Stay at Home Moms
Options

This Ecard..

Funny Baby Ecard: I think the saying shouldn't be 'I slept like a baby.' Let's change it to 'I slept like a husband.'

This Ecard got me thinking. I saw it over the weekend but couldn't post about it until now because I was mobile all weekend. 

Does your husband get up and help in the middle of the night? Do you do all the night work since YH has to work all day? 

In our house, its completely split. Sometimes I get up, sometimes DH gets up. This Ecard kind of gets on my nerves, honestly. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: This Ecard..

• Options

He'd get up to change the baby's diaper while I got comfortable on the couch and found something to watch but then he'd go back to bed.  I BF'd so that's pretty much all he could do.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

The baby doesn't wake up my husband.  He will wake up if I wake him up and ask him to take care of her, but the crying doesn't phase him.  He slept through the night long before the kiddos did :)

On the other hand, his pager doesn't wake me up when he is on call.  Wierd.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

with ds1 he never helped it was always me...now with ds2 its split. I actually sleep harder than my husband so something he wakes me up if I need to nurse.

I agree that we don't give men/husbands/etc enough credit!! my dh helps out a lot with the kids and around the house. my mom always said just because they do something different doesn't mean its wrong.

• Options
    imageM&MHaveMyHeart:

We were blessed with an awesome sleeper so when DS was a newborn, night "duties" only lasted about 2 months. DH only had to get up twice a night after we all went to sleep to feed DS. He told me he wanted to have that time with his son & also give me rest. He can go back to sleep almost instantly. I, on the other hand, take a while so he didn't mind at all.

Since DS was two months, I could probably count on one hand how many times he got up during the night (mostly when he was teething) & DH got up with him to console him.  

This is kind of the boat were in. Elliot sleeps about 12 hours a night without waking. but if he's sick or having bad teething pain then he'll wake up
  • Options

We share now. We usually both end up waking up anyway, but we generally take turns going in to check on her/get her. 

We tried sharing night wakings in the beginning, but since I was BFing round the clock (she never took a bottle), it seemed pointless for him to wake up simply for the sake of being awake because I was.  I didn't really mind because I got to take naps during the day, and he doesn't usually have that option. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    DD doesn't wake up during the night any more, so it isn't an issue, but DH never did anything at night. That's only because that's how I wanted it though. We co-slept for a long time, and even when we didn't, she never took a bottle so I always had to nurse her. Also, I can always take a nap during the day while she naps, and DH doesn't have that luxury.... I never minded getting up with her, I actually kind of miss it.... 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Actually, that e-card is pretty perfect for our house. He helped some the first month or so, but after that it was all me. I'm pretty nervous about what we'll do if we have another LO, but I guess we'll adapt just like we did this time.

• Options

It is kind of different for us. DH works 2nd shift so he doesnt get home until 3:45/4am. So I am the one usually getting up with DS. But if he wakes up after H gets home he will stay up with him.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers ANGELS ARE GIVEN WINGS AND TAKEN BACK TOO SOON --- We love and miss you soo much Kacie Rae --- 9/11/10 --- born sleeping at 29wks2d
  • Options
    DH has never done anything at night. Mostly because I nurse DS back to sleep, so there's no point. Plus, DS still wakes 3 or 4 times a night, so it's not a negligible amount.

I don't mind, except for when DS fights going back to sleep and stays up for an hour or two. Which happens pretty much once every night. I spend the entire time laying him back down, rubbing his back, etc. Then as I'm leaving he smiles and stands up.

Plus, I'll be honest, I've had DH go to DS a couple times if he wakes up while we're still up, and it never goes well. DS just wants to nurse, so why make everyone miserable and then still have to go to DS?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DH gets up in the middle of the night only on weekends, or if he is already up he'll go to Sophia's room and bring her to me (she still BFs). He takes care of her in the morning, though, so I can sleep another 20 minutes or so.
  • Options
    DH sleeps through everything. He has always been this way, so it was no surprise that he was no help in the early days when DS was waking up at night. I think DH got up once in the first 3 months, and this was only because he had just had his wisdom teeth removed and was taking Lortab for the pain. He told me at the time to not get used to it because the Lortab made him jittery and he was unable to sleep. Luckily, DS STTN now, so no biggie.
  • Options
    This ecard makes me laugh, because it's mostly true in my house.  My Dh can sleep though a bomb going off.  (For instance, I dropped a large object on the tile the other night, making a noise like someone was breaking in, and he didn't even stir.  At all.)  But he does wake up for work at 2am so he gets the benefit of the doubt most night. ;)
    _____________________________________________________________________________

SAHM to 4 kiddos... K (5/05), N (4/09), C (11/10) and Baby A 1/13/14

• Options

I have to admit I chuckled at this ecard.  DS STTN now, but earlier I would always get up because I breastfed and I'd need to pump anyway.  DH LOVES sleep.  I actually get annoyed when he wants to sleep in.  I tell him over and over that those days are in the past.  Actually yesterday he got up at 7:45 soon after I got up for LO.  I was so happy because I was ready for him to try to sleep in.

But that is my experience.  I completely understand getting annoyed by things like that.  DH and I really dislike most commercials or sitcoms nowadays.  Its really hard to find a good, confident, loving man in them.  Most of them are bumbling fools or slimballs.

