Babies: 3 - 6 Months

long flight with 4-month-old?

I'm hopping over from the 0-3 mo board in hopes that you guys have some experience/wisdom you can share.

What do you think about taking a just-turned 4-month-old on a 10-14 hour flight (exact length depends on length of layovers).  Has anyone done it?  Anyone strongly recommend or discourage going?  Any tips?  Would you recommend shorter or longer layovers?

This is for a vacation to a friend's beach house-- so we don't have to go, but it would be an affordable vacation (with non-negotiable destination)...

Thank you!

Re: long flight with 4-month-old?

• I'd totally do it! I have a very chill baby, very content and easy though. I flew with her at 2 months alone and it was
    easy peasy. I suggest longer layovers so your LO can lay on a blanket and play and stretch and you can change diapers, etc. Go for it!
  • Before buying the tickets I would really think it over. Even the best babies have bad days and on a plan you can't just get up and leave. Also, if you are breast feeding would you comfortable feeding in public since bottles taken out of the refrigerator are only good for about 4 hours. For me that would be a nightmare. At 2 months she was a very calm baby only fussing when hungry or wanting to be held. Now there a days when she will scream for hours with nothing calming her. If it was me id wait until your child's a little older. However, that's just my two cents take it for what it's worth.

• Loading the player...
  • We've flown from Scandinavia to the West Coast with a layover in London (2 hour flight, 2 hour layover, 11 hour flight) when our baby was almost 4 months and it went totally OK. She didn't have any pain during takeoff/landing. She had one quick meltdown 8 hours into the second flight but it lasted just a couple of minutes. The strange thing was that even though it was a red-eye and she usually sleeps pretty well at night, she could only sleep for max 1 hour in her sky cot (Virgin Atlantic provides them - they're a bassinet which attaches to the wall during the flight but you have to request them beforehand) so we had to be awake basically the entire flight (exhausting) although she dealt with the time change really well afterwards. She also ate A TON during the flight so it was helpful that we had brought way more diapers then we ever though she could use and a package of dry formula.
  • At this point, it's easier to fly with them.  I flew with DD when she was just over a year old and it was rough.  4 month old babies still really only need sleep, food, to be held and the occasional entertainment.  I'd say go for it!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • My baby is four and a half months old and I have flown with him on 8 separate 4-hour flights. (My work requires travel and I bring him with me).  Every flight has been different for him and I don't think you should plan your trip based on whether or not you think your baby will be a good traveler. Instead, I think you should just base it on whether or not you will be able to handle the worst-case-scenarios that could arise: non-stop screaming, diaper blow out on you and baby, spit up all over you and baby (or worse - the guy next to you), rude people sitting around you, etc ...  Plus, you really do need to be comfortable breast feeding 6 inches from the guy next to you (unless you formula feed). 

I say all of this because I think that my insecurities and fears were the most significant challenges to overcome.  Most people are very nice and understand that babies fuss at times.  Every single flight numerous men and women would tell me their horror stories of traveling with their kids at that age. :) But, still, I get a knot in my stomach every time he starts crying because I cant help but think about how I must be annoying those around me.  It is just starting to get easier for me as I realize that he isn't that loud, most people wear headphones now, and I paid just as much for my seat as they did. :)

A few tips for you: try to get a bulkhead seat (I lay a blanket on the floor and let my son stretch out as I hand him toys), bring a mirror (My son loves looking at himself and the little mirror from his activity mat is easy to pack and easy to hold while holding him),  wear a fleece jacket or something similar so you can stuff pacifiers and other toys in the pockets to keep them within reach and clean, get a window seat (this allows you and the baby to stitch out more without worrying about the aisle - when I sat in the aisle seat once the flight attendant rammed his head with the cart), and bring a variety of toys (teethers, sound makers, bright lights, etc. ) because you never know what they will like that day.

Ope that helps and good luck! I say you should go and enjoy the sun :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"