs.  Pitching should still be good this year.  We are still the team to beat.  No one in the NL Central is going to win as many games this year thanks to the Astros leaving.

I was in Cincy last summer visiting relatives and we saw a wonderful game at Great American Ball Park between the Reds and Tigers.  They are a fantastic team and I wish it would have been them to face the Tigers in the World Series. 

• imagefutant462:
    imagePrime:
    imageladyjenna13:

I was in Cincy last summer visiting relatives and we saw a wonderful game at Great American Ball Park between the Reds and Tigers.  They are a fantastic team and I wish it would have been them to face the Tigers in the World Series. 

I also wish the Reds had been the ones to beat the Tigers in the World Series. haha.

I'm excited for baseball to start.  I have my mlb.tv package ready to go again. I wish I could get back to the midwest for a Reds game, but it is not going to happen.

• 1) Got her a prenatal massage gift certificate and three cards -- one from me, one from the dogs, one from the son-to-be.

2) It will be a miracle if the O's can repeat last year's playoff run. They did very little in the offseason -- to the surprise of the beat writers -- so it's the same guys who got it done last year, but like six different relievers had career years and we rotated in so many starting pitchers due to injury/underperformance that I couldn't keep track of them all. Oh, and the Yankess, Red Sox, Rays and Jays all got better! Still can't help but be excited. At minimum, it's great that Buck Showalter hasn't lost his edge... and it looks like Manny Machado is the real deal. As for the Pirates... when do pitchers and catchers report for 2014 again?

3) Finishing my last class in grad school... then the thesis and that's it. It has been brutal doing two classes per semester and working f/t but I guess it was the right call since I'm just barely going to be done before the kid arrives.

4) Pretty pissed at Maker's Mark for reducing alcohol content by 3 percent (see https://consumerist.com/2013/02/11/makers-mark-dropping-potency-of-its-bourbon-by-3-due-to-demanding-customers/) -- it's my favorite bourbon... I'll probably switch over to WL Weller for a while to save some dough. Anyone have a favorite?

5) Painting the nursery this weekend. Beach House Blue, I'm told.

• imageJTODrinky:

2) It will be a miracle if the O's can repeat last year's playoff run. They did very little in the offseason -- to the surprise of the beat writers -- so it's the same guys who got it done last year

I remember watching the O's smack the Red Sox around that final game two seasons ago.  That was AWESOME to watch.

JJ Hardy......I will leave my opinion on him to myself.

• 1) Ever since I've had to pay for a car I don't want (long story), I've been a little strapped for cash, so we said no gifts. But, I did buy her a small vase with 3 roses in it. 1 for me, her, and the baby. I also bought a simple card and wrote a note in it. It basically said something to the effect of "you saved me when I was lost, so there's no words that can adequately express how much I love you". She cried. But, it's super easy for that now that she's pregnant.

2) I still love my Red Sox, even though I've been disgusted with them the past 2 years. I honestly thought Adrian Gonzalez was going to be a perfect fit, but it never happened. Lately, they've been replaced by the Patriots and Bruins.

3) I worked 60 hours over the weekend because of the blizzard that hit the northeast. I work for a power utility, so I'm always one of the first ones out there when the lights go out. Now, I'm just exhausted.

4) Plus side from all that work? I will finally have a bunch of extra money in my account. One more thing to cross off the "stresses" list.

5) My wife has decided, and I agree, that no matter the sex of our baby, it's going to play hockey. This means that I have to learn how to skate, since I've skated only twice in my life. I want to be able to be out there on the ice with my kid. I WILL do this. I figure if I can get myself to lose 100+ pounds in a year, I can get myself to learn how to skate.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Card and flowers for muma. Pizza and beer for me. Some lovin time followed by a relaxing evening..

To hell with Baseball, race season kicks off this weekend at Daytona.

A busy Saturday on tap followed by a relaxing Sunday.

Wonder just how much the scale is going to say when we go for a baby check up on Monday. I Don't understand why I'm the one gaining weight when she's the one pregnant and has barely gained anything in four months.
  • imageladyjenna13:

1) Opened cards early this morning in between feeding/changing the boy. We will be meeting at Bakers Square after work for dinner....valentine's day couponParty!!!

Baker's Square the amazing pie place?  Yes Please!!  That's one lucky lady you've got. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had french silk and she had oreo cream.

• 1) No, we don't celebrate Valentine's day a bunch.  Neither of us likes crowded places so we don't go out to eat to a major place.

2) Nope, the Tribe will peak about early June then have a fire sale like they do most years.  My friends in the Columbus and Cinci area will have a better chance with the Reds.

3) LO is getting more vocal and more active.  

4) Federal and State taxes are done for this year, we will owe a bunch with City though.

5) Will be helping my parents get into shape for their trip out West this summer.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageladyjenna13:
    I had french silk and she had oreo cream.

Now you're just being mean LOL   I LOVE their french silk and oreo cream sounds heavenly.  Coltsdad and I enjoy Bakers Square but we have to drive the 2-3 hours up north to Chicago area to get to it.  Whenever we head up to Chicago for a day trip we take a cooler to bring back French Silk pies for his parents.  Pie.... drool. You can tell I'm having a baby in a couple days..... now all I can think about is pie.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"