November 2012 Moms
Options

Hemangioma

Anyone else's LO have a hemangioma? Benjamin has one on his right shoulder. I asked the Dr about it at his well visit yesterday. He says it will probably grow on the surface and get wider for the first year of life. Then it will disappear by the age of 5 or so... WEIRD! I saw some terrible looking ones online that are one baby's face! Poor things! I guess it's most common on the face and neck. I'm glad it's on his shoulder then. He said there is no cause for concern unless it starts to grow beneath the skin. It would be like a shoulder pad in his case. If that happens he said there may need to be steroid or laser treatment in the future but that this is rare. I'd never heard of this before! According to What To Expect... it's about 1 in 10 babies! Anyone else?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hemangioma

• Options
    My little one has one on the inside of her nose right at the end. Her phys said it more than likely will fade away.
  • Options

My DD has a small one right on her hairline.  It showed up when she was 2-3 wks old and has grown a little.  Our pediatrician isn't remotely concerned.  Same as you mention... should grow a little more and then go away on it's own.

Actually, I've seen quite a few babies with these in the past.  When I was at Costco over the weekend, a woman working there was oogling over my cute girls (braggy mom for that brief sec) :) and then she said, Oh, she even has a little hemangioma.  Then she said her granddaughter had a dime-sized one in the middle of her forehead when she was born and she is now 7 and there's no sign of it whatsoever.

IMG_0933 Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Don't know if this will work, but trying to post a pic of daughter's hemangioma.  I was concerned at first too... but if this is her biggest issue, we are in great shape! :)

IMG_0906 by dhelenl9, on Flickr 

IMG_0933 Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    B has a fairly large one on the very top of her head. It started out small and got a fair amount bigger. Luckily the pedi isn't concerned, and like others said, he said it should fade away a little in a year and almost totally by the time she is 5. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker
  • Options

Visiting from another BMB as I occasionally do searches on hemangioma a due to our experience. Our daughter developed one on her neck shortly after birth and it grew to about the size of a half dollar and about 1/4 inch raised. It would have gone untreated, but at six months it started to rub against her car seat strap and ulcerated, so we did go ahead with treatment. The great news is there is a NEW treatment for hemangioma a that is so much better than steroids or surgery. It's an experimental use of a drug that has been used on children for decades called propranolol. Within a month of starting it, her hemangioma was half size and now, six months later it is 90% gone. The side effects are minimal.  

• Options
    Yes! Z has one on his ribcage. It started as a little dot and got bigger. We asked the pedi about it this past week and she says they start around 1 month and grow bigger, redder, until about 1 year, then they go away. Alternatively, I had one on my face that I was born with. It went away by the time I was 2. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"