Food Allergy

Epipen Question - Traveling by plane

I (thankfully) haven't had to use the epipen yet. We are taking the kids to Cabo in a couple weeks and am bringing 4 epipens. (DD is allergic to egg, dairy, peanut). I've heard something along the lines that 1 epipen buys you 15 minutes. Is that true? I'm just worried if something happens on the plane would I administer the epi every 15 minutes? 

I'm so mad at myself, I was just at the pedi for my son's check up and should have asked these questions. If you guys aren't sure I'll call the pedi.

Also, do you know about flying with liquid meds? I need to bring benadryl on the plane with us just in case. My bottle is more than 3oz, would I just take it out and let the TSA know we need it on the plane? Do I need any doc notes?

Thanks! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Epipen Question - Traveling by plane

• I took 7 epi pens with me in my carry on.  I carried all on board and didn't check any.  I put them all in a gallon zip lock bag.  I brought 4 single serve Benadryl in carry on too.  I got the drs note for medication and I made sure to bring an epi pen box with the prescription label on it.  I put everything in my carry on and didn't say anything to tsa.  No one asked to see anything both times we went through security. 

• Ok good to know. I forgot about the single serving benadryls. I'll get those. What about if there's a reaction that requires the epi? How often do you keep giving them? I will have all mine with me too at all times.
    Thanks for the response.
  • Loading the player...
  • We didn't have a reaction.  The airline was great about not serving peanuts and we brought our own snacks.  I'd talk to your Dr about how many epipens to administer.  I know that they last about 15 minutes.  But your benadryl should take effect too and help with the reaction.  How long is your flight?  Ours was only 2 hours. 

We preboarded and I wiped everything down including the window and wall with chlorox wipes. 

I was a mess before we traveled but it all was ok and thankfully uneventful. 

• The flight is only about 3 hours. I've flown her to Hawaii which is 5 hours twice and never put much thought into it. Interesting how more real it becomes the older she gets.
    I plan to pre board too and wipe everything with Clorox wipes too. The thought of being up in the air and something happening is scary! Thanks for the response.
  • I've heard one per 15 minutes as well though yes, probably best to ask your doctor.  Remember too though that administering an epi is an emergency so they would try  to land the plane right away if that were to happen. You do however have to account for being over water, air traffic, other problems so this is why you have to bring multiple epis.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just flew with four pens and a bottle of children's Benadryl (not sure of size but it was over the limit) and had no problem.  We told security it was in our bag for DD's allergies.  We also had called TSA ahead of time and were told no documentation was needed from a doctor, but I brought the prescription labels for the pen just in case.  No one asked to see it though.  

Ive heard 15 minutes is the case in a severe reaction.  My DD is only allergic to milk so we don't have to worry about inhaling dust like you do with peanuts.  We had a short flight so I didn't really worry too much about a reaction.  I just bought all of my own food and wiped her tray down and armrests down as soon as we boarded.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have needed to personally use an epipen on myself and felt the adrenaline rush for about one hour, at least. For the severity of my reaction it do require 2 pens. It gives me enough time for my antihistamines to kick in. I would call the doc for clarification. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"