Pre-School and Daycare
Options

YMCA Swim? Perch, Kipper, Inia, etc.

DD took swim with me through our rec dept. just for fun, when she was 2. I'd like to sign her up again for spring, and now that she's 4 I might want to start her in swim where she would likely continue through the same series. Anyone do YMCA swim? What's it like? Are you happy with it? Choices here are YMCA program vs. rec dept. I would continue with rec dept except that the pool they use at the junior high is SOOO cold. Maybe the Y would be nicer??

We have a cottage on a lake so I am extra concerned with water safety. We are always talking about never going in the water without a grown-up, not even a tiny bit. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: YMCA Swim? Perch, Kipper, Inia, etc.

• Options
    I live in the Boston area.  Our Y offers great swimming lessons.  No sitting on the wall for my kids.  The older two started out in Pike and now they are joining the swim 'club' through the Y.   The club is a step down from the team and meets fewer times a week.  I have noticed when this comes up that a couple of people are always very vocal about how awful the Y swim program was for their children.  I guess it is dependent on the Y, but we have had great success.  
    Smiley: April '05 Rocky: May '06 Tex: July '09
  • Options
    We are really happy with our Y's program.  DS1 is in pike+parent this session because he was nervous to not have me there.  I stopped getting in the pool with him after the 2nd class or so.  He will be in pike next.  

I did the Y program growing up.  They teach safety and you can go on and to be on a team.  I ended up a different route and did synchronized swimming for years after and was in the junior Olympics a few years.  So I vouch for them personally giving me the the a good foundation.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    also  Inia is just playing.  I would skip that if she has been exposed to swimming

• Options
    DD has been doing Y swimming lessons for a little over a year now and we like it so far. She started in pike plus and now she's in Ray. I did notice that pike plus and pike are a lot more play/following directions and less instruction. When she was in Eel and Ray, there's definitely a lot more teaching; also there are fewer kids, so more attention to each kid. We have a pool, so DH did a lot with her over the last summer as well. I'm not sure if she'll stay in the program for the long run, but for now we do like it.
  • Options
    We tried the Y once for swim lessons and they were horrible.  Yes, the water was warm as they use a different pool for swim lessons at the Y near us but the teacher was horrible.  Do you know if your area has any private swim schools.  We have one here in our area and while the cost is a lot more than the Y, it is worth every single penny.  Class size is small, the teachers are very well trained and the place is just amazing.  Everyone I know has their kids take lessons there and my BIL actually took their adult class so he could learn to swim as well.  I know that some of the work out clubs here also offer swim lessons and some actually hire out the teachers from the private swim school for those lessons through some type of contract thing. 
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options
    I didn't pay attention to who posted this.  I know what Y you would go to:)  We go there for the boys lessons.  

On monday they have pike+parent at 9:30 where you stop being in the pool after a few weeks.  That instructor is great IMO.  DS2 & I did two sessions in a row with her doing the perch.  At 4 I would try the pike + parent as opposed to perch since she might be old in the group if you did perch.  They use a bubble (you don't have to) and help them with learning stokes as well as safety. Perch is a lot of play with safety and learning how to stroke as opposed to just learning.   

DS2 is doing a Saturday pike+parent next session because he can already use his arms and legs to swim.  DS1 did that last session and we really like her too.  There are two kids in his class that clung to their parents the first 2 classes and she has them doing so well now. 

Both pools are warm and the little pool has a zero depth area to play in too.  On Saturdays the equipment is on so you can play after:)  I don't like the rec programs because the pools are so cool for the swim teams.  

• Options

imageBrewtowngrl:
    I didn't pay attention to who posted this.  I know what Y you would go to:)  We go there for the boys lessons.  

On monday they have pike+parent at 9:30 where you stop being in the pool after a few weeks.  That instructor is great IMO.  DS2 & I did two sessions in a row with her doing the perch.  At 4 I would try the pike + parent as opposed to perch since she might be old in the group if you did perch.  They use a bubble (you don't have to) and help them with learning stokes as well as safety. Perch is a lot of play with safety and learning how to stroke as opposed to just learning.   

DS2 is doing a Saturday pike+parent next session because he can already use his arms and legs to swim.  DS1 did that last session and we really like her too.  There are two kids in his class that clung to their parents the first 2 classes and she has them doing so well now. 

Both pools are warm and the little pool has a zero depth area to play in too.  On Saturdays the equipment is on so you can play after:)  I don't like the rec programs because the pools are so cool for the swim teams.  

Small world. I replied to this post on the working moms board. I've probably seen you at the Y and didn't even realize it. We do Monday night lessons now, but we did Saturday morning during the fall sessions.

Perch is just for kids 2-3 years. At 4 yo, she'd probably be fine in Pike. She's used to being on her own in preschool anyway, right? We've been through many of the instructors over the last 3 years, and they've all been good. There has been a max of 6 kids in the class at the preschool level. DD1 learned a lot more than just how to "sit on the wall."

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options
    imageAngela814:

imageBrewtowngrl:

Small world. I replied to this post on the working moms board. I've probably seen you at the Y and didn't even realize it. We do Monday night lessons now, but we did Saturday morning during the fall sessions.

Perch is just for kids 2-3 years. At 4 yo, she'd probably be fine in Pike. She's used to being on her own in preschool anyway, right? We've been through many of the instructors over the last 3 years, and they've all been good. There has been a max of 6 kids in the class at the preschool level. DD1 learned a lot more than just how to "sit on the wall."

small world indeed.  I am there almost every day.  I do Aqua Zumba on Sundays and work out the other days.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"