New York Babies

Possibly moving to New York

Hello,

We just found out that hubby may be transferred to NYC. We have one 11 month old daughter and trying for #2. Can anyone recommend middle class family friendly towns not too far from the city? We would like a house with a small yard for the kid(s) and dogs. We're doing our research now and it's a bit overwhelming. Thank you! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Possibly moving to New York

• Hi ! Well , as a lifetime New Yorker and Brooklyn girl I say welcome almost ! can you be convinced to live in city Brooklyn, Queens beautiful neighborhoods and alot of professionals flocking to these outer boroughs, If not , lynbrook is beautiful. Close commute to city. It's in Nassau county right outside queens. Good luck !
  • Look in Jersey City NJ. Is only 7 minutes from downtown Manhattan and the Path train can take your husband midtown in a matter of minutes. You can find a 2 bedroom apartment between 2500-3000 very close to the water and the path. Save, Tons of parks, restaurant and young couples/kids. I live here for the past 3 years and really like it.
  • Loading the player...
  • There are tons of options available, depending on what you determine your needs are.  Just a few places I know of where you can have a yard are Westchester, upper Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, NJ, Staten Island and Long Island.  It may make sense to use your husband's workplace destination as a starting point, then tracing all the transit routes.  (I.e. if he's uptown by Columbia he may find it difficult to commute in from Brooklyn or Long Island.)  Don't forget the ferries too.

Sites we used to research our move were streeteasy.com, greatschools.org and craigslist for rentals/sales outside of the city.  Good luck!

• I live in Brooklyn, and I say move to NJ. There really aren't affordable homes to buy here. You can rent, but that gets crazy too. Try central or northern NJ, the commute is a little more $$ but you get more for your money out there. I'd move if we had money for a down payment. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have lived in nyc all my life and one thing I may say is we dont really have family friendly towns that are within close proximity to the city(imho).I think your best bet is to try Queens,Brooklyn(some parts),long island,yonkers,new rochelle,white plains and new jersey.I thin some of those are your best bet.
    Nicole and Roy Parents of Nhari 7/10/04 and Aicha 7/11/05 Due Date baby #3: August 22,2013 Pregnancy Ticker
  • I live in the Fleetwood neighborhood of Mount Vernon (in Westchester County). My commute on the Metro North is around 25-35 minutes, depending on which train that I catch. It is MUCH cheaper here than in the city proper and very family friendly. The neat thing about Fleetwood is that the city it is in isn't all that great (south Mount Vernon is very sketch), so it is affordable, yet the neighborhood borders the relatively posh Bronxville, so it is safe & nice. 
    "She's the tied for the third-funniest person on this board!" -S13 Bumpies

Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"