Our Bucco

IMG_0039

Next Up!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Seriously, how many times a week do we talk about this? LOL
  • Options
    imageKateMW:

LOL have we talked about this before?! I've totally missed it! haha! sorry for the repost! 
  • Options
    imageunaveragejane:
    Actually, that ecard is pretty perfect for our house. He helped some the first month or so, but after that it was all me. I'm pretty nervous about what we'll do if we have another LO, but I guess we'll adapt just like we did this time.

This. On the weekends DH will take the monitor and get up with DD if he wakes up. This gives me one night/ morning to sleep and home one night/morning to sleep. During the week I get up since he was to get up for work at 6 and I usually get up w DD at 7:30. Plus if I'm really tired I can always take a nap when she does.

• Options
    Ug. This is a huge source of pissed off-edness with me and DH. Once he falls asleep, he's out. OUT. A screaming baby won't wake him. A gentle sleepy nudge from me won't wake him. Most of the time a shove and me saying loudly get the baby will wake him. Even then, he is pretty out of it. One time, Sully wouldn't go back to sleep after it was his turn and when I angrily got out of bed to see what was the matter, the bottle was full next to the crib and DS had socks on under his sleeper. WTF? I try to be understanding that he isn't TRYING to be an ?ss, but jesus it pisses me off.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

My DH usually helps out. The amount varies based on if it's been a rough few nights or if it's the first rough one. If he knows I'm completely run down from being up for a few nights he really steps up so I can get caught up on sleep. 

Honestly the e-card makes me laugh and I've said it before in joking.  

• Options
    I BF so I do most of the getting up. If he notices during the day that I'm tired though, that night he'll get up with me and take care of getting Jax back to bed after I nurse him. Other than that, he sleeps like a log. I don't mind most of the time, because he has to go to work really early and drive forklifts, boom trucks etc, and I'd rather him get enough sleep and be safe to operate heavy machinery, than stay up and possibly have an accident.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Options
    DH is a light sleeper and I sleep like the dead (seriously, in college a few times he had to carry me out of the dorm because the fire alarm went off and I didn't hear it). When I'm nursing he changes the baby's diaper and brings them to me to eat then I put them back in bed. When I'm not nursing he just takes care of whatever they need. He always says that it makes no sense for him to wake me up when he hears them anyway. He also could always function on less sleep where I never could.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

DH sleeps through the kids waking up.  In general, DH has DS duty and I have DD duty, b/c that's who they prefer at night.  I have to smack DH awake if DS is calling for him.

So, the ecard works for our house. 

• Options

I can count on one hand the times DH has gotten up out of sleep to help with DS. If he's going to take him for the night (which, he's also only done a handful of times, even on weekends... grrr.) he just stays up until he's "done" and then will come get me. 

Sometimes it'd be nice to just have him pass the baby to me after I'm set up to feed him. /sigh. Oh wells.  It takes a bomb to wake him up once he's asleep.  

EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • Options
    imageAliciaS1411:
    imageKateMW:

LOL have we talked about this before?! I've totally missed it! haha! sorry for the repost! 

Like every week. 

• Options
    DH never gets up with the kids now that I SAH. When I worked, we took turns unless it was because the LO needed to nurse then only I got up.
  • Options
    imageHav=Fath:

I didn't read all the responses but I think it's selfish (not sure what other word to use) for the husband to have to get up when he is going to work the next day and the mom is going to be home. Flame away. 

Me & H both work from home and Hadley STTN at 4 weeks old, but until she was 4 weeks old he was in the police academy and there was no way I was going to expect him to get up to take care of her when he worked so hard during the day.  

Well, sure...at 4 weeks my husband would have only been back at work full time for around 2 weeks. But considering DD didn't STTN until 14 months, he was worried about my well being and helped without me asking. I damn sure needed him too at that point and expected as my partner for him to step up.  

• Options
    I totally agree with the ecard! I breastfed for the first year so my husband couldn't really be all that involved in night time activities. He also works long hours so I would have probably done most, if not all, if he was bottle feeding. My husband is the hardest sleeper EVER and during the first 9 months when I was still getting up with her I wanted to smack him in his sleep on several occasions just because he looked to dang peaceful. 
  • Options
    imageHav=Fath:
    imageKateMW:
    imageHav=Fath:

I didn't read all the responses but I think it's selfish (not sure what other word to use) for the husband to have to get up when he is going to work the next day and the mom is going to be home. Flame away. 

Me & H both work from home and Hadley STTN at 4 weeks old, but until she was 4 weeks old he was in the police academy and there was no way I was going to expect him to get up to take care of her when he worked so hard during the day.  

Well, sure...at 4 weeks my husband would have only been back at work full time for around 2 weeks. But considering DD didn't STTN until 14 months, he was worried about my well being and helped without me asking. I damn sure needed him too at that point and expected as my partner for him to step up.  

Even if your H worked a demanding job, would you have expected him to get up with her during the night on a regular basis?

I often think that I don't expect enough (of anyone in my life), I just would never expect my H to if he worked hard during the day.  

Yep, we rotated nights. He offered, but had he not, I would have asked anyway. He is my partner in life, raising our child and my best friend. He didn't want to see my suffer. I couldn't function with as little sleep as I was getting. It was making my PPD much worse and he is much better on less sleep.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"