Baby Names

Help me fall in love with a boys' name!

I have a son named Julius Arthur, and if our second child is a boy, we are having a tough time finding a name we love.  The four that seem "perfect on paper" are ones I just don't love, and the ones I love all have a major drawback that renders them almost unusable to us (e.g., I hate the nickname, or the name is becoming extremely popular).

Here are the four "perfect on paper" names: they're literary, biblical, or old-fashioned; they're familiar and easy to spell; they're about the popularity level that I want; I like all the potential nicknames; and I think they sound good with Julius as a brother.  Can you help me find some way to fall in love with one of them?  Is there a wonderful book or movie with one of these as the main character?

Quentin

Simon

Abram

Casper

------------------

Thank you!

EDIT:  I get that they're not everyone's cup of tea, but they're "perfect on paper" in terms of meeting all my requirements to a T.  I don't mind the Casper the Friendly Ghost association at all.  My son is Julius, in spite of the Paul Frank monkey.  And the San Quentin thing doesn't bother me either, in spite of the fact that I live near the prison. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Help me fall in love with a boys' name!

• I wish I could help. Maybe they arenMt perfect on paper either? All I can think of is San Quentin, Simon Cowell, and Casper the friendly ghost. Abram doesnt do anything for me either. So sorry!

bfp #1 10/15/2009 m/c 11/4/09 10 weeks Lily you are not forgotten
    bfp #2 4/5/2010 CP, m/c 4/12/10 5 weeks Baby Lo
    Diagnosed PCOS 10/10 RX 1500 mg Metformin/day
    bfp#3 4/5/2011 Missed m/c discovered 5/24/2011 (10w 5d) baby Asher stopped growing at 6 weeks
    I know he is playing with his siblings in heaven right now...

rx'd factor II gene mutation 7/11 prescribed 5000 units Heparin daily
    rx'd Sjogren's Disease 8/11

bfp #4 9-6-2012 RAINBOW Baby Ky born 5-9-13
    bfp #5 8-26-14  RAINBOW #2 Due 5-8-2015

baby development
  • Simon - like Paul Simon...Quentin like Quentin Tarantino (if you like that sort of thing my husband sure does) Abram is nice because it's classic sounding without being Abraham like Lincoln lol and Casper is just not my style it sounds like a good name for a cat!
  • Loading the player...
  • I actually love Quentin, Simon, and Abram! All 3! Casper is just okay to me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I loooove Simon and Abram

Simon: Tam (the doctor on Firefly), Baker (the Mentalist), Neil (playwright), the 80s game, and Garfunkel, Pegg (British actor), brother of Alvin and Theodore....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_(given_name) 

Abram: ok, so the only famous one I can think of is Stroker, but Bram is an awesome nn

• imagenykkybaby:
    I wish I could help. Maybe they arenMt perfect on paper either? All I can think of is San Quentin, Simon Cowell, and Casper the friendly ghost. Abram doesnt do anything for me either. So sorry!

My thoughts exactly. Sorry! Tho I especially don't like Casper I see a lot of teasing potential there. Good luck.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • DS1 is Benjamin Matthew (chosen because of family names, not due to popularity), DS2 is Quentin James (we LOVE the name and paired it with a family-tie mn) - for a nickname we call him Q and it totally suits him. I also like that it's not a name (or nickname) that you hear all the time.  To me it grew the best from fitting a boy to a man.  My husband and I wanted our boys' names to be strong, masculine and sophisticated - this is one of those names that fit our criteria. Though in your case, for some reason I am drawn to Abram and how it looks/sounds with Julius. GL! Smile
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I love Quentin but sorry I can't think of any wonderful name associations for any of them. Casper does remind me of Casper the ghost so I'm not so hot on that one.
  • I think Simon, but I like Quentin a lot. Quentin might be a better fit with Julius. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • This may not be what you wanted to hear, but I am actually going to suggest that instead of trying to find reasons to love the names you think are better on paper, maybe you should instead try to find reasons why the problems you have with the names you love aren't that big of a deal. The board may be able to help with that as well if you're willing to share those names. 

I named my DS a name that was better on paper (to me), but that I didn't love, and gave up a couple names I loved because I had reservations about them. It's not that I regret the name DH and I chose for DS because I do like his name. And certainly in the 8 months he has been alive he has really "become" his name. It's hard to picture him as anything else now. But there are times when I hear or think about those other names I loved and feel a little twinge of sadness that I didn't just go with my gut.

FWIW, of your "perfect on paper" names, I really really like Abram. Both Abe and Bram are great nicknames.  

• Love Simon!
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• I love all of them...including Julius! I hope you use Casper!
  • I really like Quentin Abram!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• imageMamaofthesea:

This may not be what you wanted to hear, but I am actually going to suggest that instead of trying to find reasons to love the names you think are better on paper, maybe you should instead try to find reasons why the problems you have with the names you love aren't that big of a deal. The board may be able to help with that as well if you're willing to share those names. 

Yes, I'm actually planning to post those as well (and explain why I have reservations).  Look for my next post!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't like the names you have to go with Julius. Not saying mine are any better. As soon as I saw Julius I thought of either Dorian or Niles.
  • Contrary to some pp, I think Casper is a good name and I doubt that kids now would know the reference to Casper the Friendly Ghost.  Kids would probably know the name Simon more from Alvin & the Chipmunks.

Have you considered Miles?  Julius and Miles sound good together! 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • I like Simon and Abram but I can't think of any connections that haven't already been made.
  • I don't know of any characters off the top of my head that might sway you, but I I think the names themselves have a lot of character.  My favorite is Casper, though it runs in my family.  I don't mind the ghost association either, and think Cas is a great nn.  GL

• I love Simon and Abram! They are both on my list for this LO if it's a boy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"