December 2013 Moms
Options

Help a Dr. Who newb out

So I like Sci Fi in general. I've heard good things about Dr. Who. My dad used to watch it waaaay back when I was little.

Where the hell does one start watching it? The one time I tried I was completely confused. I don't know which series it was or what, but it made zero sense whatsoever.

What's a legit starting point for the uninitiated?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
-My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.

Re: Help a Dr. Who newb out

• Options
    Do you have Netflix?  The old and new series is there.  Start with the 9th doctor.  The new series began in 2005 with the first episode titled Rose.  It takes a good 3 or 4 episodes to start to really like it.  

• Options

imageMrs.adambabycakes:
    Do you have Netflix?  The old and new series is there.  Start with the 9th doctor.  The new series began in 2005 with the first episode titled Rose.  It takes a good 3 or 4 episodes to start to really like it.  

Ok, 9th Doctor. That is helpful information.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    As much as I despise Rose and the 9th Doctor you do need to start there to have any of the most awesome 10th Doctor (ah, David Tennant...) and beyond make sense.  Just watch the 9th Doctor knowing that it gets so much better soon.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    The 9th Doctor takes a little warming up too, bascially you fall in love with Rose warm up to the Doctor around the Empty Child episode and then fall totally in love once the 10th Doctor rolls around.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageMrs.adambabycakes:

This. I also enjoyed the 9th Dr. I know a lot of people don't but he just has a darker side.

• Options

CG is the resident expert in all things Dr. Who. But yea, start with New Who on Netflix, with the 9th Doctor. I think Rose is the first episode title.

Seriously, stick with it at least until David Tennant's second episode. The first few episodes you will seriously question the ridiculous amount of cheese, but it gets so, so good. I hated the 9th Doctor until a few episodes into the 10th, but now I love them both. 

• Options

imageCaterinaC:
    I am a Doctor Whi newbie as well. Is watching the older series worth it? Or do you need to fall in love with the newer version to appreciate the older series?

We watch a lot of the old serials ... They are campy, but fun. Tom Baker (the Fourth Doctor) is a great character, and a lot of his episodes are really neat. The old shows are completely different from the new ones, which are much darker. But you get to learn a lot about some of the villains that are still around, such as the Daleks and the Cybermen. Worth watching in my opinion.

As far as the new series goes, I think the early ones with Christopher Eccelston are amazing, and he's a really great Doctor. David Tennant really brought the new series to life, but I think Eccelston was great to watch, and I was sad to see him go. 

photo AlbumsWideColorBump_zps1797df63.jpg

We lost our first (EDD 07/23/12) after finding out at 12 weeks there was no longer a heartbeat. Our rainbow was born 05/22/13 and was worth all we went through.

“So can you understand? Why I want a daughter while I’m still young? I wanna hold her hand and show her some beauty before all this damage is done. But if it’s too much to ask, it’s too much to ask … Then send me a son.” – Arcade Fire
  • Options

I for sure say start with the 9th, 10th, and 11th (the "new series" that started in 2005) 

Netflix is very NOT organized for the older series. :/ 

Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
  • Options
    imageKacyChicago:

imageCaterinaC:
    I am a Doctor Whi newbie as well. Is watching the older series worth it? Or do you need to fall in love with the newer version to appreciate the older series?

We watch a lot of the old serials ... They are campy, but fun. Tom Baker (the Fourth Doctor) is a great character, and a lot of his episodes are really neat. The old shows are completely different from the new ones, which are much darker. But you get to learn a lot about some of the villains that are still around, such as the Daleks and the Cybermen. Worth watching in my opinion.

As far as the new series goes, I think the early ones with Christopher Eccelston are amazing, and he's a really great Doctor. David Tennant really brought the new series to life, but I think Eccelston was great to watch, and I was sad to see him go. 

ALL of this!

image Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"