Natural Birth
Options

TIME article on birth center study

https://healthland.time.com/2013/01/31/midwives-say-birthing-centers-could-cut-c-section-rates-and-save-billions/

TIME magazine did an article covering a national birth center study involving over 15,000 women that concluded if more women used midwife-led birth center care, the nation's C-section rate would drop dramatically and it would save the health care industry billions of dollars.

A little AWish: My birth center experience is featured at the end of the article :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: TIME article on birth center study

• Options

That is awesome you are in the article and I'm glad that they are doing it!!

I think it makes sense to have birth centers attached to hospitals. You only see the OB if you become high risk and during delivery if something happens they ship you over to the hospital part. I would think all hospitals would want this anyway.

Most of the OB's I've met really have no interest in the actual birth experience so you would think they would want to leave it to midwives and come in when the interesting stuff pops up. 

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagejinnymb:
    That is awesome you are in the article and I'm glad that they are doing it!! I think it makes sense to have birth centers attached to hospitals. You only see the OB if you become high risk and during delivery if something happens they ship you over to the hospital part. I would think all hospitals would want this anyway.Most of the OB's I've met really have no interest in the actual birth experience so you would think they would want to leave it to midwives and come in when the interesting stuff pops up.nbsp;

I delivered at an in hospital birthing center; it was a floor away from regular labor and delivery and like an entirely different world, quiet, serene, almost hotel like.

The only drawback was the heavy prescreening you needed to go through to be "approved" to use it. There was a 10 page form and if you had more than two "risk factors" on it, you risked out. I'm not sure how that compares to standalone birthing centers, but it annoyed me how risk averse hospitals are. I could have "risked out" for anything from being overdue to having a large baby to having gestational diabetes.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the story, OP!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageNechie122:
    imagejinnymb:
    That is awesome you are in the article and I'm glad that they are doing it!! I think it makes sense to have birth centers attached to hospitals. You only see the OB if you become high risk and during delivery if something happens they ship you over to the hospital part. I would think all hospitals would want this anyway.Most of the OB's I've met really have no interest in the actual birth experience so you would think they would want to leave it to midwives and come in when the interesting stuff pops up.nbsp;
    I delivered at an in hospital birthing center; it was a floor away from regular labor and delivery and like an entirely different world, quiet, serene, almost hotel like. The only drawback was the heavy prescreening you needed to go through to be "approved" to use it. There was a 10 page form and if you had more than two "risk factors" on it, you risked out. I'm not sure how that compares to standalone birthing centers, but it annoyed me how risk averse hospitals are. I could have "risked out" for anything from being overdue to having a large baby to having gestational diabetes. Anyway, thanks for sharing the story, OP!

Oh wow I didn't know they made people go through such hoops.  Yeah I wonder if a stand alone place would do that or a home birth mid-wife.  I had both my in the hospital, but kind of wished I would have looked around more before starting this process. 

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Most midwives would way the risks . I have had three births at a stand alone birth center and my midwife takes on cases I'm sure birth centers in hospitals wouldn't even entertain . I think it's a midwife to midwife decision based on what the state will allow them to take on.
  • Options
    Great article, thanks for sharing.  I'll be giving birth at a stand-alone birth center adn couldn't be happier with my choice so far.
  • Options
    imageKrisM86:

https://healthland.time.com/2013/01/31/midwives-say-birthing-centers-could-cut-c-section-rates-and-save-billions/

TIME magazine did an article covering a national birth center study involving over 15,000 women that concluded if more women used midwife-led birth center care, the nation's C-section rate would drop dramatically and it would save the health care industry billions of dollars.

A little AWish: My birth center experience is featured at the end of the article :) 

Kris - thanks for posting this (saw it on oct.11).  I don't think I replied to that thread so I wanted to be sure I did so here.  I enjoyed reading that - congrats on your feature at the end.  :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageDeez10:
    imageKrisM86:

A little AWish: My birth center experience is featured at the lend of the article :) 

Kris - thanks for posting this (saw it on oct.11).  I don't think I replied to that thread so I wanted to be sure I did so here.  I enjoyed reading that - congrats on your feature at the end.  :)

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed the article :

• Options

and then there is my lovely state of Illinois where there are no birth centers :(

The first one just got approved to be built in a Chicago suburb, but no timeline on when it will be open. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageNechie122:
    imagejinnymb:
    I delivered at an in hospital birthing center; it was a floor away from regular labor and delivery and like an entirely different world, quiet, serene, almost hotel like. The only drawback was the heavy prescreening you needed to go through to be "approved" to use it. There was a 10 page form and if you had more than two "risk factors" on it, you risked out. I'm not sure how that compares to standalone birthing centers, but it annoyed me how risk averse hospitals are. I could have "risked out" for anything from being overdue to having a large baby to having gestational diabetes. Anyway, thanks for sharing the story, OP!

I contemplated a birth center, but ultimately went for the attached hospital. I was a good candidate (healthy, low risk, etc). Turns out I would have been turfed to the hospital in the end due to meconium, though that appeared when my water broke about 45 minutes before delivery.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"