August 2012 Moms

Nursery Door. Open/Closed?

Okay. We're getting close to the point that I have to transition my baby to her nursery at night. Of course she's coming back in the room with me a few weeks later when DH is out of town because I don't want her that far away while hes gone but that is beside the point.

We have 2 dogs who we kick out of our room at night and they roam the house.

Should I be keeping the nursery door open or closed at night?

Usually we shut them out of the room so they don't jingle their collars or flap their ears at her...but with her being not immediately in my sights I think I feel better with them being able to check on her/alert me if anything is wrong.

BUT her nursery stays kinda cold if we do not have the door shut.... well the rest of the house is kind of cold if we have our door shut. Maybe we need to keep our door open?

Anyway, nursery door, open or closed for you?

Clearly I'm rambling because I'm up at 4:30 am!

Re: Nursery Door. Open/Closed?

• And then I just read what punk wrote about the 14 month old dying of SIDS. Chloe is staying in our room for a while more now I think....
  • We leave it cracked open with hall light on as they get scared in dark. We only had a cat no noisy dogs in your case closed with a night light.

Do you have a monitor? You can hear them breathing with a good one I think she should be doing her own crib now but that's my opinion. GL
  • Loading the player...
  • In your situation I would keep it closed. Our dogs sleep on the floor in our room and don't move.

I'm transitioning DS this weekend and have a video monitor. My cousin has a movement and likes hers.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Closed.  Both because our dog would wander in there and just make too much noise with his tail banging into everything, and because it's a fire safety.  God forbid if there's a fire in the house, the closed nursery door would delay smoke and flames from getting into the room.  
  • I have it closed in the evening and once we go to bed for the night I leave it ajar. I don't have dogs though. I'd keep it closed since they wander and I'd worry they keep him awake or wake him up. Good luck.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We used to leave it open before we actually moved him in there. Now that he's in there, we keep it closed because my cat loves to lay with him and I'm not comfortable with that while I'm asleep.
    A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• We close the door. He has a floor fan running for white noise. It's what we've done since ODS because then we can be out here watching TV and what not and he doesn't hear it and doesn't wake up. I have a regular monitor by my bed.

Mom of 2 monkeys and 1 on the way!
           Christian12/06, Liam 08/12, Monkey #3 10/10 

• Closed!
    WEBONLY_NOPRINT_DSC_1509-2-2236294072-O
    DS #1 Born: 10/03/06, DS #2 Born: 08/06/12 My Cooking Blog
  • I've always kept my kids' doors closed, primarily for noise reasons, so they don't wake up from noises we make in the evening, etc. As they get older it's also a good "signal" that it is time to go to sleep when I put you in bed and close the door.

And now with DS in a bed instead of a crib, I keep it shut with a doorknob cover on the inside because I don't want him to be out roaming around if I haven't come to get him.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We also have a dog. Generally we leave the door open. He likes to go in,check on her and come back at night.  That being said, if my husband is going to be home late, I close the door because the dog barks A LOT and wakes the baby.  Once the dog is calmed down, then I open the door again.
  • we have a small space heater in Addy's room so i keep her door shut most of the way (it doesn't shut well anyway).  our Dog roams the house at night and doesn't bother the baby at all. he'll come wake us up if he needs to go outside, but i've yet to find him in her room at all.
    10/15/10 HPT+ 10/16/10 +blood test! missed m/c found at 17w, gone at aprox 14w., D&C
    4/26/11 HPT+ 4/28/11 +Blood test! HCG 67 5/24/11 Blighted Ovum.
    6/11-11/11 Non ovulatory cycles
    12/18/11 HPT+ 12/20/11 +Blood Test HCG 165 12/27/11 Beta test HCG 6411
    12/29/11 Beta 11264 1/30/11 Wiggler w/ HB 160+
    Grow Baby Grow!!!! Please be our rainbow!
    Rainbow Born 8/22, so in love with our little girl!
    Valentines
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker</a
  • We keep it in open. It gets stuffy in there if the heat is on without any air flow.

We have a dog, but it hasn't been a problem.
  • Closed.  DS's bedroom is upstairs and the upstairs hallway is open to our great room so he'd never sleep.  Plus it would be cold with the door open. 

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• We keep Landen's door closed because of the dogs. If not he will wake up when they roam the halls at night!
  • Closed.  I don't want DS waking the girls and visa versa.

DH and I married 8 years. Mom of three, stepmom of one.

• Closed to keep the cats out of her room. We have an angel care monitor. Now that she rolls it has gone off a couple times when she works herself onto her side all the way at the end of the crib. Terrifying but I'm glad it works!
  • Open, but we put 2 cheap wooden baby gates in the door way (one on top of the other) to keep the cats out.

It gets down to 64 at night if we keep her door shut even though the temp is set at 70. We tried to put the cats in the den at night but they started hiding as soon as we would take DD to her room and it would take us forever to find them and get them out. So far, knock on wood, the 2 gate thing is working. Cats are staying out and DD's room is a happy temp with the door open.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
  • Closed. LO needs dark and quiet, and we have a mischievous cat who loves her crib!
  • DS is still in our room, but we leave DD's door just slightly open at night (and the same for our door when DS is sleeping, but we aren't). But we have a gate to keep our dog out of that part of the house.

If your dogs can get to LO's room, I would definitely shut the door. I wouldn't sleep at all trying to listen for the dogs getting in the nursery all night, and I wouldn't give a pet a chance to be alone with baby, even if they usually are good.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"