October 2011 Moms
Options

Glider?

Last time we skipped the glider because they're so expensive and we had access to a beautiful wood rocking chair that belonged to the ILs.  Well, the rocking chair was beautiful but didn't work for nursing (the arms were too high; MIL found the same thing but never mentioned it) and made a creaking sound that wasn't helpful for middle-of-the-night rocking.  Now I'm considering getting one.  BRU has a glider and ottoman on sale this week for $150, or I can get a used one for $50 or $100 (some with an ottoman, some without).

What are your glider experiences?  Was it worth the money or was it a waste?  Is an ottoman that glides necessary (we have several extra stationary ottomans that we could use with it).  Anything else to consider?

BFP #1: July 12, 2010 Natural M/C: July 26, 2010

BFP #2: January 30 ,2011 Born: September 29, 2011

BFP #3: January 5, 2013 Born: August 25, 2013

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_sleep4&T=t_b22&D=20110929&M1=&D1=&T2=Our+Rosh+Hashanah+baby!&T1=Lily&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=&CT=&CG=F&O=m_baby7&T=t_b14&D=20130825&M1=&D1=&T2=&T1=Sammy&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=A&SC=green

Re: Glider?

• Options
    I'm still using mine every night.  Ours is Dutailier brand and it's been really great.  The arms used to be the perfect length apart for holding the baby and nursing without needing the Boppy.  Even as he's grown taller we still use it for bedtime stories, bottle and some rocking.  We have a gliding ottoman too, but I don't think it's a necessity.  Also, I've been really pleased with the fabric on it.  I got off-white and even after some spit-up and daily use its color is holding up great!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I would check Craigslist and yard sales for a Dutalier if you don't want to buy one new. I would also skip the ottoman. I never found the gliding ones comfortable, they aren't the right height and I don't like them moving lol.

If you want to buy a new chair in a lower price range I would just make sure it's nicely padded and reclines.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    LOVE our glider and gliding ottoman!  My SIL passed hers down, and it's the perfect size for me.  I've used it every night, and if I had to purchase one, I'd totally do it.  If I were you, I'd try to get it second hand, since the padding and such can be removed and washed.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

The glider was our most expensive purchase (possibly even combining everything else we bought) and it was worth every.single.penny.

There is a good possibility that I've spent more time in that glider than I have in my own bed. Between the initial nursing period, night nursings, and most nursings following the four month wakeful period when we had to move to his room to keep him distraction free, I've spent a good amount of time in it. I've slept in it, nursed in it, DH has fed him in it, and does nightly stories with it. There hasn't been one day that it hasn't been us. (and it still looks like new)

I didn't like the look of the dutaliers and Shermag gliders, so we went with one of the Best Chair Storybook Series, along with the gliding ottoman. 

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

We bought a new one from Burlington Coat Factory for my DD and spent about $200. I still use it every night. For DS we bought one off Craigslist for $30. It's actually better than the new one I bought for my DD! We still use his every night also. I'd be lost right now without our gliders, we read in them for every nap and for bed. Once they transition to big girl/boy beds, then we will ditch the gliders.

I found my glider essential for my DD, but my DS didn't use it much in the newborn phase. Now though we couldn't live without it as he loves to read in it.  

ETA: we have ottomans for both gliders. In DDs room I use the ottoman all the time. In DS's never because there's no room. I don't prefer either. I guess I'm impartial to the ottoman.  

• Options
    I have a rocker recliner from BRU and I live it. I decided against an ottoman as I felt reclining would be better. I never reclined with Alastair, just gently rocked and it was awesome. With Aidan, I slept reclined a few times and it works well.
    I am pro glider and meh ottoman.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I know some people love them but we have never used ours...for either kid....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"