Baby Showers
Options

Work baby shower

I am throwing a potluck in honor of a coworker expecting baby #2.

I plan on getting a cake and everyone is bringing a dish. Our department has about 30 people in it. Half of the staff are physicians( I work in a clinic) the guest of honor is a physician herself and told me she doesn't really need any baby gifts. My question is do you think it's okay to ssends card around to everyone with a note asking if anyone wants to pitch in for a gift card? We only have an hour for lunch so I was only going to have a few decorations and there's not really enough time for opening gifts or playing games, I thought a gift card from everyone would be nice,but I'm not sure if it's tacky to ask everyone to pitch in.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Work baby shower

• Options

I'm torn on this one. I don't think it's right to ask everyone to pitch in (particularly not a certain amount) but I think it's okay to mention to your colleagues that you want to do this and, if they want to chip in, they may. Then, whoever chips in can sign the card that accompanies the gift card. If other people want to give something on their own or not at all, it is up to them.

The staff fund at my school gives gift cards or gift baskets for births, deaths, graduations, etc. from the whole staff. We only ever collect money (and/or food items) when there has been a death or major tragedy that involves a staff member. 

Happily married to my Snorkelbutt - 07/31/10

BFP #1 09/02/11  M/C 09/12/11 8w6days
    BFP #2 07/18/12 Baby S born on his EDD 03/23/13

SS - age 12...SD - age 8...DS - 13 mos.
  • Options
    How about pass a congratulations card to everyone to sign, and make it known that a gift card will be purchased and anyone who wants to is willing to contribute. Make sure the person collecting the money for the gift card is not the same person passing the card around to avoid any awkwardness. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Every work baby shower I've been to has basically done this - ask people to contribute towards a giftcard/ large gift.

As far as sending it around w/ the card - eh, I can go either way.  If there is an envelope w/ the card, people can easily slip money in there if they so choose.  But it could also be seen as pressure "if you're signing, you have to give $$".

But I wouldn't think twice to get a card w/ an envelope to collect cash. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    I think it's fine to let coworkers know that you are going to purchase her a gift card and that they may want to pitch in on a gift (obviously, you'd do this in a non-pressuring way), then have a card that contributors can sign. We do this with regularity at my office. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I would email everyone and let them know you're thinking about picking up a group gift and if anyone wants to contribute, to let you know how much they'd like to chip in and drop the money off with you.

I'd pass around the card separately  so people don't feel pressured to contribute money if they're not comfortable.

Since the guest of honor is one of the docs and essentially a "boss" I think it would be a little weird to give a gift card or cash....I would take the money collected and put together a basket of expendable items (wipes, diaper cream, baby wash, etc.) and make it look cute...it won't take much time to open and it's easy to scale it up or down depending on how much money is contributed. 

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I guess just let them decide what to give to the expecting Mom. If they'll be getting one, then that's better! If they'll stick with gift card, good as well. If they won't give any, at least their presence are there to support and let the Mom knows how happy they are for her and how excited they are for the baby.
    Soon... My Blog: DressandBaby
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"